We're back

jennand

Well actually been back 3 days but been busy. We had a wonderful first cruise on IE. Mixed reviews made us go with an open mind but we were pleasantly surprised. It compared very favourably with other Thomson cruises. OK, the cabins were not luxorious but neither were they grotty and they were very clean. Housekeeping was exemplary as usual. Wasn't too keen on the 24 hr cafeteria as everyone just seemed to be wandering around looking for something to eat, then for somewhere to sit. Much preferred the Island restaurant and we enjoyed meeting new dining companions each day. Coffee is truly awful though, hubby had to stop drinking it after 3 days as it has an undesired effect on his gastric system good job I took my own Nescafe satchets. No problem filling our thermal cups with hot water and milk. Excursions. Only did one official one and That was the one that I almost ending up the victim of pickpockets in Nice. Luckily I sensed a scam and sent the woman packing, but goes to show you have to be aware. Still, had a great time in Monaco and Monte Carlo and the tour guide Michele ( a man) was brilliant. The rest of the time we did our own thing in Corsica, La Spezia, Toulon and Barcelona. Weather was brilliant, an odd spit of rain which cleared up quickly. Sunday night was "interresting" very rocky althouh nowhere near as bad as my last cruise. Apparently it smoothed down about 11pm ( I say apparently because by that time I was rolling around for quite a different reason !!!!) which brings me to the bar prices. Beer was expensive at £3.55 a pint but hubby had the BOGOFF bottles a couple of times. Cocktail prices at £3.85 were good, even better when I had the cocktail of the day at £2.85, which I did frequently ( hence the rolling around). Entertainment- well, as usual, excellent. The entertainment team were brilliant, every one of them and the fabulous Ross Roberts excelled himself, especially when he told the audience that 24hr eating was an offer, not a challenge!!!! They were all a little anxious because their contracts are up for renewal in a couple of weeks, but the company would be stupid if they didn't renew every one of them. The guest acts were stupendous. 2 young lads from Flint -The Johnson Brothers- just blew the theatre away with their opera show. Look out Il Divo, competition. The comedian Paul Eastwood, well, we laughed ourselves silly, he was hilarious. He did 2 separate shows and guested in a couple of game shows.

All in all, we didn't want to leave the ship. I would normally have no hesitation booking again, but its going all inclusive next year and past experience tells us that we would not break even. Also, there were a couple of instances of drunken behaviour and I'm certain that this would increase if everyone was AI. Shame really as we would have booked again.

First time on Island Escape. Having sailed with P and O, Princess, and NCL and having read so many bad reviews decided to give a go and decide for myself. The ports of call were the biggest draw as there we a few we had not been to.Went with an open mind and we were really pleased with our decision. Cabin but rough in places , but very clean. All public areas were more than satisfactory and once again all very clean. Beachcomber a bit rough around the edges, but we did not use it very much. Island Restaraunt we liked very much.We are not anti social people, but we do like a table for 2 and this was never a problem. Entertainment was what you expect on any cruise ship. Entertainment in The Pub was really great with Frankie da Soto and was a great draw to many passengers every night. Would we sail on this ship again, at the right price, yes.

RR, I looked out for you, I thought I would recognise you from your photo, but maybe thats notyou???? Didyou spend quite a bit of time inThe Pub, without your other half?

carolynne, one thing we did regret (a little) was our choice of cabin. We booked 7052 which was deck 7 overlooking the front of the ship. Whilst we had lovely voews coming into port, it was very noisy. On the days we had to use the tender boats because we docked just outside the harbours ( I think that was 3 days?) then they had to use the anchors. Oh boy, what a noise that made and of course itwas early mornings. And the anchors were about 10 ft away from our window. So , no more front of ship cabins for us.

Hi Jenn, we always try and get midships for cabins and always been lucky, and yes we did spend a lot of time in the pub but was never by myself Mrs Rebel and I always go together....sometimes I think she drinks more than me :eek:

Now we have tried an Inside cabin we have booked another cruise with inside as it's a lot quieter and no light breaking through the curtains to trick the mind in getting up ;) I think most days we didn't awake until 09:00

RR

I'm back too now, after our first cruise, 16-23 Oct. FUN! It was great.:D Thanks everyone for comments and answers pre-cruise. I am ready to do another one and while I want to see other places, I now understand why so many are loyal to the IE.

