Has Carnival Shelved 2.0 upgrades?

I haven't really read much about 2.0 for a while--though granted there were a few months I wasn't reading the boards as much either.

Originally, I think there were four ships in 2013 that were supposed to be upgraded to 2.0 in 2013, including the Legend and I believe the Victory. I've already heard that the Legend won't be getting 2.0 in 2013 (too bad, since I'l be on her last Mediterranean cruise next year, and I was hoping she'd be upgraded by then). I just saw on http://www.vacationcruisesinfo.com/Features/Cruise-Ship-Renovations-The-Complete-Schedule.htm that besides the Destiny re-fit into the Sunshine, that the only ships in dry dock at all are four Fantasy-class ships.

Ships scheduled for dry dock in 2014 include the Legend, Freedom, Pride, Victory, and three more Fantasy-class ships.

Yeah, the fact that most of the Fantasy class ships aren't getting 2.0 is what is leading me to wonder if it's shelved right now, as Paradise and Elation aren't apparently scheduled for drydock next year, either. After Conquest and Glory (and Destiny's re-fit), there are apparently no more 2.0 re-fits until 2014.

The emphasis for next year seems to be putting the Fantasy ships in dry dock to try to get a few more years out of them as opposed to upgrading the newer ships to 2.0.

Yeah, the fact that most of the Fantasy class ships aren't getting 2.0 is what is leading me to wonder if it's shelved right now, as Paradise and Elation aren't apparently scheduled for drydock next year, either. After Conquest and Glory (and Destiny's re-fit), there are apparently no more 2.0 re-fits until 2014.

The emphasis for next year seems to be putting the Fantasy ships in dry dock to try to get a few more years out of them as opposed to upgrading the newer ships to 2.0.

I dont get your thinking. As Sargent said .. only two Fantasy ships were slated for 2.0, the Elation and Paradise, the two that did not get waterworks.

they are still the two. .. No one said every ship would be getting 2.0. Just like all fantasy ships didnt get balconys ... only 4 got them of the fantasy class. What makes you think every ship should get 2.0?

Other than you said one ship might not get it in 2.0 Legend in 2013 .. what else? Doesnt mean it is shelved .. the schedule still looks the same to me. Why not wait until 2013 and let them get further along before jumping to conclusions.

I dont get your thinking. As Sargent said .. only two Fantasy ships were slated for 2.0, the Elation and Paradise, the two that did not get waterworks.

they are still the two. .. No one said every ship would be getting 2.0. Just like all fantasy ships didnt get balconys ... only 4 got them of the fantasy class. What makes you think every ship should get 2.0?

Other than you said one ship might not get it in 2.0 Legend in 2013 .. what else? Doesnt mean it is shelved .. the schedule still looks the same to me. Why not wait until 2013 and let them get further along before jumping to conclusions.

I don't get that you don't get my thinking. What is not to get that there is only one ship that is scheduled to get 2.0 in 2013 when originally there were going to be four? Originally there were three ships that were scheduled to get 2.0 in 2013, and now there is only one scheduled. So, if you don't know the answer to a question being posed, and you feel like responding, you could instead say something like "I don't know" instead of trying to attack a post. I find you incredibly unhelpful in this and quite a few other posts as well.

I realize that not every ship is going to get 2.0. That has never been my assertion. I don't even know where you even could possibly think that. This post isn't even about Fantasy class...except to say that INSTEAD of doing the previously promised 2.0 upgrades, they appear to be focusing on the Fantasy class instead.

Let me ask you this. What ships are getting 2.0 in 2013 BESIDES the Destiny as it becomes the Sunshine? Because Legend, Victory, and Pride, which had been previously reported as being upgraded to 2.0 in 2013 apparently will not be.

I'm just saying that the Carnival ships going into dry dock in 2013 (per the cruise ship dry dock schedule posted on the site I linked) are: Destiny/Sunshine, Inspiration, Imagination, Fascination, and Fantasy. Of those, only the Destiny is scheduled to get 2.0 upgrades.

In 2014, drydock schedule is: Freedom, Legend, Pride, Victory, and Elation, which are due for 2.0, and Sensation and Ecstacy which are not. So, my point is that at best, the 2.0 upgrades for 2013 onwards have either been delayed for some reason, and I guess I was trying to find out if anyone knew why.

I don't get that you don't get my thinking. What is not to get that there is only one ship that is scheduled to get 2.0 in 2013 when originally there were going to be four? Originally there were three ships that were scheduled to get 2.0 in 2013, and now there is only one scheduled.

