2 yr old and Seasickness

I know that babies don't have issues with motion sickness, but I've read that it can begin around 2 yrs old. Any experience with this? I don't anticipate that he will be, but any tips on preventing it or dealing with it should it occur? TIA!

Most younger kids are not going to get seasick...they are wobbly anyway...the motion may make them sleep great!

Talk to your pediatrician.....that's who should prescribe any meds, should your child need it...and I'm betting he won't!

I highly recommend that you speak with your pediatrician and not get advice on this board as to what to give your child.

It is highly unlikely that your child will get seasick.

Again, discuss this with your pediatrician.

Keith

We just had the 18 month check up for our dd and since we're taking a cruise at the end of the year (she'll be 21/22 mo) I asked a bunch of travel questions. She said seasickness shouldn't be a problem at that age. I also asked about meds to stop diarrhea if she got sick. The doctor said the side effects aren't good so they usually don't give anything to them. She did recommend bringing Pedialyte powder for fluids. I also asked about giving her Benadryl if she had a reaction to anything. I've never given it to my dd yet but got it after a hives incident. The doctor said we could give her the infant kind but know that in kids under two it may have the effect of hyper stimulation. Finally I asked about milk. We'll be gone for 12 days in all and since she drinks whole milk I asked if drinking 2% would be a problem since that's what will likely be on the ship. She said no problem. Of course you should talk to your own ped about anything specific, but just wanted to share what I recently found at ours.

We just had the 18 month check up for our dd and since we're taking a cruise at the end of the year (she'll be 21/22 mo) I asked a bunch of travel questions. She said seasickness shouldn't be a problem at that age. I also asked about meds to stop diarrhea if she got sick. The doctor said the side effects aren't good so they usually don't give anything to them. She did recommend bringing Pedialyte powder for fluids. I also asked about giving her Benadryl if she had a reaction to anything. I've never given it to my dd yet but got it after a hives incident. The doctor said we could give her the infant kind but know that in kids under two it may have the effect of hyper stimulation. Finally I asked about milk. We'll be gone for 12 days in all and since she drinks whole milk I asked if drinking 2% would be a problem since that's what will likely be on the ship. She said no problem. Of course you should talk to your own ped about anything specific, but just wanted to share what I recently found at ours.

Our Pediatrician said the same things when we asked.

I'm pretty sure they will be fine. We have been on a lot of cruises with my son (he is now 5) and last time we sailed out of NYC we had one day on which I had a hard time standing up, it was so rocky. The kids club was on Deck 14 and when we went to drop off my son it was like a roller coaster up there but all the kids were running around and having fun. We had a 9-year old friend's kid on a previous sailing who got seasick but at 2 they should be OK

Archived