MTD/Customer Service Frustrations

MS52

My short cruising history on RCL

January 2011 - January cruise on Enchantment - pretty much a perfect cruise IMHO

January 2012 - January cruise on Enchantment with 8 of our friends along (that I talked into going) - once again, a great cruise

January 2013 - January cruise on Enchantment booked with 11 of our friends. Most of us are aft Junior Suites :D(yes, I talked them all into it).

Tried to book a table for MTD yesterday (all have prepaid gratuities) for 13. I know the largest table is for 12. I told them to put us at a table for 12 with settings for 13 - we'd be a little snug but we'd be okay. We do this at our local italian restaurant all the time.

Since you can only book for 10 online, I had to go through rcldining. Marlene said she would book a table for 10 and for 3. When we got on board, we should see the maitre'd and he would try to accomodate us. I thought that was unacceptable. Can't I get it done now so when I'm on vacation, I'm on vacation!?

So she said she would send it in for a table of 12 set for 13. I checked my reservation today and it's for 10 people. 3 of the people (including my sister traveling alone) have been dropped from the linked reservations.

The other option is booking a table for 6 and a table for 7. That would be a good compromise BUT they cannot guarantee that they will be next to each other or even in the same area of the dining room. Once again, not acceptable.

When we cruise with friends, we don't hang out together all day. Our big thing is getting together for dinner every evening.

I'm looking so forward to the January vacation it's turning into a hassle. Thanks for listening to my rant. If anybody has any other ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Unfortunately looking for 13 on a 12 table may be a little difficult, but some agreeable solution should be able to be found. All I can suggest is to see the maitre de as soon as you board - and try to board early so that you see him first thing to avoid the lines and resulting delay in talking with him.

RCI has always succeeded in a fair solution with even minor questions we have had in the past. The issue with you may be a system thing in terms of how they can enter your request prior to boarding, but they will try to accommodate you on board. In fairness we have never done MTD so I don't know if there are paritculars regarding that which may impact your request. But I am sure once on board they will do whatever they can to assist.

Good news / bad news depending on your C & A status is the higher you are in the program (and if you are a suite guest) the more likely you will be to get your request satisfied in the manner you want, but they always try with each passenger to find a reasonable solution. That doesn't mean that you won't get the attention you deserve, but they do look at that. But they also take the issues on a first come basis, so make that your first priority upon boarding.

Hope it works out for you!

Most of the MTD tables are small, because most of the demand from MTD guests is for small tables. So, yours is not an easy request in MTD. I wonder if you'd be better off with traditional dining...that way there would be an assigned large table or two adjacent assigned tables ready for you each night. Would either early or late traditional dining be an option?

MS52,

We had a similar problem when doing a sailing with girlfriends. While ours wasn't because of the number of people, it was because two of the girls were from Canada. Talk about weird computer glitches!! We were all MTD, all had paid tips in advance. But somehow because the ones from Canada paid in Canadian currency, it made it impossible to book our tables together. I was quite upset and even emailed the ship. I also did not want to spend my "vacation time" setting things up.

Well, we got to the ship and went to the dining room. They were great and even knew our names and that we would be checking in. The table was no problem.

As I feel your pain (irritation) as that is how I was, it really was no big deal once on board. But the planner in me just couldn't understand why it couldn't be taken care of ahead of time. Again, I guess its the terrible IT department with RCI.

I would just link the reservations in a couple of tables and then go to the dining room upon boarding. You may also want to email the ship. I have no idea where I found an email address, I'm sure someone on these boards gave it to me. Hopefully someone will also help you out.

Good luck

We were a party of 13 with MTD on the Oasis last year. We could not get a table for 13 before we sailed because of our size and also because we are Canadian and some in our party booked in Canadian $ and some in US$ and they could not combine our reservations.

We went directly to the dining room upon boarding and they were fantastic. We had a large table for 13! We did have to agree to eat at the same time each night and our table was in the far corner of the dining room but we were okay with that - we just wanted to be all together.

So I know it is very frustrating to not have everything set up before you go but I believe they really do try their best to accomodate large groups - they just have to do it on board.

Unfortunately looking for 13 on a 12 table may be a little difficult, but some agreeable solution should be able to be found. All I can suggest is to see the maitre de as soon as you board - and try to board early so that you see him first thing to avoid the lines and resulting delay in talking with him.

