LIVE from the Vision of the Seas Sailing 5 Oct 2012

We had a great Meet & Mingle Today...

IMG_1211.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1210.jpg

IMG_1209.jpgI see Santa is still with you! His busy season is fast approaching! Tell him I've been a good girl & want a cruise, for Christmas!

IMG_1208.jpg

IMG_1207.jpg

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Trainman...Thanks for the photo of the USS Midway (CV-41). The ship still looks good.

Enjoy the rest of the B2B. :)

I am so glad you posted the name! I was trying to think of it. It is a tour and museum now. Thanks. I appreciate the poster that talked about renovations for sea worthiness, but I don't think it sails anymore. It has been docked next to the cruise ship terminal for many years. :)

The food in the MDR might not be fantastic, but the spread they put out for you at the Meet and Mingle was very nice.

How come we never get that spread, just juice and coffee and a few cookies. Glad you're having a good time. Couldn't help laughing at Judith checking out the other ship, just like Judith.

rev

I am so glad you posted the name! I was trying to think of it. It is a tour and museum now. Thanks. I appreciate the poster that talked about renovations for sea worthiness, but I don't think it sails anymore. It has been docked next to the cruise ship terminal for many years. :)

A couple of years ago we toured the Midway and it was a neat experience. We were to start a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Celebrity Mercury but had a delayed boarding due to a breakout of Noro - they needed extra time to wipe down the ship before boarding.

Pat

The ship that is undergoing renovations is not the Midway. The Midway is permanently docked parallel to the pier that the Vision was at. The photo that has the Midway was Trainman's post #973. The carrier undergoing refit was at the Navy pier area across the harbor. That pic was in Trainman's post #988. It was the one with the "white" areas that were being questioned. It's a Nimitz class carrier. The poster who talked about the renovations is KingdomCapt and he's my DH.

Edited by BND

The ship appears to be going through a Ship Restricted Availability (SRA). These happen intermitantly during a ships lifecycle, since yard periods are only every 5 years or so. The white you see are areas where the weather decks or spaces behind them are being covered or protected for any of a number of reasons. Could be taking the paint down to bare metal, and repriming and painting. It could be openings they have cut in the ships hull to get large pieces of equipment in or out, as well as other things that just enable the ship's company and contractors to work on whatever projects are going on. On a Nimitz class carrier, an availability like this could be running up to 100 million dollars, and can last for as little as a couple of weeks, to as much as 3 months. I'm a retired Navy CAPTAIN (designated as a Surface Warfare Officer), but I won't say I know everything going on, since it varies from ship to ship, and availability to availability. It just depends on what the ship needs to keep it ready to be part of your US Navy. A Global Force for Good!

These are Arleigh Burke class destroyers! The Grayhounds of the Sea. They are swift, and powerful. One of these ships packs the firepower of a small World War II Task Force. They are very, very capable ships.

That was so interesting. Thank you for filling in the gaps, plus adding more,................Did you ever have to sail in a submarine:eek: how do they ever screen out people for clostrapobea on them?

I want to mention that back in 2006 we were on a TA where we had to stop in the middle of the Atlantic from

Barcelona to Miami. We had at least 5 sick people. The SSWasp met us and transferred the sick along with their relatives from our ship to theirs. It was quite a site to see.

In the end the whole crew of the SSWasp lined up on the carrier and all saluted as we left. Each ship blew their horns. Our cruise ship folks waved. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking of it all.

Thank you thank you, that you were there.

I am sure Trainman appreciates all the time and effort you put into his request of most info on that ship.

Edited by CruisesOnMyMind

The ship that is undergoing renovations is not the Midway. The Midway is permanently docked parallel to the pier that the Vision was at. The photo that has the Midway was Trainman's post #973. The carrier undergoing refit was at the Navy pier area across the harbor. That pic was in Trainman's post #988. It was the one with the "white" areas that were being questioned. It's a Nimitz class carrier. The poster who talked about the renovations is KingdomCapt and he's my DH.

Thanks for putting that all straight for everyone. We were stationed in San Diego from '66 to '70 and I knew the 14 was downtown and the other carrier was across the harbor. People sometimes get confused by the pictures. You explained it very well.

I am also glad he told us about the two ships passing in the harbor. I was wondering.

Thanks to your DH for his service and you for your support.

I'm so sorry then, the battleship gray color confused me. And I am not very good at ship recognition. Thank you for the correction. :)

Trainman, love reading your daily posts and hoping you are enjoying your cruise!

I thought I read somewhere on Cruise Critic that the Windjammer has sushi in the evenings for dinner? Also, in the MDR is there a separate aera for Diamond for breakfast; and for lunch in MDR do they have the make-your-own salad bar? I thought there was one before.

We are sailing on December 14 and so looking forward to it. We have sailed twice on Vision, a 9-night repo Alaska from Vancouver to Los Angeles, and a 7-night Mexican Riviera.

Thanks again for all your information!

Anita

Jim and Judith ... Thank you for doing another "Live" for all of us. I so enjoy your cruises .... next best thing to being there!

I'm finally all caught up ... but will be checking in as you travel back home to Florida! Safe travels & enjoy the trip .. I will!

Glad Judith is feeling better now.

Hi Trainman/ You made reference to your cabin which is right at the centrum. They have music until midnight. Our cabin on our upcoming cruise is deck 7, four cabins down from the library. Do you near the music from your cabin? (I go to bed early and hate noise). Also, if you happen to be in the shops can you check out the price of a litre of vodka for me? Thanks.

We had a fantastic dinner in the MDR last night which was the first formal night.

We were at the Hotel Director's Table with the Front Desk Manager and some of the other Back-to-Backers. It is always a special occasion to dine with both experienced cruisers and Officers from the ship. Lots of interesting conversations but no new rumors to spread.

IMG_1220.jpg

IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1218.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

Hi Trainman/ You made reference to your cabin which is right at the centrum. They have music until midnight. Our cabin on our upcoming cruise is deck 7, four cabins down from the library. Do you near the music from your cabin? (I go to bed early and hate noise). Also, if you happen to be in the shops can you check out the price of a litre of vodka for me? Thanks.

Out cabin is the closest to the elevator lobby on Deck 8, Starboard..

Sometimes, if we listen really hard, we can hear music from the Centrum or noises form the pool deck right above us. However, they are minor and hardly noticeable.

We hear louder noises from the creaking of the ship as it moves through the swells.

You should have no trouble sleeping at all.

I will try to get booze prices for you.

The sliding (rolling) door to our balcony is well oiled and moves easily. Then the Bow and Stern are rising and falling the door rolls open and closed by itself if it is not latched shut.

We have solved this problem by holding a hand towel in place when we close the door from the balcony side. This is just enough to hold the door in place and keeps it closed!

We had a fantastic dinner in the MDR last night which was the first formal night.

We were at the Hotel Director's Table with the Front Desk Manager and some of the other Back-to-Backers. It is always a special occasion to dine with both experienced cruisers and Officers from the ship. Lots of interesting conversations but no new rumors to spread.

IMG_1220.jpg

Jim,

Please say hello to Sue and Dick Hoffman (seated stage right of the Front Desk Manager)They are fine people and they always bring their Teddy Bears with them.

I leave today. I'm very excited.

The baby is doing well.

Have a good day.

Rev

Edited by RevSmith