Fort Lauderdale hotels

cruise fairy

Does anyone have any suggestions for which hotel to stay in the day before the cruise? We are departing from Fort Lauderdale.

We stayed in the Airport Ramada the last time and it was AWFUL.....dirty, doors didn't locked, trickle for a shower, beds smelled of ^&%$#, just overall nasty!:mad:

We would like something close to maybe a shopping plaza....food, liquor store, convenience items, etc...

Thanks in advance!

i just got back a few days ago and i stayed at the Comfort Inn Airport/Cruisport it was disgusting!!!! But right next door almost attached is the Hampton Inn which looked brand new! That is in Hollywood 5 mins from airport. 10 to cruiseport.

My suggestion if you dont like to wait on lines w/ hundreds of people dont take the hotel shuttle they start as late as 10:30 that means by time u load everyone and get there its after 11:00 and the lines is already crazy. I took a cab w/ 4 people cost us 20.00 / 10 a couple well worth it!!! we were 3rd on line to go in.

We really like the location and quality of the Renaissance on 17th St. It's handy to the water taxi, shopping, and restaurants (Outback, Bimini Boatyard) and if you've got a few spare moments you can spend some time shopping for that yacht you've been dreaming of. There is also a really good French bakery just to the north in the small shopping center with all the yacht dealers. It's a great place for a light breakfast and cup of coffee.

There is a Holiday Inn nearby the Port, near the Renaissance. Some fellow travellers stayed there last year. It was adequate for one night. Many people bid on rooms at the Renaissance through Priceline. Comfort Inn and Embassy Suites is also on or around 17th St. More folks can comment about them I'm sure. We usually stay at our little "50's" motel up by the Bahia Cabana and Yankee Clipper area.Spongrob's suggestion is more convenient than where we stay.

We stayed one night pre-cruise at the Ft. L. Hampton Inn Airport North location. The hotel was fine, our room was clean & comfortable and the staff was pleasant We noticed a brand new Holiday Inn Express across the street as well. This particular Hampton Inn was across from a strip mall with a Winn-Dixie grocery store. There was also a couple of fast food places nearby. The courtesty shuttle to/from airport/pier worked fine. They assign you a time when you check in and we left for the pier at 12:15 which worked great. Their shuttles have pink flamingos mounted on the roof so they are very easy to spot at the airport. The free breakfast was the usual stuff - my only complaint about the hotel was that the breakfast seating area was not very big and the hotel was full. For one night this hotel worked fine, I probably would not choose it for a vacation stay tho.

i just got back a few days ago and i stayed at the Comfort Inn Airport/Cruisport it was disgusting!!!! But right next door almost attached is the Hampton Inn which looked brand new! That is in Hollywood 5 mins from airport. 10 to cruiseport.

My suggestion if you dont like to wait on lines w/ hundreds of people dont take the hotel shuttle they start as late as 10:30 that means by time u load everyone and get there its after 11:00 and the lines is already crazy. I took a cab w/ 4 people cost us 20.00 / 10 a couple well worth it!!! we were 3rd on line to go in.

What was wrong with the Comfort Suites - We have a pre cruise on Oct 29 booked there.

Ron

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn on Sterling Rd (the one near the Comfort Inn/Cruiseport) that one of the previous posters mentioned ... and the Hampton Inn was very nice. It was a typical Hampton Inn.... large clean rooms, continental breakfast, near a small shopping plaza, etc....

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th in March. Very clean and more than adequate for one night pre-cruise. Staff were wonderful, and location to restaurants and shopping (even a liquor store if so required:rolleyes: ).

Stayed at Comfort Inn Suites last year. No specific complaint but just found it "tired".

Arlene is right - STAY AWAY FROM BEST WESTERN MARINA!!!!! I won't even get into the conditions there. We stayed there two years ago, and it took us three tries before they gave us a room we were willing to sleep in.

I think next time we're going to try Embassy Suites. Haven't seen the rooms, but the lobby is truly amazing - a wonderful way to kick off a cruise. Complimentary breakfast (not continental) and complimentary happy hour.

But just for a basic room, you can't go wrong with Holiday Inn Express on 17th.

Jackie

I read on this board that the AmeriSuites lets you leave your car parked there during your cruise. Has anyone done that? We're driving in from Georgia and that would save us $84 x2. And do you have to stay with them after the cruise to park there.

thanks

Yes you can leave your car there and no, you don't have to stay there post cruise. I assume you'll be staying there pre-cruise; correct? Their parking lot is a large open lot shared with a Mexican restaurant next door.

