Rome hotel room near Pantheon that sleeps four?

NCCruisingmom

I know there have been a lot of Rome hotel questions, and I did search to try to find an answer. I apologize for asking yet another Rome hotel question. :D

We are planning a June cruise on Navigator of the Seas, which leaves from and returns to Civitavecchia. There are four of us (two adults, two kids 14 and 10). It seems that most hotel rooms sleep two or maybe three people. We are planning to fly in the day before the cruise and stay two days after the cruise, so we are looking for a hotel for one night before and two nights after.

I'd love to stay in a more Italian hotel, but I would also love to have all of us in one room if I can. It seems that the Pantheon area is the best central location for touring after the cruise. Are there any hotels that allow four people in a room for $300-400 USD (which I think is about 225-300 euros) per night? If not, are there hotels that might have connecting rooms at a lower price point if we have to get two rooms? I have seen hotels recommended in that area, but they seem to be limited to two or three person rooms.

I know we will arrive in Rome exhausted pre-cruise, but I thought it would be better to stay in Rome that night even if we don't see much, then transfer to the port the next morning. Is there any reason we should just stay in Civitavecchia the night before the cruise?

Thanks very much for your help! I've only been to Rome once for one day on a cruise a long time ago, and we didn't have kids then. :)

Albergo Santa Chiara, right behind the Pantheon, has some quad rooms. You may need to email them to get specifics (i.e., not sure if they show up on the website). I'm not sure on the price but they are "reasonable" for the area and less than the Albergo del Senato. Give them a try.

NCCruisingMom, you are looking for a "quad" room. They are out there, you just have to search a little. Booking.com lets you search for quad rooms by price range. For next June you may need to contact hotels directly right now though, sometimes you don't see next summer until after the first of the year.

NCCruisingMom, you are looking for a "quad" room. They are out there, you just have to search a little. Booking.com lets you search for quad rooms by price range. For next June you may need to contact hotels directly right now though, sometimes you don't see next summer until after the first of the year.

Thanks! I will check out Booking.com. :)

Albergo Santa Chiara, right behind the Pantheon, has some quad rooms. You may need to email them to get specifics (i.e., not sure if they show up on the website). I'm not sure on the price but they are "reasonable" for the area and less than the Albergo del Senato. Give them a try.

I've stayed in Abergo Santa Chiara about four times over the course of two decades. Other than the desk staff being somewhat cold and formal, you'll like everything about this hotel. It lacks Albergo del Senato's awe inspiring view out the window, but the hotel is clean, well-appointed, breakfast is acceptable (Don't expect an American breakfast anywhere except the ultra-expensive Via Veneto chain hotels), and the location is perfect.

I've stayed in Abergo Santa Chiara about four times over the course of two decades. Other than the desk staff being somewhat cold and formal, you'll like everything about this hotel. It lacks Albergo del Senato's awe inspiring view out the window, but the hotel is clean, well-appointed, breakfast is acceptable (Don't expect an American breakfast anywhere except the ultra-expensive Via Veneto chain hotels), and the location is perfect.

Thanks! Do you think the hotel is too formal for kids, or is it more than the front desk staff is not overly friendly?

I just gotta ask..... what do you mean "too formal for kids" ? :confused:

The previous poster said the front desk staff was cold and formal. Arriving from an overnight flight with two kids, I would like to stay somewhere that is welcoming to families. This will be my children's first time to Europe - I would like them to have a good first impression of the people of Italy, as well as make a good impression themselves. I have stayed in hotels that very rarely see children, and I have stayed in very nice hotels that are warm and welcoming to people of all ages. Just wondering what the previous poster's experience was.

No deeper meaning intended than that. :confused:

Thanks! Do you think the hotel is too formal for kids, or is it more than the front desk staff is not overly friendly?

The hotel isn't too formal for kids; the presence of quad rooms is your clearest evidence of that fact.

The front desk is formal in the sense that answers to questions include reliable information, but the staff doesn't engage guests in chatty conversation. I have no problem with this behavior. I'll always take competence and reliability over instant friendship that masks a poorly run hotel.

