Cancellation question for one person (from a party of 2)

dv71617

I lived this scenario in August. When I added a roommate AT THE VERY LAST MINUTE, the charge was based on the fare that was in effect when I booked.

Perhaps I was given special consideration because of my C&A status, but I doubt it.

Naw, my friend had no C&A status--a newbie.

Tucker in Texas

I think that a lot of people who book single then add a second think they are being repriced when they aren't. It's because a single never actually pays double.

For example. A single gets the cruise for $1500 + 100 tax

When they add a second person they might pay $1700 + $200 tax

The difference in the tax is doubled because a single pays one tax

The difference between the $1500 and the $1700 is because the single was not charged twice for port charges, in this make believe case $200

Hope this wasn't confusing

A travel agent once told me that if you cancel a person after the 100% penalty kicks in, they are considered a "no show" and the other person does not have their fare increased to single status since the cruise line is getting 100% of their fare.

Don't know if that is true or not but worth asking your TA about.

Tucker in Texas

I lived this scenario in August. When I added a roommate AT THE VERY LAST MINUTE, the charge was based on the fare that was in effect when I booked.

Perhaps I was given special consideration because of my C&A status, but I doubt it.

Both are things i experienced....cancelled my mom off a booking, was not charged anything else, and got back her taxes/port charges right from Royal, and the rest from insurance..

when i added a person last year, i only paid taxes/tips/insurance....and that came out of the price drop OBC i scored a week before final!!

A travel agent once told me that if you cancel a person after the 100% penalty kicks in, they are considered a "no show" and the other person does not have their fare increased to single status since the cruise line is getting 100% of their fare.

Tucker in Texas

I recently spoke to RCI about this very thing. Tucker is correct about the 100%. I do not remember how the person put it but once a certain time has passed, as in 100% was paid by the other person in cabin perhaps, if the other person drops out or whatever the situation is, the person going does not get penalized with having to pay the single fare for the other person canceling. They just simply end up with the room on their own. Hope that helps!

Tucker in Texas

This is true. I had it happen. Co worker ended up with a work conflict, felt awful and didn't even call to cancel (although it was too late for a refund), I checked in alone, said nothing, she was basically a no show. No additional money was expected from me and we even had my time dining, so tips were paid in advance.

• 2 months later...
I recently spoke to RCI about this very thing. Tucker is correct about the 100%. I do not remember how the person put it but once a certain time has passed, as in 100% was paid by the other person in cabin perhaps, if the other person drops out or whatever the situation is, the person going does not get penalized with having to pay the single fare for the other person canceling. They just simply end up with the room on their own. Hope that helps!

Just got off the phone to RCL cancelling someone in a room, we had booked for a family member. It is paid in full and we were refunded the Port/Taxes fee for the 1 person that had canceled.

Otherwise, we paid for the 2 people that were booked in that cabin originally, it is 100% non refundable now.

But you only pay for 1 person's Port/Taxes. One person gratuities then as well.

I would think if the booking went to one person; a single supplement charge may apply. This could double your cruise fare in certain circumstances. You are better off finding a replacement travel companion if you can.

Thats only if a refund is applied. Say nothing, the no show loses and the cruiser enjoys the room to himself. Been there, done that.

Archived