Carnival Cruiser Looking For Advice

jeschwartz82

I have, so far, only cruised on CCL. While my first 2 cruises were wonderful, and service was outstanding, both of my cruises this year have left much to be desired. The quality of food was not at all what I remember from prior cruises. I don’t know if this has something to do with Carnival’s new menus or just a general deterioration in quality. The service was … well, it was pretty bad to be honest. On our last cruise, there were 2 days out of 7 where the room steward never came at all. When he did, our Carnival towels were removed from the room and when we called to ask about having them replaced or returned we were told to call room service *click*. Beers also went missing from the minifridge, but were returned before the end of the sailing. The bar servers up on the open decks were actually very aggressive and sometimes even rude. I asked once for water (I had already purchased several drinks, mind you) and was told to go to the bar and get it myself. Add to all this the recent changes to Carnival’s past guest program … and well, you get the picture …

My husband and I are looking to try another cruise line. We feel quite certain that not all cruise lines are the same and are looking for a different experience, something more along the lines of how we felt when we first started cruising. I don’t really know much about NCL, and don’t know anyone who has sailed with them before. Do you think NCL would be a good choice for someone looking to have a good time, but a step up from the “party cruise” mentality?

Well, keep in mind that you're posting your question on an NCL board filled with people who tend to like NCL. :)

There are a lot of threads here where people ask the difference between NCL and other lines. Using the search, or paging through a 4-5 pages of topics here, should uncover some good information. There's also a good review of the Epic from a former CCL cruiser in my signature area (Don's review) that would be worth a read.

I've been on RCCL, NCL, DCL and CCL and have made NCL my line of choice. I love "freestyle", the friendliness of the staff, and the overall "vibe" of the ships (fun, but not party boat). I found the food to be better than average with a ton of choices, both free and pay. Like any other line the ships and itineraries can give you different experiences. The Epic and the upcoming Breakaway are in a class by themselves when it comes to entertainment and things to do. There are smaller ships with fewer options, but also very good. I would suggest doing some reading of posts here for opinions of one line versus another

Yes I do . Im not going to get into the food , to dicey when it comes to taste.( I like NCL food ) But if you are looking for the crew to be a bit more polite you cant go wrong with NCL . They have some of the nicest crew you will find on a ship any where. Always helpful , smiling and Not rude..

Give it a shot , its sounds like you have no where to go but up..;)

I think there are three main differences. First, CCL has assigned dining and YTD. We did YTD and waited two times over an hour. On NCL there are main dining rooms, but you go when you want, or there is the buffet and many specialty restaurants. The steakhouse on Carnival is now almost $50 a person. No specialty restaurant comes near that on NCL. There are boards posted around the ship that show waiting times, if any. Second, on CCL they love their so called Elegant Nights. If you do not participate, you will be thrown overboard, or at least that is what we felt. And third, NCL has a lot more activity options. We are not drinkers, but there are cards, crafts, etc. We like that.

Both are mainstream lines but IMHO, I've had more fun on NCL cruises as it seems to be a bit more festive. I do drink, gamble and party (am I missing any other vices?). Keep in mind each ship and each cruise take on it's own personality.

The last CCL, I took i seemed like the people were a bit more rude and were more worried about the food trough than being polite. Again, that was just the personality of that cruise. I had no problem with their YTD.

It seems like everyone's food quality has dropped a bit over the years but I have had no problem with the dining room food. One thing about a cruise, if you don't like something order something you do like. NCL's food quality is fine and I prefer not going to the up charge restaurants as that cuts into my beer money.

I booked a NCL Star cruise in January and since I've had pretty good luck service wise with NCL, I went with them again. I've had better luck with NCL over all of the mainstream lines but don't consider myself a cheerleader.

Do your research on the ship and select one that works for you.

We have not cruised CCL since 2010, and from your post it sounds like CCL has gone down hill fast.

The responses to your question so far have brought up good points about NCL, and I agree with all of them, especially sdmike. There are a lot of options with NCL, ships (with more big ones on the way), and dining.

What sets NCL apart from CCL is freestyle dining (you can eat anytime, anywhere), and you don't have to dress up if you don't want to.

The crew IMHO is exceptional, always willing to help, and very attentive.

