Luggage lost (stolen?) on the Dawn

lollyb99

We had travel insurance but since the bags are not tracked by NCL (or any ship for that matter) the insurance does not cover luggage lost on a ship. If it had been lost by the airline it would have been totally covered. If I had purchased the NCL travel insurance it would have covered the bag. The fact that NCL sells insurance in case they lose your bags, rather than taking responsibility for the luggage they handle should have been my first clue.

That's odd because most travel insurance that covers lost luggage, covers it's loss - no matter how it is lost. I would find a new insurance company. You do need to provide some proof that luggage was lost and the coverage limits are not great - for example the one we have only covers a loss of $500 per bag.

This makes me feel very uncomfortable. I think the suite tags or the location of the bag could be the reason for the theft. The ship has video of the hall and could see what happened to the bags. You can call the Miami police and then file a claim. Have you written to the CEO? Report this to your local newspaper, post on Facebook etc. NCL will not want the bad press. Good luck and do not give up!

That's odd because most travel insurance that covers lost luggage, covers it's loss - no matter how it is lost. I would find a new insurance company. You do need to provide some proof that luggage was lost and the coverage limits are not great - for example the one we have only covers a loss of $500 per bag.

Interesting. I am thinking trip insurance though the lines is better than others based on this information and my own experience. I am boycotting one company which refused to pay when I tore my meniscus exiting the Rotterdam last January. Previously I'd had no problem with HAL's insurance; this was with a company the TA pushed.

we never never put our luggage out the night before. We always carry it off. One time we did put it out the night before. Very early the next morning, the cabin stewardess is banging on our door. She started yelling at us that we were supposed to put the luggage out the night before. Of course I am not understanding what is going on at first but our "next door neighbor" needed more room for their luggage so they took our luggage and put it in their room for the night. I was so so angry. So the stewardess said she will bring it down for us (it was only one piece of luggage) but making sure we understood it was a big inconvenience to her. So then we finally get downstairs to where all the luggage is and this piece is not appearing anywhere. So I tell my son to stay where he was and I was going to look around the place and there is our luggage in a corner all by itself. Never never again will i do this. It may be an inconvenience to lug all the luggage yourself but at least you have piece of mind that you still have your luggage.

Sorry that your luggage was taken.

This makes me feel very uncomfortable. I think the suite tags or the location of the bag could be the reason for the theft. The ship has video of the hall and could see what happened to the bags. You can call the Miami police and then file a claim. Have you written to the CEO? Report this to your local newspaper, post on Facebook etc. NCL will not want the bad press. Good luck and do not give up!

Thanks for that, you are likely correct. Not that whoever took the bag wanted what they ended up with - it just looked like it might be good. I should have filed a theft report when it happened but I think it would be too late now.

I will write to the CEO and let you know what happens.

At the end of the day I have learned my lesson and will carry my own bags.

You might want to reread the thread. Most people have suggested (and I completely concur) that the most likely location for the loss is in the customs hall. Obviously, the hall videos of the ship are not going to show anything in that case.

NCL deals with hundreds of thousands of passengers every year, so many of whom have access to public blogs. I would not hold my breath waiting for NCL to respond to a negative comment. As for your local newspaper, if this is newsworthy, newspapers are in even more trouble than I have imagined. My opinion, anyway.

Key word here is the word "to replace" not the current value of the suitcase and contents.

When I travel, I try to buy the ugliest luggage I can find. There are way too many blue / black suitcases as I too have more than once grabbed the wrong suitcase from a carousel. I do, though, always look at the name tag.

That and I try ribbons, decorative name tags, whatever it takes to make them "different". Why do you think the suitcases that come in large polka-dots are popular?

I'm not schlumping luggage off the ship, hopefully, I will have no issues as I haven't in the past.

I do this too..... In fact, I have bright pink stips of duct tape on each side of my luggage. Nobody will be picking my stuff up by mistake! When I fly, I can watch for each piece of my luggage being loaded onto the plane. It is a nice feeling to watch all of your bags being tossed onboard...... I know what you guys are thinkin'....... CLASSY! And fellas, no need to start trippin' over yourselves to date me..... I am married :p

Which travel insurance company is refusing to pay for the lost luggage?

Please tell us because cruise critic members regularly buy travel insurance. If there is a company that refuses to pay for lost luggage because of the luggage handling system used by all cruise ships, cruise critic members really need to know. Actually, it would seem such a company might also turn down claims by people on other vavations too (sucha as land/coach tours) or losses on shuttles as they would not have claim checks for bags either. That is not acceptable.

It is the travel insurance company that deserves to have it's poor practices exposed. It is the travel insurance company that deserves to lose business.

I really do not feel it is a fox guarding the hen house...for all the luggage handled on ship's each year, few pieces go missing, not enough to think it is an insurance scam. As illustrated by stories here, when it does it is most often a passenger mistakenly loading the wrong bag. Of course a decent person who made that mistake would contact the cruiseline or the owner...sadly that did not happen for you.

Really, blaming a crew member is beyond the pale...what would a crew member want with a child's t shirts, shorts and snow suit, let alone her orthodics. the stuff wouldn't fit, they wouldn't have a place to store it, they know they are on camera, they often come from warm climes, they would be risking their jobs. Stop believing NCL crew took the bag; assuming that is beneath your dignity.

This is the first time I have heard of a lost luggage claim being denied by the travel insurance. I am very disappointed in your insurance company. Please post the name of your insurance company so we can all avoid using them.

Which travel insurance company is refusing to pay for the lost luggage?

Please tell us because cruise critic members regularly buy travel insurance. If there is a company that refuses to pay for lost luggage because of the luggage handling system used by all cruise ships, cruise critic members really need to know. Actually, it would seem such a company might also turn down claims by people on other vavations too (sucha as land/coach tours) or losses on shuttles as they would not have claim checks for bags either. That is not acceptable.

