High speed internet coming to RCCL

Popeye II

I'm with you, CompuServe is where I spent 10 years of my life. It was a great time till it was bought out by AOHell

That's who I assumed you meant when you said you'd worked for a provider here. I had many friends there and during the transition to aol. I work with a few refugees from there as well since I'm in IT. Does that office even exist anymore?

That's who I assumed you meant when you said you'd worked for a provider here. I had many friends there and during the transition to aol. I work with a few refugees from there as well since I'm in IT. Does that office even exist anymore?

No, it completely ceased to exist a couple of years ago. The main part of the campus is now a private charter school and the data center is owned by some cloud based computer provider. We must have a few common friends/co workers then. By the way, not to sound like a deranged stalker, but I see you dumped the red Chevy and have a new car ;)

Gee whiz, and I can remember hooking up to a 300 baud acoustic coupler on an Anderson-Jacobson dumb terminal to connect to a Honeywell remote time sharing service at my job for our first experience with machine computing in the office workplace. Learned BASIC programming and spent laborious hours getting simple tasks to run properly. In those days we thought in terms of 'turn around time'. Then along came Mr. Bill Gates, MSDOS, et al and a rocket ship ride started. I'm 70 y.o. now and hope to see what we can do when I'm 80. Hang on!

(Sitting in my recliner composing this on my iPad2)

I remember how great it was upgading to a 14.4 Baud modem.

XDown, ZDown, Off line readers, Compuserve, all text based internet, no graphics, NONE.

Another biggie was the introduction of the "amber" screen from the old green text.

315 MB disk drive was bigger and heavier than a bowling ball.:eek:

And no kiddies, I am not exaggerating.

I remember when the chat sites started up. You would chat for 15 minutes then the server had to reset which took 15 minutes. :eek: So you'd be bumped off the site when the server reset and have to log back on. And of course depending on how fast you could do that depended on how much of that 15 minute chat time you got. I believe I was using Compuserve at the time (not sure tho)

I remember when the chat sites started up. You would chat for 15 minutes then the server had to reset which took 15 minutes. :eek: So you'd be bumped off the site when the server reset and have to log back on. And of course depending on how fast you could do that depended on how much of that 15 minute chat time you got. I believe I was using Compuserve at the time (not sure tho)

FYI, the father of online Chat, Mr Alexander (Sandy) Trevor is on Facebook. He invented CompuServe's CB simulator one weekend at home. I use to work for him. He was brilliant, but I remember some of the things he said in the early days like - Nobody will ever need more than a 40mb hard drive :D

Finally some great online service on the cruise ships. Now hopefully it will bring the prices down.

Where I work we are getting Wi-Fi for all of property. In the beginning they were charging, then allow DVC members free access, Now the Wi Fi is free at all resorts and now being activating at all of the parks.

Gee whiz, and I can remember hooking up to a 300 baud acoustic coupler on an Anderson-Jacobson dumb terminal to connect to a Honeywell remote time sharing service at my job for our first experience with machine computing in the office workplace. Learned BASIC programming and spent laborious hours getting simple tasks to run properly. In those days we thought in terms of 'turn around time'. Then along came Mr. Bill Gates, MSDOS, et al and a rocket ship ride started. I'm 70 y.o. now and hope to see what we can do when I'm 80. Hang on!

(Sitting in my recliner composing this on my iPad2)

I still have a 300 baud acoustic coupler in my basement. Those were the good old days. I'm only 38, but I was heavy into computers when I was quite young.

i used the computers on my last cruise to send one email and it was the slowest thing ever, I am not going to worry about using it next time i do care if its high speed , I am there to cruise .. I remembe ra kid in line blowing a fit that his mom would not get him an internet package, lol spoiled brat

Archived