Advantages to booking directly with Celebrity?

smch916

I think slk230red was being sarcastic in saying you should book directly with Celebrity..

Yes!:rolleyes:

I have no reason to be in control. How am I going to get a price adjustment when I'm walking around Prague, or enjoying a day on the beach in Riviera Maya? I have someone to do that for me for free.

Looking to book our first cruise with Celebrity. Is there any specific advantages of booking directly with them as opposed to a discounter? Anything about booking with a discounter that I need to be wary of?
To me the biggest advantages are flexibility and having control of your own account.

If you book directly with Celebrity, you have 60 days to shop around and compare offers before transferring your booking to a TA, (although it used to be much better when they let us have until final payment to transfer the booking).

If you book directly with a TA, you are pretty well locked in with that company and it is difficult to take advantage of a better offer elsewhere. In order to switch, the TA needs to agree to release you, and some charge a hefty fee to do so.

Some charge a fee if you cancel for any reason, or just to process changes to your reservation.

So before you book with a TA, be sure to get all their terms and conditions up front to avoid unwelcome surprises later.

The other reason is that the cruise line will not deal with you directly any more once a TA holds your booking, so you need to go through a third party for everything.

Often that amounts to playing telephone tag where you call the TA, get their voicemail, leave a message, they contact the cruise line, then call you back and leave a message for you.

If you have a follow-up question, you then need to go through the whole cycle again.

While some passengers claim to have a personal relationship with their TA who will always immediately answer their call in person, most do not.

Everyone always says to get a "good" travel agent, but unfortunately you don't really find out whether or not you have a "good" one until a serious problem occurs. They all can handle the routine stuff and you may go for years, or even decades, without encountering a serious problem.

But if you run into a serious problem that your TA can't handle, and the cruise line won't deal with you directly because a TA holds your booking, that can be quite frustrating.

Still, in most cases we find that the perks offered by travel agents do make it worthwhile to transfer your booking to one. You almost always can at least get onboard credit from them, and often other perks such as prepaid gratuities or insurance.

Sometimes you can even get a lower group rate if they put you into a group.

Just be aware that there are pros and cons either way.

Celebrity has a policy that a TA can not discount the fares.

Celebrity also allows TA's to arrange groups on their cruises and if a TA sets up a group, they can advertise and sell at the "group" rate rather than the official rate. While this sounds confusing, it's completely transparent to the passenger since the members of the group do not need to know anyone else in the group and most actually never realize they are part of a group booking...it's just a financial deal with no ramifications other than you are paying less than the official "can't be discounted" rate.

The only potential issue if you are in a group booking is that shareholder OBC may not be available. We've got one coming up that has this situation, however the price we have for the room is awesome. It is a matter of doing the comparisons on price. Since we got the Capt Club OBC early booking OBC and the TA OBC, I'm not complaining!

Ok you guys are all touching on a subject that I really want to understand. - Transfering my booking from Celebrity to a TA.

Here are my questions :-)

1.) Why would celebrity be cool with letting us move our booking away from them? Does it not matter to them in the long run who holds the reservation?

2.) What is in it for the TA that I transfer to? Like, why do they even WANT me to transfer my booking to them? If they are offering me something (like OBC) if i transfer my booking, then aren't they barely making anything to begin with.

3.) How does one go about transfering a booking? Do you simply call the TA of your choosing, tell them your celebrity reservation number and then they transfer it for you?

I'm trying to understand all this because I will likely book a future cruise while on board this month. Does this mean that if i book say on October 20th, that I have only until December 20th to transfer that booking elsewhere, else i'm locked to Celebrity?

Love this thread, I am learning some new things :-)

Ok you guys are all touching on a subject that I really want to understand. - Transfering my booking from Celebrity to a TA.

Here are my questions :-)

1.) Why would celebrity be cool with letting us move our booking away from them? Does it not matter to them in the long run who holds the reservation?

2.) What is in it for the TA that I transfer to? Like, why do they even WANT me to transfer my booking to them? If they are offering me something (like OBC) if i transfer my booking, then aren't they barely making anything to begin with.

3.) How does one go about transfering a booking? Do you simply call the TA of your choosing, tell them your celebrity reservation number and then they transfer it for you?

I'm trying to understand all this because I will likely book a future cruise while on board this month. Does this mean that if i book say on October 20th, that I have only until December 20th to transfer that booking elsewhere, else i'm locked to Celebrity?

Love this thread, I am learning some new things :-)

In answer to your questions, TA is happy to inherit the booking because commission is earned. Celebrity is not "cool with it" about having to pay commission rather than keeping it all to themselves, but half a loaf is better than none, and they know that some guests prefer dealing with someone they know. Celebrity (and all other vendors) know that agents drive business to the supplier that will best satisfy their client and insure repeat business for all.

In answer to your questions, TA is happy to inherit the booking because commission is earned. Celebrity is not "cool with it" about having to pay commission rather than keeping it all to themselves, but half a loaf is better than none, and they know that some guests prefer dealing with someone they know. Celebrity (and all other vendors) know that agents drive business to the supplier that will best satisfy their client and insure repeat business for all.