It is the travel insurance company that deserves to have it's poor practices exposed. It is the travel insurance company that deserves to lose business.

Starry Eyes is it not against CC to post that?

I agree it is really far fetched to believe that any crew member would steal the luggage for too many to count reasons. It is probably a case of a passenger picking it up mistakenly.

OP was your name and pertinent information inside the suitcase or could it be sitting in lost and found waiting for someone to claim. If your information was not in your luggage, I would contact lost and found dept at NCL.

Starry Eyes is it not against CC to post that?

I agree it is really far fetched to believe that any crew member would steal the luggage for too many to count reasons. It is probably a case of a passenger picking it up mistakenly.

OP was your name and pertinent information inside the suitcase or could it be sitting in lost and found waiting for someone to claim. If your information was not in your luggage, I would contact lost and found dept at NCL.

I do not think it is a rule violation to discuss insurance companies. We are not allowed to discuss travel agencies on cruise critic, but people regularly discuss travel insurance and experiences with same. there is even a CC forum for travel insurance. I did as search on the travel insurance forum and did not find anything about any travel insurance company refusing to pay if luggage was lost on ship or pier.

The name of a insurance provider who will not pay in this circumstance is, IMHO, THE most valuable thing the OP can provide to fellow CC members. If the OP provides this info, the OP may save others here from suffering a similar unreimbursed loss. People have suggested the OP slam NCL on Facebook and write the CEO, but really shouldn't the OP instead name the suboptimal insurance company? Shouldn't he post on the insurance comapny's Facebook page and write their CEO?

It is very unlikely that the insurance policy under discussion is any sort of ordinary travel insurance that cruisers use, so having the name is probably of no importance.

Most likely, the policy refusing to pay for untracked luggage is common carrier insurance, which frequent fliers can buy on an annual basis. Cruise ships are, in fact, common carriers, so the insurance would be applicable, but is set up really for air, bus and train passengers, and not cruisers. Note it would not cover untracked luggage put on the bus or train and reportedly stolen. Or carry-on luggage on an aircraft.

I feel for you, unfortunatley it could have been one of many things. Lost, Stolen and so on. Lets just say I plan to utilize self disembarkention from now on. I will make sure I do not overpack and not bring anything too expensive on my vacations. This is due to the fact that a couple of very nice pieces of clothing on the last 2 cruises were not there when I got home. Of course I cannot prove it but when you are missing specific items you know they were not left behind! I made sure after the 1st incident...

Just saying. It is a shame. :(

I don't know why some people assume it is ncl crew who are responsible. They have so much to lose if they were to steal. I agree it was probably a mistake, maybe the people who took it felt bad and had no way to call you. But to jump against NCL write on their facebook, write the paper call the police or the CEO sounds like you want something from them more than the worth of your luggae. I have cruised for 30 years on all lines and thank God never had a problem. Cruise lines depend on having their system work, yes some times things happen but for the most part luggage is picked up by the owners. Can you imagine if this was a big scam? Accept that this is a learning processmaccept it breathe deep and move on. I understand your frustration but what is done is done. Don't give up on cruising

It is very unlikely that the insurance policy under discussion is any sort of ordinary travel insurance that cruisers use, so having the name is probably of no importance.

Most likely, the policy refusing to pay for untracked luggage is common carrier insurance, which frequent fliers can buy on an annual basis. Cruise ships are, in fact, common carriers, so the insurance would be applicable, but is set up really for air, bus and train passengers, and not cruisers. Note it would not cover untracked luggage put on the bus or train and reportedly stolen. Or carry-on luggage on an aircraft.

Interesting thought.

OP, did you buy comprehensive travel insurance for this cruise? Or were you relying on the type of policy billie5 mentioned?

Sorry I still don't think it would cost $800 to replace the contents of a 5-year-old.

Have you priced luggage lately? (No, not the cheap Kohl's, 5 piece set for $100 type). That in itself would be a good start toward $800.

I find it hard to believe it was stolen from the hallway. If anything, as mentioned, it is probably sitting in "suitcase hell" somewhere.

That and it would be nice to know which insurance company would not pay the claim since that would not be a violation in here. Or, better yet, know if it was common carrier insurance only. If it is traditional travel insurance they sure as h*** better cover it.

Did you book your cruise through a travel agent? If so go back to the agent and ask them to contact their Sales Manager to see if they can get involved with NCL about the lost luggage form you completed.

As far as your insurance, this is why it important to read what a policy covers before purchasing so you understand what is and isn't covered.

I agree with most pf the others who posted- it is much more likely someone in the terminal walked off with the bag.

Insurance - what I had was purchased through Royal Sun Alliance and must be common carrier (although it doesn't say that in the policy) as it says right in the policy that it covers checked baggage only.

Insurance - what I had was purchased through Royal Sun Alliance and must be common carrier (although it doesn't say that in the policy) as it says right in the policy that it covers checked baggage only.

That's interesting. Now you got me looking at mine..........

here's mine:

Baggage and Personal Effects: Coverage will be provided to

You: (a) against all risks of permanent loss, theft or damage to

Your Baggage and Personal Effects; (b) subject to all Exclusions

and Limitations in the policy; © up to the Maximum Benefit

Amount; and (d) occurring while this coverage is in force.

Exclusions:

Benefits are not payable for any loss caused by or resulting

from: a) breakage of brittle or fragile articles; b) wear and

tear or gradual deterioration; c) confiscation or appropriation

by order of any government or customs rule; d) theft or

pilferage while left in any unlocked vehicle; e) property

illegally acquired, kept, stored or transported; f) Your

negligent acts or omissions; or g) property shipped as

freight or shipped prior to the Scheduled Departure Date.

Archived