I believe you will enjoy NCL! :)

Food: It's subjective, and I can't tell you if you'll enjoy NCL more. I think NCL does a great job with offering reasonably priced alternative dining if you find the food in the MDRs (two of them) doesn't suit you. NCL has something called the Blue Lagoon, which is a table service 24 hr (ok, there's a few hours around 3 am that it's closed) casual food restaurant. A nice alternative when the buffet is closed, or you want something better than buffet for service but not as fancy as the MDRs. You can search for the menu by typing "Blue Lagoon Menu" in the search box, if interested. Alternative dining venues, which includes Italian, Brazilian churascaria, traditional steakhouse, French, Teppenyaki and Asian fusion, are all less than $40/pp.

Service: I'm very happy with NCL's service. However, at its worst, I think it can be similar to what you encountered on Carnival. I had one cruise where on two different days the room steward never came until it was turn down time. Otherwise, no incidents. I've read on Cruise Critic, that people had similar issues to you with towels and being told "go to the buffet" for water, so I think for mass market lines, this can be a standard answer. So, can it be as bad as Carnival? Probably yes. Is that standard? No.

FYI-rooms are a little smaller on NCL for insides, oceanviews and balconies. But I hear the suite experience on NCL is far better than the other mass market lines.

jeschwartz82, I have previously cruised NCL only once back in 1999, and then did one on X, and five on Carnival. My last Carnival cruise was in 2010, and honestly they all were great cruises, but on the last cruise I did start to see some deterioration in service and alround quality of many things. And since then the changes at Carnival are coming on so fast and furious, that when I decided to book a cruise again for 2013, I found myself finally not wanting to go back on Carnival ( some day maybe) but for now, I need to branch out and try something different. After much research, I decided on NCL, and based my choice on pricing for solo travel (studio on Epic), and the freestyle idea. I dont like the idea anymore of set time dining, same table, same people every night, even when I travel solo. I like the varied choices of dining places, and options, even the pay for ones. I like the types of entertainment mostly that NCl offers. The itin, I chose, was not really of importance to me, as I just want the Caribbean, anywhere for 7 days. I was impressed also, that after 13 years, when I called Norwegian, they had my info as a previous cruiser, and offered me an OBC, ( small one ), but still more than I ever got from Carnival. I say, just do your research, check out the different lines, find what appeals to you most, then pick a line, ship and itin at a price that appeals and go for it. Im looking forward to trying NCL again, and have a feeling that I will be happy there.:)

I was recently on Carnival and I though the food was better than the past few times. Always found something we liked. No service complaints either. yes, there have been cutbacks that I noticed, but all the lines have had cutbacks too.

I would suggest trying out NCL for yourself to see if you like it. We did, and I'm glad we did.

...... Always found something we liked.......

Agree 100% as there was always something I could find that I liked. That and it's fun to experiment with some things you may or may not like.

As to any dinner wait times, I could always find a bar to hang out in if there was a wait. I also like NCL's "wait time displays" by restaurant. Sometimes there was a long wait in one and not in another.

It's funny how the CCL Steakhouse price keeps going up on the NCL threads. haha. First I saw 40 then 45 now 50. In reality its 35 dollars and the steakhouse was fantastic on my last CCL cruise. Looking forward to my first NCL cruise tho.

IMHO I would gladly pay $40-$50 on a cruise ship. To get a really great steak. I like Morton's or Pappas Bros in Dallas. A good steak dinner costs me $100. So for me worth it.

thanks everyone for your replies. i have read the suggested review by don and searched a few other comparison threads.

its looking like we are going to give NCL a try and see if they can offer the cruise experience we are looking for. :)

You won't know until you try. I hope you like it as much as I do.

thanks everyone for your replies. i have read the suggested review by don and searched a few other comparison threads.

its looking like we are going to give NCL a try and see if they can offer the cruise experience we are looking for. :)

Come over from the "Dark Side" we don't bite and you will enjoy yourself.

cheers...the Ump...:D

I was on my fourth ccl cruise last month. It was pretty bad and I wrote a review detailing why. Four in three years and each one was progressively worse. And my last cruise with ccl was a comp through their CAS program

I totally agree with the posters about the ncl epic being a great deal for the cost. Going on the star next week and will post a review when I get back. This cruise too as was the epic comped by Caesars aka harrah's so the money did not pay any factor in my disappointment with ccl.

And food is really subjective. While I had no complaints about the food on the splendor last month the service was horrible. The food and service on the epic was superior.

But in my opinion princess is still a better line over either if cost is not the primary factor. Princess costs more than both but the line rates higher in all categories. But that is just my opinion. Was on the Caribbean princess in April and for an older ship is was much better maintained than the splendor.

Marsha

Marsha

Archived