Where is a good place to buy Larimar?

maggiecharlie

I got mine from a local shop in St. Maartin a few years back. My guess would be Grand Cayman only because the cruise industry doesn't have as much as a "hold" on the shops there. Falmouth, from what I have read lately, is basically owned by the "chains" (owned by cruise lines, as some claim?) and will have higher prices due to "rent", etc.

Ok, I'll bite. What's Larimar?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Blue caribbean gemstone found only in Dominican Republic IIRC. Many confuse it with turqoise, but popular at cruise jewelry outlets. Tons of it in Cozumel, but watch out for the fakes...

I have two "Marahlago" larimar pieces that I love. Her pieces are pricier than the typical larimar jewelry that I've seen for sale by local vendors on the islands, but of much nicer quality. I actually bought my last piece from the ship's (Caribbean Princess) jewelry store and I bought the other piece in Grenada at a jewelry store there.

If you look up her website, you can find a list of where her jewelry can be found in the Caribbean or the US.

I purchased Larimar in Grand Cayman at a very nice Jewelry Store that also carried Crystal and other similar items.

I though the prices were good compared to other places I had seen it. They had a nice selection of pieces.

I was in Hawaii in the Spring and priced a Larimar bracelet at Hilo Hatties and could not believe it was $1200.00. It did have large stones in it but I was still awed by the price.

Sharon

In Cozumel there are two main shopping piers, one RCCL and the other Carnival. The RCCL pier is restricted to that pier passangers, but the Carnival pier is open to all. The prices at Carnival tend to be cheaper. To reach that pier from the RCCL, leave the arrival building and when you reach the street, turn right about a 10 minute walk, then turn right onto the pier shops. All the jewelery stores there negotiate and at least a 50% reduction is not unusual. We have bought silver encased Larimar there and found the last jewelry shop on the right before reaching the main square quite reasonable.

Blue caribbean gemstone found only in Dominican Republic IIRC. Many confuse it with turqoise, but popular at cruise jewelry outlets. Tons of it in Cozumel, but watch out for the fakes...

I've started seeing some in St. Thomas which is relatively new there.

Probably because they are looking for less costly pieces to fill their cases and they can no longer sell much in the way of precious gems and 14/18k gold.

Larimer is far more moderate and often set in silver.

MDSue: We also purchased my Larimar/coral/mother of pearl inlay mosaic ring (for our 40th wedding vow renewal) made by Maralago at a shop on Grand Cayman just around the corner from the entrance to Margaritaville. Great store, great price, great service, and the brand is to die for!

OP: I have a lot of Larimar that I have purchased thru out the Caribbean. Just go to a reputable store, not a street vendor! To be ultra safe, you might pay a few dollars more but if you use the ship recommended stores, you have recourse if something goes wrong!

I have seen Larimar on the ships and in shops on most all islands.

As above, the setting qualities vary - I have Marahlago on my Christmas List;)

Go to the ships shopping show or visit the Ships Shopping "Guide" on your ship and get discount cards for all of the shops in each port that you are visiting, you may not use them but they give you some amazing "Bargaining Power" in all of the shops.

I love Larimar! One of my favorite stones.

Bought my first piece at a jewelry store in St. Croix in 2010

Have bought some on every cruise since. 2011 was on Barbados. 2012 - I honestly can't remember where I bought it.....we went to Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Roatan, and Costa Maya.

2011 and 0212 purchases were Marlagho - nice pieces. I didn't realilze that there was a big difference. I can tell you that her pieces are definitely more expensive than the piece I bought in St. Croix

The first Larimar, that I got for mapwife was in the Dominican Republic. That is where we first saw it, and where it comes from.

However, subsequent pieces we got at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show.

Fortunately, the first week of February, gem dealers from all over the world come to Tucson and set up shop all over town.

Operating a business in Tucson, we can buy at wholesale! So looking for jewelry in the Caribbean in January, we know that we can get it in two weeks for a much better price.

(Five years ago I was able to pick up dangle earrings for mapwife that were about 3/8" by 1.5" inches for $10 for the pair.)

I love living in Tucson!

But if I were buying in the Caribbean, I would buy in the Dominican Republic. But I would also go away from the port area, and look for small stores in the non-tourist area.

Probably look on the east side of the Zocalo in Cozumel for a store that has a variety of items and not just jewelry.

Archived