Bringing wine

Lulubelle45

Ok here's a crazy question. I understand we can bring wine on board. Is there any restriction with a boxed red? Just thinking of ease and not worrying about glass breaking. It's for our stateroom. And will they provide glasses or should we bring our own though I dislike plastic. We have a fair bit of travel walking before boarding the ship.

Ok here's a crazy question. I understand we can bring wine on board. Is there any restriction with a boxed red? Just thinking of ease and not worrying about glass breaking. It's for our stateroom. And will they provide glasses or should we bring our own though I dislike plastic. We have a fair bit of travel walking before boarding the ship.

You don't need to call anyone.

You can take as much wine onto the ship as you want -- and it doesn't make any difference whether it is in a bottle or a box.

You do not need to bring your own plastic wine glasses. When you get to your cabin, if you don't see any wine glasses, just ask your cabin stewards for them and they will get them for you.

Just a tip. You might want to bring one of those inexpensive wine bottle openers (like all the liguor store sell) Last cruise we had wine, no glasses or cork screw. We called and the room service staff brought the wine glasses (real glass like in dining room) But was told they only had a few cork screws (?) and one of the wine stewards would bring us one. Well it took a second call but he finally came. He opened the wine (would not leave the cork screw for us) so we decided next time we would just bring our own. Glasses are no problem. You do have to check the cork screws in your checked luggage not your carry on.

Just a tip. You might want to bring one of those inexpensive wine bottle openers (like all the liguor store sell) Last cruise we had wine, no glasses or cork screw. We called and the room service staff brought the wine glasses (real glass like in dining room) But was told they only had a few cork screws (?) and one of the wine stewards would bring us one. Well it took a second call but he finally came. He opened the wine (would not leave the cork screw for us) so we decided next time we would just bring our own. Glasses are no problem. You do have to check the cork screws in your checked luggage not your carry on.

You don't need a cork screw for box wine. :D

Another solution: bring screw top wine. :eek:

I cover many bases by packing my Swiss Army Knife. ;)

Not trying to kidnap this thread, but as port and sherry are fortified wines, are they also allowable? :confused: A nice bottle of port to sip on the balcony before bed on a balmy evening would be rather good.

Wine is wine, no matter the alcohol content. Although trying to sneak in Bourbon as "corn wine" might be problematic! :)

Private bottles are kept (and chilled if needed) in the back for cruisers. Doubt they'd store a box of wine. Can you imagine rows of boxes in the cooler or on carts? Nope. You are paying for it to be stored, chilled and served, not just "opened" .

Not trying to kidnap this thread, but as port and sherry are fortified wines, are they also allowable? :confused: A nice bottle of port to sip on the balcony before bed on a balmy evening would be rather good.

I asked this question on board when we were in Spain as we were going to the sherry capital:) I was told it was permitted. We did bring a bottle on to take home (so if they had wanted to keep it it would not have been a big deal) and we were definitely allowed to bring it on board.

I don't think that poor bottle did make it to the suitcase:D

We bought a couple of nice portos in Lisbon and they were also allowed (they did make it to the suitcase;)).

I asked this question on board when we were in Spain as we were going to the sherry capital:) I was told it was permitted. We did bring a bottle on to take home (so if they had wanted to keep it it would not have been a big deal) and we were definitely allowed to bring it on board.

I don't think that poor bottle did make it to the suitcase:D

We bought a couple of nice portos in Lisbon and they were also allowed (they did make it to the suitcase;)).

Thanks, Kazu; that's great to know first-hand. Will definitely pick up a bottle of Galway Pipe to close off the day with. :)

Archived