Carnival Valor 10-13-2012 Review (with pictures)

valancy1

DAY FOUR: DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

For those who have not visited this island, let me just say that out of the 4 ports on our itinerary, this was the one I was least excited about. However, it ended up being my absolute FAVORITE.

Even the cruise director will say that you don't want to venture out without a tour, and that's fine. We had a tour planned. I absolutely LOVED coming here and can't wait to come back.

When we were backing into port, we noticed dancers dancing on the pier welcoming us!

DSC03505_zps8a7c90a8.jpg

DSC03502_zpsa79f88b0.jpg

SEAVIS! SEAVIS! SEAVIS!! That's all I have to say. If you don't have something lined up for Dominican Republic, you should really consider SEAVIS.

Our tour was on a speedboat. We went to visit the caves that these ancient people lived in. We visited the mangrove forests, then we went to Saona (say OH nuh) and then out to this sandbar to look for starfish... What an incredible, wonderful day.

I am not sure if I can post videos. Maybe I should post them to Youtube and direct you there... I took a lot of videos out on our excursion that day.

DSC03507_zps25204f58.jpg

These are those caves that the native people lived in. Until Columbus came and brought enough diseases to wipe out 85% of the population. They left when he left. They moved to another area on the island and our guide told us their descendents are easy to pick out because of their finer, chiseled features and carmel-colored skin.

The mangrove forest:

DSC03511_zps9fb76bd1.jpg

This is where Columbus hid his boats during a hurricane and where the locals bring their boats during bad storms when they get them. The mangroves are so intertwined they are a perfect shelter for protecting boats.

Our tourguide, Carol

DSC03512_zpsdfb40a73.jpg

And then we get to Saona...

DSC03513_zps13da7eca.jpg

DSC03514_zpsad882951.jpg

We got lunch as part of our excursion... the food was pork, chicken, some salads, beer, soda, water...

DSC03515_zpsc7b9c50f.jpg

DSC03516_zpsf7ac2249.jpg

DSC03517_zps5b6372f5.jpg

DSC03519_zps9eaa1598.jpg

When we got back and the ship was all buttoned up, we got a farewell from the port staff. We just LOVED our trip here.

DSC03520_zpsad301869.jpg

We spent about 2-3 hours at Saona. This is an interesting island. Pirates of the Caribbean was filmed on the other side of the island. The US had their eye on it, and so the Dominican Republic took 12 families and relocated them there. There is a school, grocery store, church and that's about it. No one is allowed to go where they live. From those 12 families, there are now 240 people there. They make their living from selling crafts and such to visitors such as we were.

I bought some Larimar from one of the local women. They had other trinkets and jewelry, but they only work with cash. Not pushy like the people in Punta Cana (where we waited for our speedboat boarding). They couldn't take no for an answer, but I never saw anyone in our group buy anything from them. A little kid was trying to wash out feet off with a spray bottle and then wanting to charge us a dollar. We told him to stop. Enterprising folks!

Anyway, I loved our SEAVIS tour. I want to take another one. They have several different tours; I was so impressed. I can't speak highly enough of them. WELL worth the money for the day. BEST excursion of the cruise.

DAY FIVE: CURACAO

Ah Curacao, how I wanted to love you... but after yesterday, there were big shoes to fill. We signed up with a group to do a tour. I can't say that I was thrilled with the tour. It was known as a "Peter" tour. We had a tour guide that only spoke if someone asked her a question. Really sub-par. And it took a LONG time. We got back after the shops were closed, so there was nothing to really see in town after we got back.

However, the good highlight of this tour was the Hato (HAH toe) Caves... this is a cave system that slaves used to run to and hide in to escape. But let me tell you, it was a cave sauna! WHEW it was HOT in there, but I am so glad I got to see them.

DSC03530_zps5c439fff.jpg

DSC03539_zps0c0d3067.jpg

Entrance to the caves:

DSC03540_zps6c4da052.jpg

DSC03541_zps1643a974.jpg

We had to go up 49 stairs--all irregular in the height and depth:

DSC03543_zps244f24a3.jpg

DSC03548_zps1228bcf7.jpg

I was on this cruise. We were some of the first to get into the terminal and were never told anything about why we were delayed. We chatted up a worker and he said the rear escalator was going to be open as well as the other, so we hung out right next to it. After the wedding party got on, it was a free for all to go up. There were a lot of people trapped in the vip lounge by others who were SUPPOSED to be using zone cards, but just shoved their way on. No screening was done, which was no big deal but since this was my sisters first platinum cruise, it stunk to be pushed by the ones who seemed to think they did not have to follow rules. I think the employees were afraid of a riot if they had tried to stop anyone. All during the week I saw guests who thought it was okay to stroll into the dining room 30 minutes late, and be as loud as possible in the buffet area. All that being said, I had a WONDERFUL time and booked my next one while onboard!!!

We also went to the Curacao plant/distillery. That was fun :)

I got some real Curacao. The stuff we get in the states isn't made in Curacao. It's made in Holland. I thought it was nice to get the real thing (which originated in the Spanish trying to get the Valencia orange to thrive in Curacao, but it didn't--but they got a great liqueur out of it)... and I got some chocolate liquer. YUM. That was a fun stop. But once again, we were rushed through and really didn't get a tour. Just hop up to the counter and buy.

There were decent points, but I was underwhelmed with this tour. I will so do something different the next time we visit Curacao.

DSC03565_zpsd76fed4d.jpg

DSC03567_zps3d6fcf1b.jpg

This is a statue erected by the Dutch queen, talking about the 3 islands (Aruba, B-something, and Curacao) how they are all separate but yet they stand together.

DSC03568_zpsd321783d.jpg

DSC03577_zps23a34099.jpg

Our friend for the evening:

DSC03581_zps4c7bbda2.jpg

Inside the Ivanhoe Theatre (hee hee):

DSC03582_zpsda7d75be.jpg

After we got back from Curacao, they had a deck party at 11. We finished watching the "Far from Over" show (don't miss it if they offer it--it's all 80's music and it was fabulous). So even though we were tired, and Aruba's call was early, we wanted to go and just "check it out"... My camera was set incorrectly, but wanted to share these with you...

DSC03586_zpsfbda9d76.jpg

Cupid shuffle--I can't resist, I had to get in on it:

DSC03587_zps8e5830a5.jpg

DSC03588_zps324ff282.jpg

DSC03594_zps3f7952fd.jpg

Our CD, Felipe:

DSC03598_zpsdd97980c.jpg

Assuming the "B" island was Bonaire? They are known as the ABC islands...I could be wrong, but pretty sure that was it. Keep it coming.....LOVING your review and pics!!!!:D:D

THANK YOU! Bonair! You are exactly right!!!

Thanks thanks thanks!

Thank you for sharing. I will be sailing on the Valor next May. This is my first Carnival cruise and Im loving your pictures!

I hope you have a blast on your cruise. We love Carnival--it's just a fun vibe. Hope you have a great time!

Your sunset pics are absolutely stunning! Next time you are in Curaçao, try to find an excursion that takes you on the "country tour". We did an HAL cruise last year and booked thru them, but I know there are private tour guides that do the same type of tour. Really amazing...and lots to see. Can't wait to see what you did in Aruba!

Thanks for sharing your cruise!

I love, love your blue ruched formal gown--GORGEOUS :D

You have some fabulous pictures, some of the sunsets and the last pic of the boat on the beach, just postcard perfection :)

Nice booty shot of your hubby looking out your stateroom window :eek: LOL

Really enjoying your review, anticipating the rest!

Thanks for sharing your cruise!

I love, love your blue ruched formal gown--GORGEOUS :D

You have some fabulous pictures, some of the sunsets and the last pic of the boat on the beach, just postcard perfection :)

Nice booty shot of your hubby looking out your stateroom window :eek: LOL

Really enjoying your review, anticipating the rest!

THANK YOU (re: dress)... I wanted that dress since April. It was too expensive so I kept watching it (at Macy's). One day it was FINALLY on sale... I can't tell you how many times I would go to Macy's just to try on that dress. So I got it for less than 1/2 price, so I was a very very happy camper.

:)

Our family (DW, DS, DS, DD and myself) four the Western Carribean over Thanksgiving. Your itinerary looks incredible and will have to try it sometime. Thanks for your efforts with the review/pictures. It has been a very pleasurable read! We too have reservations for the first night at the steakhouse. Any tips about the Valor in general?

Felipe will be my CD when I cruise on Valor in December. What did you think of him?

Well, it's nothing personal, but I didn't love him. I didn't dislike him either. I don't feel he added anything special to my cruise (but the only CD I've ever had that made my cruise experience BETTER was Butch and Baby Butch). He does inform over the loud speaker, he WAS visible and around the ship alot. I just didn't have a lot of interaction with him.

HOWEVER, having said that, if you are looking for a fabulous shopping professional, you do NOT want to get your hopes up about Brandon (if he is your personal shopper on your sailing). He was quite literally useless. I am not sure if he was new or just not invested in doing what he was supposed to, but he was very disappointing if you are in for that sort of thing.

I know you didn't ask specifically for information on him, but thought I should add that if there are people who like to work with a personal shopping expert on a ship. (Example: He said, and I quote, "If you are looking for a Movado watch, then X Jewelers is where you want to go." One of our friends on our ship was looking for a Movado watch and I told him this. He went and asked Brandon about it not 15 minutes later, and Brandon didn't remember that he said this! He read his presentation and had to continually flip back through his presentation when asked a question. Just not a good experience.)

Archived