I realize that not every ship is going to get 2.0. That has never been my assertion. I don't even know where you even could possibly think that. This post isn't even about Fantasy class...except to say that INSTEAD of doing the previously promised 2.0 upgrades, they appear to be focusing on the Fantasy class instead.

Let me ask you this. What ships are getting 2.0 in 2013 BESIDES the Destiny as it becomes the Sunshine? Because Legend, Victory, and Pride, which had been previously reported as being upgraded to 2.0 in 2013 apparently will not be.

I dont even know where you are getting this information. I was away 2 weeks so maybe I missed this too??

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2011/10/05/what-is-the-fun-ship-2-0-implementation-schedule.aspx

so where did you get the above schedule is now incorrect?? Im lost in your thinking.

btw the loyalty rep on Magic said all ships will get 2.0 .. not that I believe him. He said a lot of things sounded to me like sales pitch.

so lets start at the beginning .. why you said that the ships on the schedule will not get 2.0 in 2013?

PS the above schedule at the bottom shows recently updated? says "Posted Wed, Oct 5 2011 11:44 AM by Mischelle " ... and last time I looked Magic was not on it .. now it shows in 2015..

Unless I'm missing something carnival.com is still showing four ships will get upgrades in 2013. Don't believe it's changed since its been announced except perhaps the Legend.

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2011/10/05/what-is-the-fun-ship-2-0-implementation-schedule.aspx

yes, but that info is over a year old. The info on the post I included is only a couple of weeks old.

yes, but that info is over a year old. The info on the post I included is only a couple of weeks old.

Im still asking where you read about Legend being off the schudule... since Ive been gone and obviously missed it. could you give a link to that info ..

Im still asking where you read about Legend being off the schudule... since Ive been gone and obviously missed it. could you give a link to that info ..

JH announced awhile back (can't remember exactly when) that Legend would not be getting the 2.0 upgrade in 2013. Not that he is the be all, end all of Carnival, and things could have changed again since he made that announcement, but considering the dry dock schedule posted at the link I provided seems to confirm that.

And the schedule I found could be wrong, and if someone can point me to a different fairly recent dry dock schedule that conflicts what I found, I'd be interested in seeing that, too.

There are still four ships going into dry dock on the list from your link providing it is accurate for 2013. Perhaps they re-evaluated when ships where do next for dry dock and modified the list. Some with prior list may have been slated for dry dock earlier than necessary, causing others to go in sooner than necessary.

As you stated the four ships are Fantasy class, it would make since to upgrade those ships to 2.0 since they are the older ships if that is in fact their plan.

I too as I see firefly is, confused where you are reading into this as shelving the project? As with any plan they are fluid and must be modified at times, perhaps this is one of the modifications.

As you stated the four ships are Fantasy class, it would make since to upgrade those ships to 2.0 since they are the older ships if that is in fact their plan..

So have the plans changed. All I know of are the two ships Paradise and Elation getting 2.0 .. the 2 that did not get waterworks.

I dont read John .. so if he said Legend is now off the list of 2013 .. ok, thats one change. .. so one change?

There are still four ships going into dry dock on the list from your link providing it is accurate for 2013. Perhaps they re-evaluated when ships where do next for dry dock and modified the list. Some with prior list may have been slated for dry dock earlier than necessary, causing others to go in sooner than necessary.

As you stated the four ships are Fantasy class, it would make since to upgrade those ships to 2.0 since they are the older ships if that is in fact their plan.

I too as I see firefly is, confused where you are reading into this as shelving the project? As with any plan they are fluid and must be modified at times, perhaps this is one of the modifications.

Perhaps the plan is fluid, and perhaps they will give the Fantasy class ships the 2.0 upgrades; however, I'm operating under the assumption that they won't, which fuels my speculation on it being shelved (for now) or delayed or what, and wondered if anyone had any more information on this.

Perhaps the plan is fluid, and perhaps they will give the Fantasy class ships the 2.0 upgrades; however, I'm operating under the assumption that they won't, which fuels my speculation on it being shelved (for now) or delayed or what, and wondered if anyone had any more information on this.

What makes you think Fantasy class ships won't get these upgrades? Where is your source for that information to feel so strong that it means Carnival is shelving it? Perhaps if you get a free moment to go over to funville and ask Mary or Michelle if the list is still accurate??

So have the plans changed. All I know of are the two ships Paradise and Elation getting 2.0 .. the 2 that did not get waterworks.