The staff were great. Overall they were so friendly and helpful and relaxed. A lot of the passengers were the same, made for a very nice holiday. I felt the drink wait staff could have done a bit better job as they missed us a couple of times but nothing to really complain about as it's easy enough to go to the bar yourself. The bartenders were great, with special mention to those in the Sundowner and Sailaway.

We were in cabin 7542, mid-ship, and it was larger than I expected. Only heard a little ship noise now and then but other than that, was really quiet and supposedly we had a full ship. When there was some movement - from the waves not the alcohol - I didn't notice that it was felt more in one place than another. I did notice it most when I was sat for a bit and then stood up, but adjusted quickly.

Only watched 2 of the shows in the theatre (Musicals and Sinatra tribute act) which I enjoyed but we spent most of our time in the evenings in the Bounty Lounge. We both liked the live band (Rock the Boat), the quizzes and game shows, even if we 'had' to go on stage a couple of times. But hey, we won a couple of quizzes, and the Mr & Mrs game, and we did enjoy it so worth it. While I didn't go to the late night disco, my husband did. Don't know if it's always like this but no one would get up to dance until he urged them to. It's also themed which would have been better to know prior to going.

We enjoyed the food, eating in both the Beachcomber and the Island. I didn't mind the buffet style experience, felt more comfortable that way to go back for more if something was yummy. ;) Desserts were OK, with a couple really good but most just OK. The coffee IS pretty bad so definitely take your own instant if you need it.

We didn't use a lot of the facilities - internet, kids stuff, gym, pool - but I eventually went to have a foot treatment in the spa and once again the staff were so friendly, explaining everything that would be done and making sure I was happy with the outcome.

The only major negative thing we experienced was with the flights. Outgoing flight was late leaving due to an ill passenger and when we got into Palma, had to wait almost an hour for our luggage. There was no Thomson rep to tell us what was going on. By the time we got to the ship, checked in and had some lunch, it was close to 3. All that combined with the mandatory safety drill at 5pm meant we had missed any opportunity to visit sites in Palma, which we had hoped to squeeze in.

As for the ports we went to - Olbia, Naples, Civitavecchia, Propriano, and Mahon - Naples was the worst. Personally I think it was mostly to do with the construction and road works at the port and lack of signage on how to get in and out of the place. We didn't get off in Civi; in Propriano we did the tour to Sartene but didn't see much of Propriano itself plus it was a Sunday so not much open; Olbia was nice with a couple of extra nice shops; Mahon was the favorite, so pretty, interesting shops and cafes and a generally good feel to the place.

DW, i think the long wait for luggage in Palma is par for the course. I dont think I've ever been there and not had to wait at least 45 mins. As for Naples, well our only visit there was our last. We wouldn't get off the ship if we ever dock there again. As soon as we steppedoff, we were hounded by taxi drivers. Making our way to the ferry, we were accosted by touts and beggars. Even buying ferry tickets there was a woman pushing a collecting cup in our faces right at the window. The authorities didn't seem to discourage it. Then on the ferry to Capri, there were touts for island tours. All in all, Naples is not on my list to revisit.

Jenn - wish we had known that about the wait for the luggage in Palma before we went! Wouldn't have stood around moaning. :p

The begging I expect in Italy. Have been to several other areas and it's pretty much the same, although not as bad in the north as the south. I almost got pickpocketed on a bus in Verona. I think the reason he didn't succeed was because he was crap rather than my alertness.

In Naples there were a few sites I wanted to see but by the time we made our way out of the port, I was ready to go back to the ship. We walked towards the Royal Palace and eventually got on the City Sightseeing Bus. We've used this in several other places and it's always worth it. NOT here. Hardly any commentary, but a lot of music. Almost fell asleep! At 22 euros, expensive nap.

RR - yep, converted. Not sure when we'll get to go again tho. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Jennand....glad you enjoyed your cruise....see you mentioned the Johnson brothers....they were a guest act on Oriana last week and went down an absolute storm...not really my type of music but we just could not believe the amazing voices that came out of these two young lads....Brilliant and they should go far :)

Archived