Fort Lauderdale hotels

cruise fairy

We are booked into the Lago Marr for a couple of nights before we go on our cruise in July. Has anyone stayed there before? We were booked into the Marina Marriott but read quite a few bad reviews so we cancelled our booking. Have we done the correct thing?

Don't know about Lago Marr. But we recently stayed at the Marina Marriott and would definately stay there again. :) Got it on Priceline for $80 or so.

What did people find wrong? The rooms were nice, good views, staff very efficient and friendly, etc. etc.

All near port, on 17th St and shopping: Amerisuites, Holiday Inn Express, Embassy Suites, Marriott, Hyatt Pier 66. Do not even consider Best Western Marina.

Arlene

My DW and I have stayed at The Best Western Marina at least 4 times and never had a bad experience. My sister and another friend have stayed there and I heard no complaints from them. Every place has off days and not everyone will be pleased every time, so simply trashing a place after one bad experience is not fair. Their tiki bar is fun and there is a liquor store in the strip mall next door. They have very reliable FREE transportation to and from airport/cruise port. You can take a water taxi on the ICW and see some ships while in port especially Princess ships. It is good to keep an open mind

Thank you for the reassurance. We're staying at the Marina in November, and we've prepaid so we're not changing. I take reviews, good and bad, with a grain of salt. I'm more interested in the immediate surrounding area. You mention a liquor store nearby. Any good restaurants? Stores to pick up soft drinks and other last minute items?

Give Priceline a try. It can really save you a lot of mony. I was leary also, but have now used it four times (3 for hotels and 1 for car) and it was great. Although you don't have absolute control over which hotel you get, you can choose how many stars and the general area. We saved at least $100 per night for the Renissance. The only downside is you pay up front and it's non refundable unless you buy their insurance for $5 per night. If you do be sure to read what the insurance covers. I usually make a refundable reservation at a hotel of my choice and wait until closer to my sailing date bid on Priceline when I'm reasonably sure nothing is going to happen to prevent me from going on the cruise.

I second the Priceline recommendation. We just got the renaissance for $55 a night post cruise for July. Make sure you check out http://www.biddingfortravel.com and http://www.biddingfun.com

Bill

Just got back Sunday and stayed at the Springhill Suites, near the airport. They provided free shuttle from the cruise port and to the airport. Also was able to use the shuttle to take us to a restaraunt for dinner. Was VERY clean and nice. Spent some time by the pool.

Would recommend.

All near port, on 17th St and shopping: Amerisuites, Holiday Inn Express, Embassy Suites, Marriott, Hyatt Pier 66. Do not even consider Best Western Marina.

Arlene

Arlene---oh, dear. We have this reserved for pre-cruise in October.

did you have bad experience, or know of folks who did???

thanks.

I think you have to be a little careful with Priceline in the FLL area. It seems there's a lot of name chain hotels that are in rough shape.

I ended up with the Wyndham Airport which is currently under rehab. After I booked it, I heard many bad things about the cleanliness etc... so I emailed Wyndham corporate asking if this was corporately owned or a franchise and told them of my concerns. I got an email back from coo of Wyndham and he gave me the name of the hotel manager and his phone number if there were any problems. I emailed him back and told him I would be checking in late on a Saturday and the likelihood of this guy being onsite would be low ... so the coo of Wyndham gave me his pager in Chicago if I encountered any problems. When I checked in... I was on the top floor... accessible by passkey in the elevator... the room I had was nice... and the lobby was re-done and very nice... but the rest of the hotel appeared worn. I think once they are done rehabing it will be OK ... but until then I'd be a little leary of the priceline 'airport' hotels. It seems that a lot of the posts about the hotels around the airport have not been very good.:eek:

Can anyone tell me how close the Renaissance Hotel on 17th is to the Water Taxi? I see an online rate of $139, which includes breakfast for 2 and water taxi passes for 2. Is the hotel directly on the intercoastal? Or do you have to walk to the taxi? Is this a good rate? Wondering if they do an airport transfer? Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the reassurance. We're staying at the Marina in November, and we've prepaid so we're not changing. I take reviews, good and bad, with a grain of salt. I'm more interested in the immediate surrounding area. You mention a liquor store nearby. Any good restaurants? Stores to pick up soft drinks and other last minute items?

I usually get so trashed at the tiki bar, being finally on vacation that we don't often wander too far from the hotel. There is a Brazilian Rest. called CHIMA that was wonderful, especially if you like to eat. All meats are grilled and served cut off skewers by carvers dressed in gaucho outfits. $50.00 per person, but you can eat as much as you can.

17th St. across the bridge you can find almost anything. Good luck and have a great cruise.

In response to Deerby27, I may have only stayed there once, but believe me the reason I wouldn't go back would be because what I found wrong was not "simply a bad day". The first room we were brought to had a carpeted bathroom soaked in urine. The second had a window air conditioner - without the air conditioner (read - big empty hole). The third room was "liveable" but by no means up to anyone's standards for $100 a night. The linens were "worn", the first set of sheets mouldy (they were quickly changed when we called). Like I said in my post, I didn't want to get into details, but don't want anyone to think maybe I just had an off day! Add to all of this, the hotel is located under a bridge! I felt like a troll! Don't even get me started on their "breakfast". I think the muffin we had was baked the day I made the reservations (months in advance). I'm glad others have had a better experience, because I would wish our experience on no one. But I feel compelled on this Board to offer my experience too. Take it for what its worth!

