Help with FT. Lauderdale

Bostonactor

Just booked, last minute, 10 days on the Legend Jan. 16 out of Ft. Lauderdale. Our first time on a "little sister." We sailed the Odyssey last May 14 days and loved it. Couldn't wait to book again. So here we are.

We will arrive Ft. Lauderdale 2 days early (no knowing about weather in Jan.) and have absolutely no idea what might be the best place to stay within reasonable distance to port and nice/interesting places to walk around. Would like a few good restaurant suggestions as well. Grateful for suggestions.

Hello Bostonactor.

We are also on the cruise on the 16th on the Legend. This being our third time on Seabourn and loving it. We have done the small Sisters only, sofar!

Could do with advice on nice gourmet restaurants in Fort Lauderdale. Will be arriving three days before the cruise.

Peter

We usually stay at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 on 17th St. I recommend a tower room which could give you a good view of the port. It is very close to the port. Grill 66 restaurant on site is very good as well. Try to get a waterfront table that Jethro serves. The water taxi stops at Pier 66 often and is a great way to get around Ft. Lauderdale.

You never know what the weather in January will be like in Florida. It could range from warm to even cold. Best to check the internet a few days before the cruise to get a better idea on the weather.

As to hotel, I would check out the hotel recommendations on the Florida Departures Board.

I would actually recommend the Embassy Suites for two days. It is in much closer proximity to shops and restaurants and they do a nice job.

One that will have a nice beach is the Harbor Beach Marriott.

Keith

I'm looking at all hotels suggested so far. This could take a while.

I also looked at the destination thread and most restaurants in FLL seem to be of the chain or pizza/BBQ variety. I'm not a food snob, more of I-like-a-nice-atmosphere snob. Where do Seabournians dine?

I also looked at the destination thread and most restaurants in FLL seem to be of the chain or pizza/BBQ variety. I'm not a food snob, more of I-like-a-nice-atmosphere snob. Where do Seabournians dine?

Ok if you want something more upscale try http://www.johnnyvlasolas.com/ or http://www.canyonfl.com/ or http://www.yolorestaurant.com/2/ or http://www.wildeastbistro.com/

Since we live here we have been to these. If you need something in particular let us know

Grill 66. On the waterway at the 17th St. Causeway bridge. Be sure to ask for Jethro. :D

I'm not a fan of Johnny V's... too much of a scene for me, personally... I do really like Coco Asian Bistro for sushi and Thai, and it is right off 17th Street.

A little further north, Cafe Seville on Oakland Park Blvd is very good, although it has been a while since i have been there.

We usually stay at the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 on 17th St. I recommend a tower room which could give you a good view of the port. It is very close to the port. Grill 66 restaurant on site is very good as well. Try to get a waterfront table that Jethro serves. The water taxi stops at Pier 66 often and is a great way to get around Ft. Lauderdale.

Agree totally with Jim's choice---nice hotel---Grill 66 restaurant was excellent.

And close to the port--->easy cab ride.

-Barry

Pier 66 is very nice and so is Stella Mar (which is more of a boutique). The Ritz also is very nice, although I'm not a fan of its pool deck.

Grille 66 is excellent, but this past year, they started adding a gratuity at random. Needless to say, I was not pleased about that and let the manager know, in no uncertain terms, never to do that to me ever again.

The Ritz has a nice restaurant (Italian), albeit the selections are limited.

After your all the replies I thought I should give you the result: we are staying at the Hilton on the Beach (we like to walk miles and that boardwalk across the street looks so inviting) and while we're at it, right smack in the midst of Sandy, we are booking ANOTHER cruise: next November on the Quest, Rio to Buenos Aires. From there we will fly to Bariloche to spend a few days hiking in the lake district. I am finding Seabourn to be addictive.

Looking forward to sampling some of the restaurants so kindly suggested.

Hye .. joining this discussion a little late BUT .. Hilton on the Beach at Fort Lauderdale is an excellent choice .. stayed there 3 times and not dissappointed .. you might also look at the Galleria for some decent looking restaurants .. friends of ours who live locally certainly dine there regularly .. have a great cruise ..

I also looked at the destination thread and most restaurants in FLL seem to be of the chain or pizza/BBQ variety. I'm not a food snob, more of I-like-a-nice-atmosphere snob. Where do Seabournians dine?[/quoteSir, we have been to two hotels in Fort Lauderdale, the Ritz-Carleton, and the Hyatt Regency Pier 66. There are pluses and minuses for both, and if you check TripAdvisor you will get a sense of the experience you can expect at each. FLL has some good restaurants--we're from New york, and just came back from eating our way through London and Dublin--but everything is comparative. One place that you won't find in any of the aforementioned cities is: Eduardo de San Angel, 2822 East Commercial Blvd.954-772-4731.High end Mexican fare --you might think the preceding an oxymoron, but you won't after you dine here. That's dine, not eat. Smooth, gracious service, and a kind of Mexican cuisine that is eclectic, but satisfying. Not cheap, but worth every penny. Reservations a must. as the place is small (cozy?) but --according to my wife--nonetheless romantic.Pizza? Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza, 2203 South Federal highway. Yes,pizza is a distainable item. but this pizza is first class. Coconuts Waterside Grill 429 Seabreeze Blvd.,is great for lunch. Any leftovers you can feed to the pelicans (if its fish) or the tarpon that throng alongside the dock. Also nice for a sunset cocktail. Asia

Bay,1111 East Las Olas Blvd. is a find. Really good Thai food. Definitely not simply a tourist restaurant. Try the Beef Masman.Finally, here's a place many love, and some find disappointing. Billy's Stone Crab,400 North Ocean drive, Hollywood--which is the next town south of FLL. Fish is the thing here. On our two occasions, the first experience was good, the second fell really short. Try to reserve a table outside; you're right on the intracoastal. and maybe you'll see (or hear) a manatee. Splendid location if you are outside, otherwise recommended with reservations, no pun intended.

Archived