Istanbul Disembarkation & Athens transfer

rayjames7

Does anyone know at what time the Oceania cruises typically disembark in Istanbul? We are trying to arrange a transfer and need to give them an approximate time.

The other question is does anyone have a recommendation for transfer from the airport to hotel in central Athens? Would like to avoid a regular taxi but don't want to spend too much either for two people...thank u in advance!

I used http://www.stargroup.gr ....... €55 for a C class Mercedes from Piraeus to the airport.

The website is a little unwieldy, but you book via the form, send it, wait for a confirmation/hold, then pay via Paypal. They then send you back a full confirmation. This company were recommended to me over on the Silversea forum. It really is worth pre booking a car in Piraues as the taxi area is chaos.

Depending on how light you travel, and how close your hotel is to Syntagma Square, you could take the X95 Express bus from the airport for €5 per person. We did the X96 bus to Piraeus this past June. Easy, fast, and dirt cheap.

Depending on how light you travel, and how close your hotel is to Syntagma Square, you could take the X95 Express bus from the airport for €5 per person. We did the X96 bus to Piraeus this past June. Easy, fast, and dirt cheap.

Your photo albums are quite wonderful -- I looked at every photo (I confess, with envy). Thanks for posting them.

Your photo albums are quite wonderful -- I looked at every photo (I confess, with envy). Thanks for posting them.

Thanks... We both enjoy taking the photos; the secret to great photos is having a huge pile of rejects!

Wanted to give a bit more info on the bus, in case the OP was interested - didn't have time for details this AM before work. The timetables, maps, and other useful information can be found here: http://www.oasa.gr/content.php?id=airlines&lang=en

As I said, we took the X96 bus from the airport directly to Piraeus pier this past June. It drops you closer to the interisland ferries than it does to the big cruise ship piers, but taxis are plentiful and it cost <€10 to get a taxi right to the pier. It would have been walkable with one fewer suitcase...

The bus is very easy to find at the airport; they all line up right outside of the luggage claim area, and the route numbers are prominently displayed on the buses. The tickets are sold in a booth right there, and they were €5 per person per trip in June.

The buses are double-length articulated vehicles with plenty of floor space for big luggage items, and there were enough seats for all when we rode. They don't check tickets until you're underway, so send someone to the bus to load bags and get seats while one person buys tickets.

The X95 bus will take you right into town - Syntagma Square. If you're staying at the Grand Bretagne, the hotel is right there. I don't know if your hotel is on the bus route, but if you want to save a ton of money, and you can handle your own luggage on the bus, it may be worth exploring this option. We did it with 2 large suitcases and 2 small carry-on bags. Check the route map (link from the page above) and see if it will work for you.

Don't know which hotel you are staying in but we took a regular taxi in August from the port, just outside the baggage area to the Intercontinental for the princely sum of 9.50 euros! Oceania wanted $130 each for the bus transfer and we arrived at the hotel about an hour before they did.:) From the airport to central Athens a regular taxi should be around 35 euros but JPalbany is right - the bus is very easy if you are fit and don't have TOO much luggage.

you did notice the OP is leaving the ship in Istanbul and flying to Athens.

Yes I did - that is why I edited the post. I was pointing out that taxis in Athens are pretty cheap - as is the bus! I assumed that the passenger was flying into Athens and departing Istanbul.

Does anyone know at what time the Oceania cruises typically disembark in Istanbul? We are trying to arrange a transfer and need to give them an approximate time.

The other question is does anyone have a recommendation for transfer from the airport to hotel in central Athens? Would like to avoid a regular taxi but don't want to spend too much either for two people...thank u in advance!

Hi, We have cruised with Oceania twice and both times we docked 6am and it was a requirement that you vacate your room by 8am and leave the ship by 9am. In Athens the Metro goes right to the airport and it's fast,clean with luggage able to be rolled on board. Costs around 9 euro to Monastiraki which is Central City. There are lots of hotels close by the Metro station. We are senior citizens and had no problems doing it on the Metro.

We have always used the following company and find them very reliable, used now 4 times in the past 2 years.

http://www.athenstours.gr/Athens_Private_Tours.php

Regards timings Oceania have you off the ship by 9am in the morning, we found them to be very punctual regards disembarkation.

Enjoy your cruise.

Archived