You say that is an online rate! Could you please tell me where you got this rate as the rates I am getting for that hotel are much higher. I have a large party travelling for a wedding and need some rooms.

Thanks

We are booked into the Lago Marr for a couple of nights before we go on our cruise in July. Has anyone stayed there before? We were booked into the Marina Marriott but read quite a few bad reviews so we cancelled our booking. Have we done the correct thing?

The Marrriott is a lovely hotel. I hope you weren't mixing up the Marriott with the Best Western Marina just across the road.

Arlene

I'm sorry, but I cannot rescind any of my statements. We live locally and everyone in the area wonders how they're still in business. They are absolutely filthy! I'm sorry for those who have prepaid and cannot get their money back, but they'll know better next time. As for the poster who's been there several times............I wonder about your expectations. Nobody I've ever encountered has wanted to back.

Arlene

Can anyone tell me how close the Renaissance Hotel on 17th is to the Water Taxi? I see an online rate of $139, which includes breakfast for 2 and water taxi passes for 2. Is the hotel directly on the intercoastal? Or do you have to walk to the taxi? Is this a good rate? Wondering if they do an airport transfer? Thanks in advance.

I've read that the Renaissance hotel is right next door to the Marriott Marina is. That is where the water taxi stops. I believe they have a shuttle to the airport also.

Bill

Hope this helps. Go into the Hotel pre-post hotel section of this board. Do a search on the Comfort Inn. There has been many conversation about that hotel/motel. There are also two posters who live in FLL who are Trent and bEguia and they have been a wealth of info. I find the hotel pre-post board a major help in selecting where i stay.

Marilyn

thanks for this info! Also thanks to everone who posted great recommendations. I wish we had known about this site for our last cruise. So much helpful information!

Remember, DO NOT stay at the Airport Ramada Inn --- YUCK!

Oh no. We are staying here in September. When did you stay there? Apparently there are new owners - I hope it is in better shape now!

We stayed in Jan. 2004. Hope the new owners have cleaned it up for you.....any kind of cleaning would be an improvement.

We didn't even want to sit in the dining room booth or chairs....and we aren't picky people. But that place was some kinda nasty!

stayed at Hyatt 66 pre cruise 2 days -- not really up to my expectations for 4 star but clean.

stayed at Radisson Bahia Mar post cruise -- equally disappointing but again clean. worst part -- water leaking (profusely) inside elevator.

staff at both were very nice and helpful however.

From the outside, the Embassey Suites look neat. I have always been happy with the Renaissance brand as well...maybe try that next time.

Of note, both of those above were priceline bids. Seems the longer priceline is around the more "second class" it becomes once you check in.....'oh, you booked with a '3rd party'..." -- less than choice room assignments on the whole -- we had probably 15-20 rooms over several nights between our group, at both hotels. We were the only room in the tower at the Hyatt, and only by sweet talking our way into it. THe lanai area is less than impressive....very dated. We got sent "across the way" at the Radisson as well....again, dated, although the room was big......

Arlene

As stated:

Hyatt Pier 66 - Very nice $$$$$ and has a rotating restuarant on top with a great view.

Marriott Marina - Also very nice not quite as pricey as Pier 66

Both of these directly across the street from the Port and on the waterway.

Down the street a little ways is the Embassy Suites- Very nice - not on the water

I lived in Fort Lauderdale all my life and these would be my top picks for this area if you want to spend the bucks.

Hi - an update...we stayed at the Ramada Airport last week for 1 night pre-cruise arriving very late and we left on the 11am shuttle...it was $60 online at Ramada.com, it included breakfast (though not gourmet it was decent - toast fresh, eggs warm, various juices & coffee avaialble), shuttle from airport to hotel & hotel to cruiseport. The room was nothing exciting but it was clean and the door lock worked & it had a additional chain (I personally prefer Hyatt, Hilton, Marriot but was not willing to pay alot for a few hours) and there was sufficent water pressure...having said that, if our time there was longer I don't think I would be happy staying there but the price was right and the staff was extremely friendly & efficient (the manager even thanked us for coming). It looks like the new management is trying. We even received a survey (via email) looking for our comments a few days later. Last time (in Nov) we stayed at the Marriot Marina (that was for a day plus) but it was much more pricey & nothing extra was included. So I guess we hit the ramada on a good day and our cruise was wonderful.

Where is this rate????I've searched everywhere. Yes, this is a very good rate! Grab it!!

Will agree about Bimini Boatyard. We stayed at the Renaissance before our Sun cruise 2/17 and it was delicious. It was my birthday and the waitress asked me if I wanted a dessert for my birthday---I said no, how about a glass of wine! She obliged...it was nice.

The closest water taxi "stand" is underneath the 17th Street Bridge. That would be about a five minute walk (tops) away from the Renaissance. Cross the street, walk towards the bridge. A sidewalk on the right hand side takes you to the taxi. You get on and buy the ticket when they come around. It is $5 for the entire day. You can get on and off as many times as you want. We got off at a shopping center (forget the name) where there was a street festival, including some great Latin music and dancing. There were food venders and some nice shopping, restaurants and bars. We also got off at the beach and spent several hours there.

We stayed at the Amerisuites--free breakfast, free parking during the cruise(if you drive) and free shuttle service to and from airport/Princess terminal.

Archived