Internet charge

stoneharborlady

You can go to the Princess web site and purchase internet packages before you go and it will save you some money. All ships now have wireless internet via satellite but you need to pay for the account and you are charged per minute. Satellite internet is very slow so be prepared

often i have seen a bonus minutes if you sign up on the 1st day as well. so that means after sailaway, as you cant buy anything before the ship sails.
You get more bonus minutes if you pre-order the Internet package. However, if you choose to wait until you board, you can sign up for the Internet at any time. The ship doesn't have to have sailed. That applies only to the ship's shops.

One caveat: if you are eligible for free minutes as a Platinum or Elite passenger, do NOT pre-order an Internet package. The charge will not be reversed or refunded. Do it only if you plan to use more minutes than your Platinum/Elite perk package.

All Princess ships have WIFI. In most cabins, the reception is good. Sometimes the cabin door needs to be propped open to obtain a strong enough signal.

You can also use WIFI in the atrium and many other public areas on the ship.

Speed is basically that of dial-up and the internet may not be available at all times due to the ship's position

Using WIFI is the same cost as using the ship's computers in their Internet Cafe.

First there is a $3.95 initial sign up charge (once per cruise per user; free for platinum/elite passengers). Then 75 cents/minute unless you purchase a package. No refund for package minutes not used.

Packages:

100 minutes $55.00

150 minutes $75.00

250 minutes $100.00

500 minutes $175.00

If you sign up for a package the first day, there is usually some free bonus minutes. You can also pre-pay for a package at http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp and this will include more bonus minutes than you would get onboard. If you pre-pay, it will also include the 3.95 initial sign-on fee.

The package minutes can be used on your own computer, on the ship's computers in the Internet Café and on any WIFI compatible devices that you have.

The first time you use the Internet onboard, there will be instructions on how to set up your account and select a password.

Please note that on your own computer you must sign out with an address of 1.1.1.1 or your minutes may continue to be counted down. Alternatively, you can use an address of logout.com .

If you sign up on board for a package, you do so either on your own laptop or one of the ship's computers in the Internet Cafe. Either way, you can do it without the need to interact with the Internet Cafe manager.

If you use the ship's Internet Café computers, you cannot open attachments to e-mails. Also, the ship's computers have no application software such as Excel or Word.

Thanks that information is timely for me as I getting ready to check out the Princess cruise personalizer to try and get an idea of what my internet costs are likely to be on my 49 day SA cruise.

One question - are these rates standard on all Princess ships - I know extra minutes can vary.

Am I also to assume that if I pre-order I am charged at the time.

Thanks and cheers

Dennis

Archived