Car Rental/Skagway A GOOD OPTION??

Snowshooz

Hi All...

We have been trying very hard lately to figure out WHAT to do when in Skagway. We'll be in port from 530am-8pm ( A good loong time!)

We've thought of doing the Hike/Float Trip, but that doesn't really fill a day..

I've read on the boards about people renting cars in Skagway to drive to Emerald Lake etc...

How LONG does this take? How do you reserve a car in advance of going to Skagway? >>Any Info/ Links etc??

Are there gas stations between Skagway and Emerald Lake etc to fill up if needed?

Would it be possible to do the Hike/Float trip and then rent a car??

Just looking at Options...

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Going on the ISLAND PRINCESS July 9..can't wait!

Snowshooz :p

If you rented car for pick up at 8:00 a.m. you could do a hike and float in the later p.m. .. if you wanted to be on "schedule" with drive to Emerald Lake.. which I personally would not OR you could do early hike 'n float which is BTW a great tour!

I have driven this many times with my last trip last week. There is only one gas station, in Skagway- located at State and 2nd, it's also the laundry mat. Gas last week was $2.81/gal. It is 150 miles round trip to Emerald Lake, so plenty of gas without having to fill up until you return. Avis opens at 8am, was a line waiting and only one car left unreserved. So reserve ahead, print out Murray's Klondike Highway log and enjoy. :)

Avis in Skagway only has 12 cars for rental. Many of the cars are Toyota Camrys. Definitely pre-reserve in advance!

Lori - who we rented our car from often reads Cruise Critic!

Archived