RCI comments on Hurricane Sandy

Like most folks, I am a bit more worried about flying in than sailing out. I am flying from Memphis due into Fort Lauderdale around noon on Saturday.

As far as the actual cruise, as long as we sail I am happy. I have been to all of the ports so it doesnt matter to me. We can sail around in circles for 7 days and I will not complain. This is the first cruise that I havent prebooked any excursions through private companies, so no worries there either.

I like adventure so I kind of like the surprise factor of maybe going somewhere totally unexpected. (sure hope those words dont come back to bite me!) :eek:

I'm with you! they can do circles in the water or stand still for 7 days!! I'm cool!!

We are a group of four scheduled on the Explorer on Sunday as well. Needless to say, with all the media hype, we are being told by our families that we are foolish to get on the ship. I am kicking myself for not getting the insurance.....I so wanted to see Bermuda, but at this point, it seems like we may just float around in the Atlantic for most of the week. Any advice??:confused:

We are a group of four scheduled on the Explorer on Sunday as well. Needless to say, with all the media hype, we are being told by our families that we are foolish to get on the ship. I am kicking myself for not getting the insurance.....I so wanted to see Bermuda, but at this point, it seems like we may just float around in the Atlantic for most of the week. Any advice??:confused:

Yes...get on the ship just like we will be and hunker down for a possible adventure. The cruiseline will not put us in danger.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I hafta believe the cruiseline will do what's best for all concerned. Just makes us a tad on edge!

The captain will do everything to keep everyone safe, so no worries! Just take alot of Bonine with you and take a ton of videos for us! I'd love to be on Explorer heading out into the fun!

It would not surprise me if they do exactly what they are doing with Enchantment and Monarch right now.

The offer is: Stay on board and go nowhere - the captain will sail out and find a calm spot somewhere. No ports. Nice OBC for each cabin.

OR

Cancel and get a full refund.

It would not surprise me if they do exactly what they are doing with Enchantment and Monarch right now.

The offer is: Stay on board and go nowhere - the captain will sail out and find a calm spot somewhere. No ports. Nice OBC for each cabin.

OR

Cancel and get a full refund.

We are driving down to CT to overnight at my Son's house tonight. He is going to drive us to the port tomorrow morning to board the Explorer. My DW was a little leery of leaving the car in the port parking lot with the potential of storm surge covering the car... :eek: I am glad we had an option.

I just looked at the Wave Forecast web site again and it is still calling for 15 meter waves SE of Long Island on the 29th. RCL most likely will not want to sail into that and they probably would not want to sail south directly into the storm. For those reasons, I suspect that they will make the same offer of canceling or a OBC. If given a choice, I would kind of like to see BIG waves, but my DW is saying CANCEL.... :)

We are driving down to CT to overnight at my Son's house tonight. He is going to drive us to the port tomorrow morning to board the Explorer. My DW was a little leery of leaving the car in the port parking lot with the potential of storm surge covering the car... :eek: I am glad we had an option.

I just looked at the Wave Forecast web site again and it is still calling for 15 meter waves SE of Long Island on the 29th. RCL most likely will not want to sail into that and they probably would not want to sail south directly into the storm. For those reasons, I suspect that they will make the same offer of canceling or a OBC. If given a choice, I would kind of like to see BIG waves, but my DW is saying CANCEL.... :)

We were originally going to drive to the port but with the impending possibility of port flooding we have arranged the bus transportation through Royal Caribbean. It just gives is a bit more peace of mind to enjoy the cruise.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two years ago we had a hurricane chase us all the way to Bermuda. We didn't know if we were going out of Boston to Canada or going to Bermuda. We were just fine, but left Bermuda 3 hours early because another hurricane chased us all the way back to Boston. It just adds to the excitement and I would do it again. Very memorable; they will not put you in harm's way, so go with the flow, take your Bonine and have a great cruise.

We were originally going to drive to the port but with the impending possibility of port flooding we have arranged the bus transportation through Royal Caribbean. It just gives is a bit more peace of mind to enjoy the cruise.

Douglas, what's their bus service that you're using?

Douglas, what's their bus service that you're using?

I had a friend take this same cruise a week ago and they used this bus service and highly recommended it. We are in central PA and it is a service coordinated by RC but provided by ENT Tours that runs from Harrisburg to Lancaster to Reading to the port. It is $100pp, but when we consider the fee for parking at the port and the gas (not to mention the peace if mind) it is well worth it.

Since we live on the West coast, I can't imagine what it is like for those of you on the East coast to deal with those winds for 24 hours, flooding year after year. Many wonder how we deal with earthquakes, well we don't encounter them on a daily basis, they are here and gone in seconds. The larger destructive ones will occur maybe every 40 + years. Anywhere in this country, mother nature will throw something at us and for many it is a big deal and we should be prepared. For all of you planning on traveling, please be safe from this hurricane.

Tropical Weather Update

October 27, 2012

10:00 a.m. E.S.T

Royal Caribbean International continues to closely monitor the path and progress of Hurricane Sandy to ensure guests enjoy safe and comfortable cruises, and to make certain our ships steer clear of the storm.* The safety of our guests and crew is always our foremost concern.

Monarch of the Seas

Due to high winds caused by Hurricane Sandy, Monarch of the Seas' departure from Port Canaveral, Florida, continues to be delayed.* Unfortunately, due to the delayed departure, and the time and speed needed, the ship will be unable to call on Freeport, Bahamas.* Also, because of our need to prepare CocoCay, Bahamas, for the weather impact, Monarch of the Seas will not call on CocoCay.* *Once the ship is able to depart Port Canaveral, it will head out to calm waters.

Enchantment of the Seas

Enchantment of the Seas will be unable to call on Kings Wharf, Bermuda, as originally scheduled.* Instead, the ship sailed out to sea in an effort to try to find the calmest seas possible.

Jewel of the Seas

Given Hurricane Sandy's current location and projected path, it is likely that Jewel of the Seas' itinerary will be impacted. We will continue to monitor the storm and provide guests sailing on Jewel of the Seas this Sunday, October 28, with additional information on their itinerary once the board the ship tomorrow.

Explorer of the Seas

We encourage guests sailing on Explorer of the Seas on Sunday, October 28, continue to monitor this website for any additional updates.*

If you have not done so already, we strongly suggest guests complete their online check-in as soon as possible, including the section on your preferred method of contact while traveling.* You can access online check-in at http://www.royalcaribbean.com/onlinecheckin

Royal Caribbean will continue to closely monitor weather conditions and will update this information again tomorrow, October 28, at 10:00 a.m. E.S.T.

Archived