I dont read John .. so if he said Legend is now off the list of 2013 .. ok, thats one change. .. so one change?

It's not one change...since the drydock schedule I found and linked to, which was posted September 26, 2012, has a completely different Carnival dry dock schedule than Carnival's year old schedule. The ships Carnival listed as 2013 apparently won't enter dry dock until 2014.

And again, the link I found may not be right, but it is more recent than Carnival's schedule. Are there any other recent dry dock schedules, official or non-official, that conflict with the link I found?

seems someone should brief firefly on the topics she is reponding on but has not been brought up to speed on.

Ive asked twice for links.. a TA site that is not allowed to be posted that I dont have any way to verify does not prove a thing to me.

Other than Legend.. what other changes ?? I would like to know and keep asking for something that at least is official .. not a site that if someone clicks to report it will be removed as not allowed.

so H8 .. please update me... what other changes besides legend to the 2.0 upgrades..

well if they left the last 2 fantasy ships the way they are it wouldnt bother me at all i perfer the open back deck with a pool I love to just sit back there and watch the ocean go by and sun myself and jump in the pool to cool off and the best part of it is there are very few kids back there .. If serenity decks had pools i would stay there all day

What makes you think Fantasy class ships won't get these upgrades? Where is your source for that information to feel so strong that it means Carnival is shelving it? Perhaps if you get a free moment to go over to funville and ask Mary or Michelle if the list is still accurate??

You're right, I am assuming that the original schedule showed the only ships that were getting the upgrade, when in fact, maybe they all will. If the time table has changed, maybe the ships have changed as well. Maybe most of the Fantasy class weren't going to get 2.0, but as Carnival discusses the future of cruising, maybe they've changed that. I'm sure that Carnival has been debating building vs. not building, and then investing and building more smaller capacity ships vs mega ships, and there are multiple factors to consider in all of those decisions.

Part (most) of the reason for asking was to see if I had missed anything in regards to 2.0, if the schedule had changed because the ships had changed, or what was going on with this. I was hoping that maybe someone knew something that I didn't know, but it's not looking like it.

Legend goes to drydock 1-19-14 for two weeks. I also do not read JH and have heard nothing that it won't be getting 2.0, just that it was moved back in the dry dock schedule. The Victory will be going in for her 2 week job on 2-17-14. Both of these dates were simple to determine by looking at the booking dates available for these ships. (2 consecutive weeks - no cruises = dry dock).

The Carnival list, albeit a year old, still lists the only ships that were slated for 2.0. The schedule may have been juggled - but those are the only ships that are getting it. I see nothing that the 2.0 is being shelved - just moving dates of dry dock around - which they do all the time anyway. I agree with Firefly - until an official announcement is made, it is not worth fretting over - not that it is worth fretting over in the first place.

Ive asked twice for links.. a TA site that is not allowed to be posted that I dont have any way to verify does not prove a thing to me.

Did you check out the site? It's not a TA site that I can tell. It does post cruise reviews so it would be a competitor to cruisecritic, and it also contains cruising news. It also may have links to TA sites, but nothing directly TA related that I can see.

I do not believe that http://www.vacationcruisesinfo.com/Features/Cruise-Ship-Renovations-The-Complete-Schedule.htm is a TA, but rather a site that gives out cruise info. As stated in the article and as some have mentioned here, schedules change and it is possible that the schedule posted by Carnival has indeed changed and not been updated.

I do not believe that the upgrades are shelved, I believe that due to issues beyond the control of either Carnival or those that are contracted to do the renovations has run into some delays is all.

Legend goes to drydock 1-19-14 for two weeks. I also do not read JH and have heard nothing that it won't be getting 2.0, just that it was moved back in the dry dock schedule. The Victory will be going in for her 2 week job on 2-17-14. Both of these dates were simple to determine by looking at the booking dates available for these ships. (2 consecutive weeks - no cruises = dry dock).

The Carnival list, albeit a year old, still lists the only ships that were slated for 2.0. The schedule may have been juggled - but those are the only ships that are getting it. I see nothing that the 2.0 is being shelved - just moving dates of dry dock around - which they do all the time anyway. I agree with Firefly - until an official announcement is made, it is not worth fretting over - not that it is worth fretting over in the first place.

I do not think the op was "fretting" but rather stating their opinion of what they read ...

As for Firefly, and others that have in a sense bashed the op, just because you have not read it yourself, does not mean it is not going to happen.

Archived