If celebrity thought they could fill their ships without paying travel agents commissions, they would do it in an instant. They hate paying TA's, but they tolerate them because without them they wouldn't have a profitable business.

Airlines are no different....

:)Hi Everyone:

We very recently booked a 10 day Xpedition cruise to the Galapagos for early December ,2013, directly with Celebrity while we were on the Summit cruise to Bermuda Aug 26-Sept 2, 2013. We have until Nov 1 to transfer to a TA if we choose to. From what I can see on-line, this 10 day is already SOLD OUT!

From what we have been told and read, this cruise is all-inclusive of tips,obviously meals, all drinks,tours, etc!

Therefore, no OBC would be useful.

Your advise would be much appreciated. THis cruise was a LOT of $$$$$$!

We did not book airfare with Celebrity.

Gary & Norine

Well, you have 3 choices as I see it:

1. don't transfer your booking to a TA and get no extras.

2. transfer to a TA who gives perks, such as on board credit which you can use for spa services or shopping in the shops on board. In other words, figure out a way to spend your OBC.

3. choose a TA who gives you a rebate (usually 10% or more) by check.

I vary the agents I use, but I can for sure tell you that when I book an all-inclusive cruise such as Crystal or Regent, I book with a TA who offers a rebate as their reward for having my business. That way I don't have to worry about how I'm going to spend by OBC.

We very recently booked a 10 day Xpedition cruise to the Galapagos for early December ,2013, directly with Celebrity while we were on the Summit cruise to Bermuda Aug 26-Sept 2, 2013. We have until Nov 1 to transfer to a TA if we choose to. From what I can see on-line, this 10 day is already SOLD OUT!

From what we have been told and read, this cruise is all-inclusive of tips,obviously meals, all drinks,tours, etc!

Gary & Norine

It is difficult to give advice when you didn't tell us what the travel agents are offering you as an incentive to give them your booking.

Are they offering to pay for your travel insurance, or a pre-cruise and/or post cruise hotel?

Will they book you into a group for a lower price than you originally paid?

Are they offering you free airfare, or airfare at a much lower price than you can obtain on your own?

It just comes down to a matter of looking over whatever is being offered and deciding whether or not the value makes it worth the bother.

Now if you just want to transfer your booking to a friend or family member who is a travel agent to help out by giving that person your business, then that is a different story and is something that is frequently done.

Gary & Norine

I have always used all the OBC that my TA gave me, but understood if I did not, that it was refundable to my credit card.

"How does one go about transfering a booking? Do you simply call the TA of your choosing, tell them your celebrity reservation number and then they transfer it for you?"

I did just that, called my TA and she took care of it. There is also a form you can get from the Celebrity website to fax in where you name your TA, but my TA has always handled that for me.

You must now do this within 60 days of booking with Celebrity (used to be right up until final payment).

It is difficult to give advice when you didn't tell us what the travel agents are offering you as an incentive to give them your booking.

I have not approached any TAs yet.

Are they offering to pay for your travel insurance, or a pre-cruise and/or post cruise hotel? The 10 day "cruise" includes the pre and post stays/meals,etc and we have our own insurance for everything.

Will they book you into a group for a lower price than you originally paid? Cruise that we selected it SOLD OUT

Are they offering you free airfare, or airfare at a much lower price than you can obtain on your own? WE always book our own airfare.

It just comes down to a matter of looking over whatever is being offered and deciding whether or not the value makes it worth the bother. Sounds like a plan.

Now if you just want to transfer your booking to a friend or family member who is a travel agent to help out by giving that person your business, then that is a different story and is something that is frequently done. We don't mix business with family/friends(lol):)

Thanks, I will start checking TAs to see what can be offered.

Have a great day:

Gary & Norine

We book a seniors rate balcony with celebrity on the Equinox TA in Nov and I have yet to find a TA that is giving out any obc for a balcony

I am looking in the wrong places

Certainly in the US there were TA's giving OBC's in addition to your senior (or any other) fare. I don't know if you have TA's in canada that do that.

There is no requirement that Canadians use Canadian TAs.

Do your own research and find what works best for you. Period.

That said, can't imagine why anyone would leave money on the table.

We book a seniors rate balcony with celebrity on the Equinox TA in Nov and I have yet to find a TA that is giving out any obc for a balcony

I am looking in the wrong places

I think you may be doing that very thing...:confused:

The site I have used 9 times now is showing a balcony on your Equinox TA for $699pp :eek: w/100 OBC :) that IS combinable with Celebrity's (rccl) $250 stockholder OBC. :D

This is why I usually book with US travel agents. So far, I haven't had any problems (fingers crossed!). To me, getting an extra few hundred dollars in OBC is worth doing some research and going with a T.A. outside of Canada.

I have been booking with US Travel agents for 4 years. I found one which will let me book in either CAD or USD whichever is to my benefit. We get really good OBC's and service.

I think you may be doing that very thing...:confused:

The site I have used 9 times now is showing a balcony on your Equinox TA for $699pp :eek: w/100 OBC :) that IS combinable with Celebrity's (rccl) $250 stockholder OBC. :D

That is happy hour, new booking only

Email me the site mlkozlowski @ gmail.com

We have no stock

Archived