Best way to get off Mahogonay Bay

Sexxxy Beast

Hi thanks for stopping in!

I will be going on a carnival cruise this December to the western Caribbean. The ports of calls are: Cozumel, Mexico Belize Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. I am new to cruising (been 1 time before to mexican rivera). Does anyone have any suggestions on must sees on at these ports of calls?

As for answering the question on my title. I was looking for things to do at the mahogany bay stop, but everything interesting at this stop seems to be quite a bit away from the port. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get out of Mahogonay Bay and get to the "real island"?

Taxi fares and buses seem expensive!

FYI to help with the suggestions:

1. We are a group of 3

2. Will not do any excursions through the cruise ship. I think that for the most part they are a rip off and I hate taking group tours like that because they waist a lot of time at gift shops! :rolleyes:

3. I dont want to spend a bunch of money to see things

4. I want something with adventure...i.e. i don't want to lounge on a beach all day and I do not want to go shopping.

Thanks in advance to all willing to lend a helping hand!

Roatan is a great island. You should look for the Port-of-call area, under Caribbean, and then Roatan. You'll find lots of advice specific to Roatan there.

We like snorkeling & scuba-diving. Good zip-lines there. We like to book a private driver - check that out - you might be pleasantly surprised that they don't cost too much.

Just one thing to consider with Mahogany Bay. The port is owned by Carnival Corp. If you wish to do an independent excursion, you need to walk up a steep hill to leave the port as only the cruise line excursions are allowed inside the gate. Same thing for taxis, only approved ones are allowed inside.

Walk straight through MB. Hurry, hurry,hurry, because it's important to get clear as fast as possible. When you leave the gate you'll need to walk up a bit of a hill. Until you crest the hill, you are walking on blind faith. After you top the hill you see a large gaggle of tour operators and cabs. You can then work out a way to visit Roatan.

You can arrange ahead of time to hire a cab via Cinthia Hinds who take you anywhere. When you approach the group at the hill and mention that you are looking for Cinthia, all sales activity slows.

Roatan is beautiful, the people are wonderful, the food is terrific. Go to Birdie's Criolla Restaurant. The beer is ..... well, they have a lot of beer.

Determining the worst is difficult but Barena is right up there with the worst.

Archived