Booking cruise from Sydney via US travel agent...

I know this has been discussed on quite a few occasions but I've just checked out prices for a cruise we're keen to do next year (with RCI) and it's around $500 per person cheaper on several U.S. travel agent sites (plus a little more with the current exchange rate).

The cruise is from Sydney but this is a huge saving! Just wondering if anyone has ever booked with a U.S. agent and did you have any problems doing so?

I know this has been discussed on quite a few occasions but I've just checked out prices for a cruise we're keen to do next year (with RCI) and it's around $500 per person cheaper on several U.S. travel agent sites (plus a little more with the current exchange rate).

The cruise is from Sydney but this is a huge saving! Just wondering if anyone has ever booked with a U.S. agent and did you have any problems doing so?

Yes and no problems whatsoever.

I agree with all of the above. So long as you are honest and tell them you are an Aussie and use your Aussie Passport there are no problems.

I totally agree with the cancellation fees being less in fact with my Agent I get a total refund up until the final payment date with no charges. I also get more OBC than any agent in Australia gives me.

Good luck!

We booked through a US TA for the first time this year - in August she advised that RCCL were 'disallowing them from booking non-North American citizens unless they had an American residential address'. We were told to use an American address for online check-in to circumvent any problems but state that we were Australian and using Australian passports. I have to admit I am nervous that we may face issues when we come to board in November - fingers crossed that we dont :( but going off the previous replies it seems that it should be ok - touch wood!!!

We booked through a US TA for the first time this year - in August she advised that RCCL were 'disallowing them from booking non-North American citizens unless they had an American residential address'. We were told to use an American address for online check-in to circumvent any problems but state that we were Australian and using Australian passports. I have to admit I am nervous that we may face issues when we come to board in November - fingers crossed that we dont :( but going off the previous replies it seems that it should be ok - touch wood!!!

i book through us with an australian address etc

but i am the us ta

this gets me past the rules of rccl of us residency

and it now is residency not just address

but that is the ta issue

not for you to worry about

just be honest

cheers

Greg

There are only a few lines that do not allow Australians to book at US prices...even those will book you, just not at the same price. It is not illegal to book through the US...google and you will find any number of agencies. The only issue is to ALWAYS have travel insurance since the US rules are not the same as here regarding agents going bust...if you deal with a large company you will be absolutely fine.

Sue

I wouldn't worry.

Bookings on RCCL didn't used to be allowed, but is now.

There are only a few lines that do not allow Australians to book at US prices...even those will book you, just not at the same price. It is not illegal to book through the US...google and you will find any number of agencies. The only issue is to ALWAYS have travel insurance since the US rules are not the same as here regarding agents going bust...if you deal with a large company you will be absolutely fine.

Sue

Check whether the US TA pays the money direct to the Cruise Line.

I booked a princess European cruise with a European TA because of savings of about $1000. I rang princess this week about visa issues and told them about the booking and they said it was fine. The only issue is that the TA can't really help me with visas and princess don't help Aussies with visas so will need to organise those on my own. Even though I'd advised the TA of my credit card it was actually princess who took the deposit.

I booked a princess European cruise with a European TA because of savings of about $1000. I rang princess this week about visa issues and told them about the booking and they said it was fine. The only issue is that the TA can't really help me with visas and princess don't help Aussies with visas so will need to organise those on my own. Even though I'd advised the TA of my credit card it was actually princess who took the deposit.

You may find you don't need European visas. If you're not sure, just contact the relevant consulate.

The following is an alphabetical list -

http://protocol.dfat.gov.au/Mission/list.rails

My payments through overseas TAs have all been paid directly to the cruiseline also.

Our Solstice cruise is booked through a US agent with a huge saving and $1200 OBC. Someone ran a thread sometime ago about which lines can be booked through US agents and I remember that you can't with Princess or HAL. I know of numerous people on CC who use US agents with no problems.

Cheers

Di

You may find you don't need European visas. If you're not sure, just contact the relevant consulate.

The following is an alphabetical list -

http://protocol.dfat.gov.au/Mission/list.rails

My payments through overseas TAs have all been paid directly to the cruiseline also.

I'm travelling to Egypt and Israel, so the Egypt port stop (and likely overnight tour) is the one that is causing the issue. We will already have been to Turkey so getting a multi entry one for that one OK, but Egypt is the one Princess won't touch for Aussies.

We are also passing through Dubai on the way back so have to get a loose leaf Israel visa on arrival.

I'm travelling to Egypt and Israel, so the Egypt port stop (and likely overnight tour) is the one that is causing the issue. We will already have been to Turkey so getting a multi entry one for that one OK, but Egypt is the one Princess won't touch for Aussies.

We are also passing through Dubai on the way back so have to get a loose leaf Israel visa on arrival.

On my last trip to Egypt we were given the visa at the airport so perhaps there is a way to get this at the port google the details and check.

Archived