Arlene

My personal favorite is La Quinta/airport. Thay have all suites, it is clean, with a huge fenced in pool, a gazebo, and a nice bricked courtyard with tables. It comes with free parking for the week, pre cruise, a free continental breakfast, and free shuttle to the pier, and free shuttle to/from the airport. I get it for $80 per night in October!! A nice walk to malls, restaurants, I love it there!! :)

http://www.fortlauderdalehotelsandrates.com/la-quinta-inn-fort-lauderdale-airport.html

coiran, This is where i stayed at the comfort inn/airport / cruisport hotel located on Stirling Road. The room was filthy, tired, we would not even use the shower, i guess it is okay for one night!! We shared it w/ another couple, our objective was to save some money we didnt want to spend alot for 1 nights sleep and we got what we payed for!!! We did see some bugs, and the gentleman next to us was there on business and left the hotel b/c it looked like there was oil in the center of the room on the floor it was gross, next time i will definately use the suggestions on here, the Hampton Inn next to it looked brand new.

The complimentary breakfast was good they had lots to choose from, i was impressed with that after seeing what the room looked like.

http://travel.travelocity.com/hotel/HotelDetail.do?propertyId=13756&startIndex=0&showMap=0&sortOrder=ascPOSPicks&sortAlpha=-1&SEQ=11169476263734242005&hotelQKey=-2983417345646561891

Hope this helps. Go into the Hotel pre-post hotel section of this board. Do a search on the Comfort Inn. There has been many conversation about that hotel/motel. There are also two posters who live in FLL who are Trent and bEguia and they have been a wealth of info. I find the hotel pre-post board a major help in selecting where i stay.

Marilyn

Hope this helps. Go into the Hotel pre-post hotel section of this board. Do a search on the Comfort Inn. There has been many conversation about that hotel/motel. There are also two posters who live in FLL who are Trent and bEguia and they have been a wealth of info. I find the hotel pre-post board a major help in selecting where i stay.

Marilyn

thank you i wish i knew this before hand!!! i just found this forum, i am so ready for my next trip i will be well prepared!!!

Last November we stayed at the Renissance which was nice. It's right across the road from the Port. We actually got to watch the ship pull into port. The cost for the room was pricey. My sister and her family, same cruise as we were on, stayed at the Embassy Inn. They really liked their room which was a suite so 4 people were able to stay in that room really easy. That hotel is really pricey too!! But, this past April we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street and it was really nice for at least $100 LESS per night. All of these hotels are really close to shopping and resturants. We have another cruise this November and we are all planning on staying at the Holiday Inn Express. Rates are usually about $100 per night. The rooms were very clean and it looked like the bathroom was just redone. They also have a nice continental breakfast in the morning which was nice and held us over until we could board the ship and start really eating!!! :D

Give Priceline a try. It can really save you a lot of mony. I was leary also, but have now used it four times (3 for hotels and 1 for car) and it was great. Although you don't have absolute control over which hotel you get, you can choose how many stars and the general area. We saved at least $100 per night for the Renissance. The only downside is you pay up front and it's non refundable unless you buy their insurance for $5 per night. If you do be sure to read what the insurance covers. I usually make a refundable reservation at a hotel of my choice and wait until closer to my sailing date bid on Priceline when I'm reasonably sure nothing is going to happen to prevent me from going on the cruise.

We are booked into the Lago Marr for a couple of nights before we go on our cruise in July. Has anyone stayed there before? We were booked into the Marina Marriott but read quite a few bad reviews so we cancelled our booking. Have we done the correct thing?

We stayed in the Airport Ramada the last time and it was AWFUL.....dirty, doors didn't locked, trickle for a shower, beds smelled of ^&%$#, just overall nasty!:mad:

Oh no. We are staying here in September. When did you stay there? Apparently there are new owners - I hope it is in better shape now!

Another "non-chain" motel in the Ft. Lauderdale Beach/Lauderdale by the Sea area is the Green Island Inn. We stayed there recently on a trip to Ft. Lauderdale and loved it. It's a much smaller (~25 room) motel with tons of atmosphere. If you're looking for something by the port, this is not your hotel. However, if you're looking to kick back a little bit, it's really nice. Lush landscaping, french doors on every room, and about 2 blocks from the beach. Plus, it's cheaper than Priceline!

Definitely "mom and pop", but delightful because of that. You'll want a car though since it is a bit of a hike from the airport.

Archived