Mariner of the Seas Embarkation day questions

We are set to sail on the Mariner of the Seas in February of 2013. It is myself, DH and our 5 children, ages 13 down to 4. I have a few questions about embarkation.

What time is the earliest we can/should arrive at the port? We are the type that want to get on right away and start exploring and enjoying our cruise. We cruised with Disney before, and they give you a specific time to arrive at the port. Does RCCL do that? If so, is there a way to get assigned an earlier time?

Also, what are the options for lunch once on board. I know we can go to Windjammer buffet or fast food (is that on the pool deck?). Is there a "sit down" restaurant option, or indoor buffet that is a less crowded?

Any other first day tips are appreciated. I know we need to be aware of fog delays. We are driving down the day before so don't need to worry about flight delays.

Thanks in advance.

What port are you sailing from? RCI will give you a recommended arrival time, but I always get there earlier. I think the earliest I've ever boarded was around 10:30AM.

As to lunch, to avoid the Windjammer crowds you should be able to find food available on the promenade...pizza and sandwiches and such. No formal sit down lunch.

We are set to sail on the Mariner of the Seas in February of 2013. It is myself, DH and our 5 children, ages 13 down to 4. I have a few questions about embarkation.

What time is the earliest we can/should arrive at the port? We are the type that want to get on right away and start exploring and enjoying our cruise. We cruised with Disney before, and they give you a specific time to arrive at the port. Does RCCL do that? If so, is there a way to get assigned an earlier time?

Also, what are the options for lunch once on board. I know we can go to Windjammer buffet or fast food (is that on the pool deck?). Is there a "sit down" restaurant option, or indoor buffet that is a less crowded?

Any other first day tips are appreciated. I know we need to be aware of fog delays. We are driving down the day before so don't need to worry about flight delays.

Thanks in advance.

If you're embarking out of Galveston, you can get to the terminal about 11am, and you will board about 11:30am. Royal does not give specific times to board.

If you do board about 11:30am, then Windjammer will not be crowded at all. Other than Windjammer, the only choice on boarding day is Cafe Promenade, which has pizza, small sandwiches, fruit, cookies, and desserts. There is usually nothing to eat on the pool deck when boarding. They may or may not set up a small buffet, but this is up to the individual ship.

11-11:30 is about the right time....earlier, and you'll have to wait until they clear the ship.

We eat a late breakfast (10:30 or so) before heading to the ship...that way, we don't have to deal with lunch at all...or the crowds! (I've never really understood why eating is the 1st thing folks want to do on a cruise!!!)...we can head to the pool, and relax and get started on the vacation mode.....grab a snack later, if we want!

Archived