The hotel isn't too formal for kids; the presence of quad rooms is your clearest evidence of that fact.

The front desk is formal in the sense that answers to questions include reliable information, but the staff doesn't engage guests in chatty conversation. I have no problem with this behavior. I'll always take competence and reliability over instant friendship that masks a poorly run hotel.

Thank you! That answers the question I apparently didn't ask very well. :) I appreciate your help very much!

The previous poster said the front desk staff was cold and formal. Arriving from an overnight flight with two kids, I would like to stay somewhere that is welcoming to families. This will be my children's first time to Europe - I would like them to have a good first impression of the people of Italy, as well as make a good impression themselves. I have stayed in hotels that very rarely see children, and I have stayed in very nice hotels that are warm and welcoming to people of all ages. Just wondering what the previous poster's experience was.

No deeper meaning intended than that. :confused:

What do you expect to have happen at check in? I'd like my room to be ready. I'd like the type of room I reserved to be the one assigned to me. If there are any special idiosyncrasies about the room, I'd like them explained. I'd like breakfast hours and the location of the breakfast room explained. That's it. I don't require social conversation about my flight or the number of times I've visited or any topic.

If you need more than that to make a good impression on your children, I recommend you look elsewhere. The staff has not been chatty on previous visits.

What do you expect to have happen at check in? I'd like my room to be ready. I'd like the type of room I reserved to be the one assigned to me. If there are any special idiosyncrasies about the room, I'd like them explained. I'd like breakfast hours and the location of the breakfast room explained. That's it. I don't require social conversation about my flight or the number of times I've visited or any topic.

If you need more than that to make a good impression on your children, I recommend you look elsewhere. The staff has not been chatty on previous visits.

I don't expect anything to happen at check-in except to get checked in - I'm not looking for entertainment or socializing. I don't expect anything special because I have children or because they are first time visitors. We don't require special amenities, high chairs, kids meals or coloring pages. I'm not looking for a Disney hotel with cartoons playing in the lobby and characters available for autographs. I was just curious about what you meant by cold and formal. Now I know.

I should have just said "I'm curious what you mean by cold and formal - would you please elaborate?" and left the children out of the discussion. Lesson learned.

Thank you for your responses.

Wowee zowee....this thread went off in a weird direction :o

I really didn't mean anything by my question.... I was just curious about what you meant by "too formal for kids"

I think you might be surprised by some Europeans - especially those that deal with tourists. They sometimes are not what we would call "friendly" here in the US but in reality they are performing their jobs in a way they perceive is a professional and courteous manner. To us it might seem cold and formal.

You will find some who will be "friendlier" than others but overall Europeans are much more reserved than we are. Just my observation.

I really didn't mean anything by my question.... I was just curious about what you meant by "too formal for kids"

I think you might be surprised by some Europeans - especially those that deal with tourists. They sometimes are not what we would call "friendly" here in the US but in reality they are performing their jobs in a way they perceive is a professional and courteous manner. To us it might seem cold and formal.

You will find some who will be "friendlier" than others but overall Europeans are much more reserved than we are. Just my observation.

Yes, it did. My fault for being unclear and posting when I should probably be getting ready for bed. :o

Cold and formal was presented as a negative thing - "other than the staff being somewhat cold and formal, you'll like everything about this hotel." I was just curious about that since it was deemed important enough to mention.

And this answered my question. I don't consider this behavior to be negative or cold - just professional. So I'm glad I asked, despite the drama that followed. :D

I am Australian, and I agree that Italians do not engage in much friendly small talk by our standards, nor do restaurant personnel. Keep in mind that they often have to switch all day between numerous languages. My husband is Italian born and I have taken Italian lessons as a hobby for a few years. I felt humiliated in Rome when I spent half an hour in the hotel lobby, listening the staff switch from French to German, Italian to English.

They were just so skilled! But I have to say that many members of my husband's family here are not what I would consider to be especially skilled in making small talk socially.

Actually the one thing that people ask us all the time in Italy, usually in Italian to my husband, is "how long is the flight? ie to Australia. When told 24 hours,

they shudder.

Archived