omg! what if you have no d.l

so my silly friend is bringing an even more silly person with them on our cruise and today she asks me:

"so- and -so lost their liscence, so what else can they use for I.D.? Really? Really? heck i dont know!!!! seems to me if your dumb enough to have your liscence taken away you might not be smart enough to cruise?

But anyway.. .i have no idea what to tell the poor silly girl.

Passport. That's it.

Wouldn't a government issued photo id work with her birth certificate?

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/04/08/what-is-the-required-travel-documentation-for-all-ports.aspx

Photo Identification

A non-expired Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

Driver’s License

Driver’s Permit

School/Student I.D (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)

Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

For closed loop sailings this is all you would need for a US citizen. The birth certificate should say issued by dept. of Health and vital records or Statistics. Some are worded a little different. It can't be one issued by the Hospital.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/t/227793.aspx

we sail next week, the goof ball does not have time to get a passport now, even though we booked 8 months out... grrrr...

but yeah, she has a gov. issued drivers liscence, its just REVOKED, doesnt say EXPIRED on it, but its REVOKED, she isnt suppossed to drive. but i wonder do they even check THAT? or would they even CARE? as long as it is not expired?

so my silly friend is bringing an even more silly person with them on our cruise and today she asks me:

"so- and -so lost their liscence, so what else can they use for I.D.? Really? Really? heck i dont know!!!! seems to me if your dumb enough to have your liscence taken away you might not be smart enough to cruise?

But anyway.. .i have no idea what to tell the poor silly girl.

Lost as in it fell out of her wallet or lost as in the state took it away for driving infractions? If the former then she should get a replacement ASAP. If the latter than she might be able to get a non-driver's license ID card. If those ideas don't work then she might want to apply for a passport because she definitely needs a government issued photo ID to board the cruise, only trouble is I believe you need to submit a copy of a photo ID when you apply, but they may have procedures for those who don't have idea. www.state.gov should have the info.

we sail next week, the goof ball does not have time to get a passport now, even though we booked 8 months out... grrrr...

but yeah, she has a gov. issued drivers liscence, its just REVOKED, doesnt say EXPIRED on it, but its REVOKED, she isnt suppossed to drive. but i wonder do they even check THAT? or would they even CARE? as long as it is not expired?

It should still be good as a form of ID, as long as she still has it in her possession. It's not like she's driving the ship;).

LMAO.. umm.. no... she wont be driving the ship :rolleyes:. lets hope to god not! :eek: anyway... i supposse you are right, why would it really matter since she is using it as an i.d. and not as permission to drive? she should be okay i guess. ???? i called carnival and they didnt really have the answer, but i dont know how they would know if she is revoked or not anyway???:confused:

I would also make sure she has the right birth certificate and not a hospital issued one.

Great point, we saw a guy denied boarding because it did not have a raised seal.

A revoked D/L?? I'd pay 10 bucks to get a valid state issued ID, and a passport alone is king? I wouldn't chance it if it was my vacation.

but yeah, she has a gov. issued drivers license, its just REVOKED, doesn't say EXPIRED on it, but its REVOKED, she isn't supposed to drive. but i wonder do they even check THAT?or would they even CARE? as long as it is not expired?

Oh they care and they will have your whole cruise to check whatever it is they check .. on everyone.

Not for it being revoked but if she has anything legal that is outstanding she might end up with an extended vacation. Courtesy of CBP :eek:

Great point, we saw a guy denied boarding because it did not have a raised seal.

A revoked D/L?? I'd pay 10 bucks to get a valid state issued ID, and a passport alone is king? I wouldn't chance it if it was my vacation.

It had to be for some other reason. Not all states use raised seals any longer.

Watermarks, holographs or raised seals are all acceptable ...

Heck you can even use a photocopy.

I don't know what state she is from but most states require you to relinquish your DL when is is revoked. She may have not given it up but to present it to a Federal Officer (when she shouldn't have it anyway; and they would know) could get her in hot water all by itself. Have her go get an ID card from the DMV

I don't know what state she is from but most states require you to relinquish your DL when is is revoked. She may have not given it up but to present it to a Federal Officer (when she shouldn't have it anyway; and they would know) could get her in hot water all by itself. Have her go get an ID card from the DMV

I agree... Get a state ID to be safe...

In my state, you can have your driving priveleges revoked for insurance issues but still maintain possession of the actual license...

Don't know what State you are from, in Florida, it is illegal to have possession of a revoked or suspended license, you must turn it in and get an ID card instead. The feds will now this when they run her license from the manifest, so she may be in for a suprise when she returns.

If you have a passport, it is all the ID you need, period.

To be on the safe side, your friend should just go turn the license in at the DMV and get a state issued ID.

I don't think she'll have a problem sailing with license she currently has BUT if between now and then, she has any issues in her state that causes her license to be run by police it will be confiscated and then it might be too late for her to go to the DMV and get the ID.

If she's a big dummy like you describe, it's not too far fetched that she'll get in some kind of trouble or situation involving the police before the cruise.

Archived