"O" Points

MATTIEMOM

My sister and family were on a Baltic cruise this summer and received some trivia "O" points (cards). They missed redemption day. If the cards are given to me, am I able to use them and redeem them on our upcoming Caribbean cruise in November?

In other words, are they transferrable? And, can I keep accumulating them and wait and redeem them all on our Mediterranean cruise next year to have enough to get something better that requires more points?

Sorry if there are already posts on O points. I tried to search, but it may be user error.

Thanks!

My sister and family were on a Baltic cruise this summer and received some trivia "O" points (cards). They missed redemption day. If the cards are given to me, am I able to use them and redeem them on our upcoming Caribbean cruise in November?

In other words, are they transferrable? And, can I keep accumulating them and wait and redeem them all on our Mediterranean cruise next year to have enough to get something better that requires more points?

Sorry if there are already posts on O points. I tried to search, but it may be user error.

Thanks!

Yes you can - the O point cards were not dated on our cruise in April 2012 so didn't expire! If this has changed since April, I stand to be corrected.

O has been promising to change the big O points for several years. I'll bet one day they do and that you will not be able to redeem the old ones. There have been only very limited changes to the premiums offered. We had several spirited conversations on previous cruises with different CDs on this.

There have been only very limited changes to the premiums offered. We had several spirited conversations on previous cruises with different CDs on this.

On our last cruise it was suggested (and we think that this sounds like great fun), that Oceania should sponsor a "Big O Point" auction on each cruise of over ten days.

Items such as luncheon with the Chief Engineer or Head Chef could be auctioned, along with a Cabana on the R ships, or an extra Specialty Reservation on the larger ships.

THEN the points would become VERY sought after and participation would soar. ;)

On our last cruise it was suggested (and we think that this sounds like great fun), that Oceania should sponsor a "Big O Point" auction on each cruise of over ten days.

Items such as luncheon with the Chief Engineer or Head Chef could be auctioned, along with a Cabana on the R ships, or an extra Specialty Reservation on the larger ships.

THEN the points would become VERY sought after and participation would soar. ;)

Oh I like this idea. I think I would prefer either lunch with the Head Chef or an extra Specialty Reservation.:D

The Big "O" points have changed already. A few years back. I still have many of the white cards with the Blue Numbers. They were not accepted after the new red, blue and green ones were introduced. Therefore you can keep them from cruise to cruise, but if they change them, you are out of luck. Also on our last cruise they were not giving "O" points for participation, only for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If you are on a cruise with ping pong champions, you never advance to the second round. Never got a point for ping pong last cruise even though I went every day. Trans Atlantic so that means every day. We had fun though as it was quite competitive.

WE have been told that passengers have been saving their points from many cruises. I'm guessing (?) there is a profitability calculation and the cruise directors have strongly discouraged carry over of Big O points. Just a couple of years ago we could turn in the points for a certificate of BOP's, no more.

Also noted a discontinuance of participation point awards. The auction idea would only encourage non-redemption. I've also saved some of the redemption charts and note that the items change as well as the point requirements from ship to ship.

Can anyone give an example of what you might get in exchange for whatever many points?

Not much, key chain, hat, t-shirt, and items they want to get rid off-things like that. I think most people do it for the fun of the games.

Rick

I think there's also a fun, reverse status to some of the prizes. People laugh and show off their bookmarks, or say, "I got a crying towel!" It's all in fun.

Archived