Best Maui Excursions?

mellowrose

Hello! We will be sailing in the spring and considering the Hana Road Excursion with Valley Isle. Is it all that and more? Is there another reccomended that you really loved?

The other option would be to drive ourselves, my husband likes to drive, but we are good with relaxing to.

I guess it depends how much time you have in Maui. I've done the road to Hana several times but always while I was staying on the island. Make it an all day trip. Stopping for photos or a swim.

It depends on your rental car company. We tendered in Lahaina last month and used Dollar. They close at 5pm. Last shuttle back to the cruise ship at 4pm. Other car rental companies on that side of the island similar times. A little too rushed for me to enjoy a trip to Hana.

Is it all that and more? Its a twisty road alongside the ocean. Incredible scenery. I have some odd memories of the road to Hana. The first time my husband was in Maui and he was driving and decided to see how fast he could take the turns all the while eating cheddar potato chips. I was sick later on.

Another time back in 1978 I was with my mother and she was driving the rental car, a standard shift. I don't think they rent out standards any more. We're driving up to Hana and this truck comes around the corner with all these men in the bed of the pick up whooping and hollering and waving their arms. Behind them is a long trailer with outriggers in the back. My mother slammed on the brakes and the car stalled. They passed us with about one inch to spare!

You don't want to be meeting up with anything big traveling the opposite direction on some of those turns!

Have fun!

Just to throw another perspective at you... We did the RTH trip with Valley Isle last go-round and were very glad we did. The driver provided a lot of information from a native perspective that we would not hear about otherwise. He would stop anywhere anyone wanted to stop. There was no stress of trying to find sights or trying to navigate the road... They also did the full circle. We went back and forth with the same decision you are making and for the first time going, it was agreat choice. We would do it again on our own now that we have seen the full loop and maybe stop at some of the more off the beaten path areas to explore. We were really pooped out by the end of the day NOT driving so I can imagine how tiring it would be to go it alone.

At the end of the day, it is so beautiful, you really can't go wrong!

Thanks iwannabeatraveller! I appreciate your perspective. We went to New Zealand a few years ago and DH did all the driving in the RV. My job was to get the great views and use my breakfoot around all those curvy narrow roads. ;)

This time around maybe he should get the same awesome experience of sitting back and enjoying the trip. Its harder for guys to give up the wheel!

How is the road/drive up Haleakala? I was thinking of a leisurely drive up the mountain, stopping at the lavender farm on the way and then watching the sunset before heading back down. Is the road difficult to drive at night? Are there any other sites worth seeing before sunset along the way from Lahaina (where we are tendering) to Haleakala?

How is the road/drive up Haleakala? I was thinking of a leisurely drive up the mountain, stopping at the lavender farm on the way and then watching the sunset before heading back down. Is the road difficult to drive at night? Are there any other sites worth seeing before sunset along the way from Lahaina (where we are tendering) to Haleakala?

From Kahului to the bottom of the mountain it's fairly straight forward flat fast highway. Then it begins to get windy and about midway to the top it's quite windy with some hairpin turns. But it's still relatively easy driving. All 2-lane paved roads with clear visibility. Often has nice views.

Try to go in the morning when it's often more clear. It has higher chance to get cloudy later in the day.

There's also Iao Needle Valley. The top is often covered in cloud/mist. If you see clear sky there, go.

We also drove north clockwise Lahaina to Kahului. There's a stretch of 1-lane unpaved road. At times may need to backup on a hill, as if a car is coming the other way downhill, they have priority in the 1-lane road. The veiw is breathtaking, but for people who are not comfortable backing up on a hilly road with a cliff one one side, it's not recommended.

My husband and I went back and forth about this..should we get a car or take a tour.Well we are going on the POA the week of Xmas and finally decided what to do. After reading so many posts (Im obsessed with cruise critic chat boards haha), many people said that they have seen many people get stuck in traffic when driving themselves. So we are taking the Road to Hana tour through the cruiseship on the second day. That way, we are guaranteed the ship will not leave without us...plus, my husband would rather watch the scenery than drive it himself.

Hello! We will be sailing in the spring and considering the Hana Road Excursion with Valley Isle. Is it all that and more? Is there another reccomended that you really loved?

The other option would be to drive ourselves, my husband likes to drive, but we are good with relaxing to.

We looked at road to hana but my wife said i must be crazy, that we've been on 8 hour cars ride before, and its just too much time in a car on the road for us. We found a 6 hour tour that included lunch, wine tasting and a tour of Maui, including part of the road to hana. we booked with http://hawaiicruiseexcursions.com/MauiIslandTasteTour.htm We had a great time, we met some great folks and had fun socializing and touring Maui. happy wife = happy life = happy me!

I booked the Taste of Maui Island Tour last night for 4 people for Jan 26, 2013 sailing. The other 5 couples in our group think it is too early to book excursions. :confused:

I have booked popular excursions that take a limited number of people a year in advance! I hope your friends don't lose out. But then, most of us on CC are compulsive planners. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
I booked the Taste of Maui Island Tour last night for 4 people for Jan 26, 2013 sailing. The other 5 couples in our group think it is too early to book excursions. :confused:

I just booked "The Taste of Maui." There were only 6 seats left for January 27 and none for January 28.

• 4 weeks later...

About 10 years ago SWMBO and I took the road to Hana while spending a week on Maui. We used "Road to Hana, Hana CD Guide" narrarated by Craig Henderson. http://www.hanacdguide.com/Road_to_Hana_CD_Guide_Home_Page.html

He has now been doing this guide for 29 years and will guide you along with many interesting facts about road and sites and sights along the way. A very good way to see the place on your own pace, and see much more than you will on a van tour.

Here is another link with an inteview with Craig.

http://www.mauihawaii.org/people/craig-henderson.htm

Archived