Cruise Rome to Rome

TSUmom

I have read many people prefer cruising out of Barcelona over Rome for many reasons. We would still prefer Rome because we want to spend a day or two precruise sight seeing. Has anyone booked their hotel through the cruiseline (NCL) and were they happy with the location? We are very new to traveling to Europe and I am already feeling overwhelmed by just trying to decide which port to start from.

My DH is really wanting to see the Vatican and the Colliseum - suggestions on getting there? If we start in Rome the rest of the ports we could/would use the ships excursions so we mainly need to figure out how to do Rome.

Thanks for any advice or input!!:)

Get your Vatican tickets online before you leave, that way you won't have to stand in line with the hordes of people.

The Europe Ports of Call boards are a great way to find out where to stay and how to do sightseeing. In fact there is really no need to do NCL excursions, you might find things more to your liking on your own or with a private tour.

Also, join your roll call!! Often there are people who are setting up private tours and need to fill a van and the price is often much cheaper and more enjoyable than a bus trip.

just wondering why people prefer BCN? I think there are more flights dierect into Rome from the US. Rome is a wonderful place to stay pre/post. Plus, from Rome is it easy to get to lots of places in Italy, as well as up to Switzerland, Germany, etc. We liked BCN, as well. But for us, a port stop is enough, but we could go to Rome every year. We will be on Epic out of Rome next summer.

Get your Vatican tickets online before you leave, that way you won't have to stand in line with the hordes of people.

The Europe Ports of Call boards are a great way to find out where to stay and how to do sightseeing. In fact there is really no need to do NCL excursions, you might find things more to your liking on your own or with a private tour.

Also, join your roll call!! Often there are people who are setting up private tours and need to fill a van and the price is often much cheaper and more enjoyable than a bus trip.

I believe people prefer Barcelona for 2 primary reason: cost of flights and ease of getting to the port.

If you are going independently, get your Coliseum tickets online before you leave also unless you are booking a tour.

Fropm the port, we usually take the train into Rome and then use the Metro or buses to get to the various sites. There is a Metro stop right near the Coliseum, but a bus is a better choice for the Vatican. Just watch your belongings on the Metro.

If you would rather take a tour, there are a number of options in all price categories. As the previous poster said, check the Ports of Call board.

Note: We rarely take ship excursions. Private tours are almost always less expensive and are usually more personal. We usually try to join others from our roll call to reduce costs.

Thank you for the tips and input. I plan on joining a roll call as soon as we book - of course I usually book so far out I am alone on the roll calls for awhile;) I will check on getting tickets for the coliseum and Vatican online or I just may look for a tour. Ideally we would like to arrive two days before the cruise and enjoy Rome, then board the ship, enjoy the cruise and maybe add another day in Rome. The NCL hotel is the Crowne Plaza-St Peters Hotel and according to their website not too far from the Vatican or Coliseum. Not sure if walking would be possible but it does say they have shuttle service throughout the day.

Another small consideration is if you are on a 'closed loop EU' cruise you will pay Spanish VAT (8%) if you sail out of Barcelona on all food and drink. Sail out of Rome and the VAT is 0% on food and drink.

Another plus for Rome:D

I have read many people prefer cruising out of Barcelona over Rome for many reasons. We would still prefer Rome because we want to spend a day or two precruise sight seeing. Has anyone booked their hotel through the cruiseline (NCL) and were they happy with the location? We are very new to traveling to Europe and I am already feeling overwhelmed by just trying to decide which port to start from.

My DH is really wanting to see the Vatican and the Colliseum - suggestions on getting there? If we start in Rome the rest of the ports we could/would use the ships excursions so we mainly need to figure out how to do Rome.

Thanks for any advice or input!!:)

Just stayed in Rome at a Best Western Spring House, it was a 3 block walk to the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel, 10 minutes around the Vatican Wall to St Peters Sq entrance, and a 5 block walk to the subway where you can train it to the Colisseum, using a subway transfer. No changing trains for the S[panish Steps/Trevi Fountain. It was an hours drive from there to the port of Civettechia. We had a tiny room at the hotel, see my review on trip advisor.

Just stayed in Rome at a Best Western Spring House, it was a 3 block walk to the Vatican Museum/Sistine Chapel, 10 minutes around the Vatican Wall to St Peters Sq entrance, and a 5 block walk to the subway where you can train it to the Colisseum, using a subway transfer. No changing trains for the S[panish Steps/Trevi Fountain. It was an hours drive from there to the port of Civettechia. We had a tiny room at the hotel, see my review on trip advisor.

It's been quite a while but when we were in Rome we walked to the Vatican, the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain. (Don't miss the Trevi Fountain!)

To get to Civitavecchia we took the train from the main station. The people there were very helpful, making sure we got on the right train.

BTW, just a warning. Rome has a NEW LAW against eating 'snacks' around the various sights. You can eat in an outdoor cafe, but they will fine you if you sit on the Spanish Steps and eat a sandwich! I was reading an article about it just the other day. I'll see if I can find it and copy a link for you...

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/05/14235787-snacking-tourists-fined-after-rome-declares-war-on-the-sandwich?lite

Archived