RCI has always succeeded in a fair solution with even minor questions we have had in the past. The issue with you may be a system thing in terms of how they can enter your request prior to boarding, but they will try to accommodate you on board. In fairness we have never done MTD so I don't know if there are paritculars regarding that which may impact your request. But I am sure once on board they will do whatever they can to assist.

Good news / bad news depending on your C & A status is the higher you are in the program (and if you are a suite guest) the more likely you will be to get your request satisfied in the manner you want, but they always try with each passenger to find a reasonable solution. That doesn't mean that you won't get the attention you deserve, but they do look at that. But they also take the issues on a first come basis, so make that your first priority upon boarding.

Hope it works out for you!

Your C&A status or your cabin accomodations plays no role in how things are handled on the ship.

Most of the MTD tables are small, because most of the demand from MTD guests is for small tables. So, yours is not an easy request in MTD. I wonder if you'd be better off with traditional dining...that way there would be an assigned large table or two adjacent assigned tables ready for you each night. Would either early or late traditional dining be an option?

Good constructive suggestion. Ever had a great time at a restaurant and the first time you took a friend, it wasn't good? I thought that was where they were headed. Most land restaurants don't have to deal with 3000 people in 2 seatings. I would be fine at two tables and switching up who sits with who, or possibly tell friend A that friend B is sleeping with his wife, that might make it easier to deal with dinner.

Tried to book a table for MTD yesterday (all have prepaid gratuities) for 13. I know the largest table is for 12. I told them to put us at a table for 12 with settings for 13 - we'd be a little snug but we'd be okay. We do this at our local italian restaurant all the time.

Did 2 cruises with groups, and both times had a table for 10.

Just too many people at a table IMHO. There is no way for one end of the table to talk to the other end, and those in the middle (ME) were tortured.

Table of 8 is the largest that I would ever consider.

My short cruising history on RCL

January 2011 - January cruise on Enchantment - pretty much a perfect cruise IMHO

January 2012 - January cruise on Enchantment with 8 of our friends along (that I talked into going) - once again, a great cruise

January 2013 - January cruise on Enchantment booked with 11 of our friends. Most of us are aft Junior Suites :D(yes, I talked them all into it).

Since you can only book for 10 online, I had to go through rcldining. Marlene said she would book a table for 10 and for 3. When we got on board, we should see the maitre'd and he would try to accomodate us. I thought that was unacceptable. Can't I get it done now so when I'm on vacation, I'm on vacation!?

So she said she would send it in for a table of 12 set for 13. I checked my reservation today and it's for 10 people. 3 of the people (including my sister traveling alone) have been dropped from the linked reservations.

The other option is booking a table for 6 and a table for 7. That would be a good compromise BUT they cannot guarantee that they will be next to each other or even in the same area of the dining room. Once again, not acceptable.

When we cruise with friends, we don't hang out together all day. Our big thing is getting together for dinner every evening.

I'm looking so forward to the January vacation it's turning into a hassle. Thanks for listening to my rant. If anybody has any other ideas, I'd appreciate it.

This issue is basically industry wide. My first stop as soon as I board my next cruise is to the maitre 'd, as it is basically every time I sail. The people on land can't control what goes on on the ship and they have limited vision and authority.

It may take fifteen minutes out of your vacation but the person you need to see is the maitre 'd as soon as you board. Right now I would book ten and three in traditional dinning. Having the table for ten assures that you will have a big table as part of the reservation.

You also have to remember that serving a table for thirteen is very difficult on a waiter. Most dinning roms will not go over 8 or ten, and although you do it at your local italian food place, I guarantee their kitchen is not the complex maze that is the kitchen on the Oasis...... Those three extra people at the table make the table exponentially more difficult to serve.

Most people who have never waited tables in a fine dining establishment will not understand the difference, but trust me there is a huge difference to the waiter and the maitre 'd. That one slightly bigger table can throw off his rythym and can effect the whole section. So what seems so simple to you, just squeezing another chair in....is actually fairly complex.

I just received this reply to my inquiry about changing from one table to 2 tables of 6 and 7:

The vessel wrote back this morning and advised they will accommodate you. Do not worry, if they do not have a 13 top they will put you in 2 tables next to each other. You will not be seated apart.

So thanks to rcldining for their assistance AND their patience with me.

Archived