Fort Lauderdale hotels

cruise fairy

Just returned yesterday. :(

We stayed at the Renaissance on 17th pre-cruise. It was a lovely hotel with access to a Walgreens across the street. We bought a couple of twelve packs of coke to bring along. Also, it's about a 5 dollar taxi ride or a $4 per person shuttle ride away to the port. We got it for about $65 bucks a night on Priceline. I'll be staying there on each of my upcoming cruises.

Where not to stay...Bahia Mar. We stayed there post cruise and it was an absolute nightmare. Radisson recently dropped affiliation with the hotel and I'm guessing this has affected the level of service. We were not allowed to check-in until well after 4pm. When we attempted to check-in at 11, we were told to come back at 12, then 2, then 3, then 4. Very annoying. The hotel was advertised as "on the beach". In fact, it has a walkway to a public beach. The public beach is a picnic area and on a Saturday afternoon, it was family reunion central. It was not the perfect end to a perfect cruise. Stay somewhere else.

When you stayed at the Embassy, did you have to book in a catagory for cruise passengers to get your shuttle to the pier? I booked online through ES and they had a catagory specifically for cruise passengers however I think it was on the high side.(169.00) per night.

CruizenSuzen -- we had the same check in issue with the Bahia Mar -- well, I guess not problem, since check in is usually 4 -- we are so spoiled by the common nature of early check in that it was a shock. they were good about it and stored our luggage and offered to call our cell phone when our rooms were ready. We took a cab to the riverfront and had late lunch at Ole Ole (BAD service -- oh the indifference, GOOD drinks and average food) and then a bunch took in the new star wars at the theater.......passed the time quite nicely. I mentioned this before, but the leaking elevator (not dripping, either) disturbed me. We also had to call out Scotland Yard to track down ice buckets in both our room and our travelling companions'. :-)

Thanks for the tip about using priceline, although us British never get as good a deal as the Americans, we do have priceline.co.uk. Successful on my bid for a 4 star and will be staying at the Renaissance SE 17th Street. Really please as those who have stayed say it's fine. Cheapest I could find was £219.00 per room per night, bid accepted at £90.00. Thanks again. :) :) :)

Good question. I remember it was a good drive to the pier and it had the full spa/resort also. It is not near the airport either but that is all I can tell you. It was one of those deals where you get the free air and day cruise but you have to stay in the hotels they choose, I was along for the ride and quite ienjoying my Lincoln Town Car for the day.

I didn't realize one city would have several. Just a country mouse, I'm afraid!

Thanks for the tip about using priceline, although us British never get as good a deal as the Americans, we do have priceline.co.uk.
You can use the main (US) Priceline site even if you're from the UK. There are sticky threads on http://www.biddingfortravel.com that show you exactly how to do it. I've only ever bid on the US site and AFAIK never even looked at the UK site.

Hi everyone -

Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Pelican? From the website it looks nice, also good reviews on tripadvisor.com. Thinking of coming in a day or so before our cruise and enjoying the beach.

Good question. I remember it was a good drive to the pier and it had the full spa/resort also. It is not near the airport either but that is all I can tell you. It was one of those deals where you get the free air and day cruise but you have to stay in the hotels they choose, I was along for the ride and quite ienjoying my Lincoln Town Car for the day.

I didn't realize one city would have several. Just a country mouse, I'm afraid!

You probably mean the Wyndham Bonaventure Resort in Weston. It's about a half hour west of the port and has a Spa, golf course, etc. Nice place, but it's currently in the middle of a MAJOR renovation so I wouldn't recommend it until that's finished sometime later this year... http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/FLLRS/main.wnt

Hi everyone -

Has anyone stayed at the Best Western Pelican? From the website it looks nice, also good reviews on tripadvisor.com. Thinking of coming in a day or so before our cruise and enjoying the beach.

Best Western Pelican Beach's new tower is spectacular! If you don't have a car though there isn't anything within walking distance, but there are many shops and restaurants within a 5 minute cab ride. Also, it's one of the few nice hotels that's directly ON the beach... http://www.pelicanbeach.com/

As noted above, many Ft. Lauderdale "beach" hotels are actually across the street from the beach. In addition to Pelican Beach Resort the other nice hotels directly ON the beach are the Harbor Beach Marriott... http://www.marriottharborbeach.com/

And Lago Mar... http://www.lagomar.com/

Just returned yesterday. :(

We stayed at the Renaissance on 17th pre-cruise. It was a lovely hotel with access to a Walgreens across the street. We bought a couple of twelve packs of coke to bring along. Also, it's about a 5 dollar taxi ride or a $4 per person shuttle ride away to the port. We got it for about $65 bucks a night on Priceline. I'll be staying there on each of my upcoming cruises.

Renaissance is a great hotel in a great location - IMO it's the nicest of the SE17th Street hotels, directly across the street from the entrance to Port Everglades and within easy walking distance of many shops, restaurants, grocery/drug stores, and the water taxi... http://marriott.com/property/propertypage/FLLBR

We have always stayed at the Sleep Inn in Dania (8 miles away from the airport and 10 miles from the cruise port). They pick you up and drop you off at both places for free. The price of the hotel is reasonable and they have a good breakfast. There is a Walgreen and grocery store next door so you can get your last minute supplies. There is an Italian restaurant across the street. We have been there 4 times and will continue to go back on our upcoming cruises.

Ray

My personal favorite is La Quinta/airport. Thay have all suites, it is clean, with a huge fenced in pool, a gazebo, and a nice bricked courtyard with tables. It comes with free parking for the week, pre cruise, a free continental breakfast, and free shuttle to the pier, and free shuttle to/from the airport. I get it for $80 per night in October!! A nice walk to malls, restaurants, I love it there!! :)

http://www.fortlauderdalehotelsandrates.com/la-quinta-inn-fort-lauderdale-airport.html

Thank you Sue. We are planning on a Caribbean Cruise on the Golden sailing out of San Juan. We had consider staying at Ft Lauderdale and flying to San Juan the day of the Cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived