What are your favorite Southeast Asia ports of call?

lovevacadays

The list is too extensive but here is a few.

Singapore. Lot to do, cleanliness, friendliness of people. Easy to get around

Thailand. Culture, Places to visit, people, cuisine, service, hotels, etc.

Vietnam. Much of the above and also to see how this country has re-invented itself.

Cambodia. Friendliness of people, some very interesting sites to tour.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Burma: I have been to all in S.E.A. and it's one out of the box. Like going back in time, the people and the culture, the food and the temples. Go now before it catches up with globalisation.

And of course Penang, where I live part of the time. People, food, UNESCO World Heritage city.

Edited by lahore

Hi, Lahore,

Glad to hear your recommendation @ Burma. I'll be there in Dec 2012 (1st time) on Swan Hellenic. It's been on my b list for a long time...hearing changes are occurring @ a rapid pace so glad to be going now b4......

The Banda Islands in Maluku Province, Indonesia are my all-time favourite

The islands around western Flores and the Komodo area in Indonesia

Cambodia is wonderful if touristy nowadays and best done as a land tour and beach areas are now coming on stream

Burma is wonderful and best done as a land tour

Luang Prabang in Laos is a great city to explore

I think Saigon more interesting/exciting than Singapore or Bangkok

• 8 months later...
Burma: I have been to all in S.E.A. and it's one out of the box. Like going back in time, the people and the culture, the food and the temples. Go now before it catches up with globalisation.

And of course Penang, where I live part of the time. People, food, UNESCO World Heritage city.

Can you recommend a private guide/ driver for a tour in Penang ? Since we will only be there for one day and do not enjoy ship tors...

Thanks

Karen

Sorry, I really can't. We have a car when we are there. Taxis are very, very cheap and plentiful and English is spoken by almost all. My advice would be to walk away from the cruise terminal and get a cab. The blue ones are more expensive but are metered, the red ones say 'meter will be used' on the side but they absolutely will not, so you have to negotiate. The blue ones are more aimed at tourists and very comfortable, so i'd just go for one of those for the day.

• 2 years later...
I would love to hear what places in Southeast Asia that you love and why. Perhaps some pointers and things you like to do while you are there.:)

In Port Klang now, great terminal with wifi yea! Our first conx in two weeks (Muscat on the street) no wifi or SIM cards in India! Klang far from KL, didn't go because we are coming back by car next week.

Georgetown, Penang very good, downtown near Little India. Good street food at Esplanade pavilion (shrimp 6 on right) delicious. Gorgeous town with free, very useful bus line, walk toward Esplanade and look for special FREE SHUTTLE signs.

Ok tar shopping center unusual but inexpensive SIM cards and tech stuff including plug converters for $14 if you need one because you are staying in SE Asia. Excellent st food, beautiful colonial buildings.

Agree with Singapore and Vietnam, both interesting and friendly countries. Also enjoy Thailand but we docked at Klong Loey (spelling??). It is much much closer to Bankgok than Laem Chebang.

Would also recommend Angkor Wat in Cambodia. We are so glad we did this tour. It is quite a site.

Didn't much care for Malaysia, however. Just wasn't impressed by what we did or saw.

We had never been to SE Asia before December last year and we enjoyed each port as it was very different to what we are used to. We didn't get to Nha Trang as it was too rough to tender. Think we will definitely cruise SE Asia again as there is so much more to see, and we won't be so overwhelmed by the poverty.

I have since been to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) and if you have a chance to spend a few days there, go the extra mile as it is so worth it!