First experience with Norwegian Sales Personnel

Tyhunt

Let me start by saying my wife and I are avid cruisers and have never set foot on a Norwegian ship but were looking to try different lines and have new experiences cruising. Though we have never posted on cruise critic we are regular readers.

We visited Norwegians web site last night to look for cruises for next year, filed out the personal information and just got off the phone with one of their representatives. The return call was quick which was good. That is where the good feeling about this cruise line ended.

From the start this agent slammed the other lines we had cruised and proceeded to tell me what we needed to do to make a better trip. Challenged my integrity as to what he was offering and what offers I had received from other cruise lines. BTW he requested the information about other lines rates and offers. At this point in the conversation I informed him that I was not appreciative of his condescending attitude. He then became apologetic and then proceeded to continue to tell me what I needed rather than address the questions I had. He also stated that Norwegian catered to a "Higher Class" of cruiser that was willing to spend more for their enjoyment. What he accomplished was to paint a picture of a ship full of snobs, which I am sure is not the case.

My next step was to do something that I almost never do, look for an e-mail address or other contact information to let Norwegian know about my experience. I found that this was not so easy to do either. I did find the number to their corporate offices and did register a complaint.

So in a nut shell, If this is conducive of the type of of attitude of this cruise lines employees it is safe to say that they will get none of my cruising dollars. To bad for the line, the experience and impressions of the first contact is so important that maybe they need to review their training.

Thought I would share this experience as we as customers DO NOT have to put up with this type of treatment.

I'm so sorry to hear that you had that experience with one of their vacation planners (or whatever NCL calls them).

I've found that behavior similar among many lines (unfortunately). Definitely not an excuse and truly irritating.

I now work with a TA that specializes in cruises to avoid this.

Sounds like you got one really pushy salesperson that doesn't do the rest of the NCL employees any justice by behaving that way. From our experiences, the on-board personnel in no way behave like that person did.

A good PCC is great, unfortunately not all are helpful and do a good job. I recommend a travel agent, but if you are the type that really want to do your own work and deal with the cruise line directily, try another agent...I know some people like to do their own thing, by using online agencies, to me that is the last resort...

I've been kind of torn about the travel agent vs booking through NCL thing to be honest. For the Pacific Coastal I want to go on next September, I was thinking more about doing it myself through NCL as I'm kind of getting the hang of things and more familiar with cruising in general. I used a travel agent for the my first two. The ONLY thing I don't like about that is that I can't contact NCL directly about anything, including making my final payment. It would be handy to have a travel agent's help with flights though. :cool:

I like the idea of someone from NCL being there to answer any questions I have, but I don't want a "salesperson" attitude and travel agents are neutral and unbiased, mine is anyway.

Can you choose your PCC or switch to one that is recommended if you've already got one? I was assigned one (Fred somebody) when I was inquiring about my Hawaiian cruise but I ended up going through the travel agent.

Does anyone know if these people work directly for NCL? I got the feeling that the guy I talked to didn't actually work there, as he gave me his cell phone number for any follow-up. I didn't care for him, especially after he told me to go ahead and book an "accessible" cabin because it was larger. Then he told me he would call me back in three days. I told him not to bother, as I wouldn't know any more in three days. He still called. The guy was really irritating.

I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience with an NCL employee. I also want to thank you for lodging a complaint. That gives NCL an opportunity to correct the issue. We have always used a TA to book our cruises, so I've not had any experience with NCL's PCCs. However, I can assure you that the personnel on the ship are amazing! We have found them to be very friendly, helpful, and quick to respond to all our requests and questions. They treated us very personally and truly pampered us. The Captain & officers were tremendously friendly, personable and made themselves quite available to the passengers. I sure hope you decide to give NCL another try. I'm sure your onboard experience will be wonderful!

We have always used online TA's and I have narrowed it down to two that I go back to - depending on the OBC they are offering at the time - to book our cruises - and I do have someone at each agency that I can talk with. they do a wonderful job of customer service.

Recently I was at work and contacted NCL directly when I had a question regarding a studio cabin for my mother. The agent asked for my contact info and I explained that I had already booked the cruise through a TA and was only inquiring for my mother. She was very nice, gave me the info I needed and that was that. Or so I thought. The next day, at work, I get a call from an NCL rep trying to sell a cruise to me - they obviously got my number through caller ID and called back even though I specifically said I was not interested. I was very polite, and explained that I already had 4 cruises booked with NCL and that I always worked with my favorite TA. No more calls... so far. I can imagine if this had been my first experience, I might have been put off of NCL. I hate, hate, hate pushy sales people.

I am sure you get all kinds when you are dealing with PCC's or TA's - you just have to keep looking until you find the person that works for you.

My experience with NCL is that is a well run company (yeah Kevin Sheehan), with a fun, no snobby attitude, with wonderful crews and good times - please don't let one pushy person sour you on the whole cruiseline.

I know that RCCL built a call center about 70mi south of me so it is very possible that NCL also has their own people too. They could have also contracted with another firm to provide the call center service - this should be transparent to the end user. That said, a call center rep would not give out his cell phone number - this guy is working mostly on commission.

I talked to them about a possible job - but at that time the pay was just above minimium wage and the balance of their compensation was made on commissions obtained by upselling the prospects as much as possible - including pre purchased shore excursions and even catagory upgrades.

I do not like dealing with salespeople who badmouth the competition - or who over inflate their own product. IMHO the product should be able to practically sell itself and the salesperson simply be a consultant to the customer - asking questions and developing a solution that fits the customer's needs and wants. As a sales professional myself, this is how I treat my customers.

This is why I still like to use my local travel agent who knows what I like and don't like in my cruises.

I can assure the OP that NCL cruises are not full of snobs, and not every employee of the line is annoying and pushy. I'm sure these reps are incentivized to sell, and unfortunately many of them have methods that don't necessarily match up with what we want. I find this across any industry.

I will tell you, however, that the personnel on the ships, which are the ones that count, are truly top notch. My experience across the lines keeps me coming back to NCL now. I hope you don't let one individual ruin what could be an outstanding vacation with NCL

FYI, I always book my trips through a TA associated with a big box retailer (that will remain nameless due to CC rules). The agents are on salary, not commission (although they do have contests). I have found them to be very open, helpful and non-pushy.

It is a shame OP's first impression of NCL was pushy and aggressive. In all actuality, NCL's Freeystyle Concept creates an opposite environment. The dress up, or not, eat whenever, no clock no worries atmosphere creates a very laid back, friendly and happy vibe throughout the ship. Hopefully, OP will check into NCL further and give them a second chance. Everyone deserves a second chance! :D

Hmmmm...first time NCL-er...

PCC suggests some things to make his trip better.....don't see any harm in that.

I'd be curious what was said that challenged the OP's integrity. And, I've had plenty of PCCs ask me what/who I planned on cruising with to give me an apples to apples ship/cabin category to make an informed decision.

Strange post by the OP.

I sometimes use my PCC, and sometimes go thru a TA. It truly all depends on the OBC at the time. However, my PCC has never been pushy, never even attempted to sell me a cabin cat higher than what I have asked for, and has always answered my questions without trying to push any kind of sale on me. Maybe you can ask for a different PCC to speak with?

Hmm... this thread has given me an idea (or two).

As everyone says, the crew on board NCL ships are great.

1. NCL should offer crew members that are eitehr past their contracts and are not interested in renewing their contract to sail again, or are taking time off between contracts to be PCCs. They already know all about life on-board the ships and how to treat customers. I know most of the crew is international, but so are the call centers for many industries these days.

and/or

2. Use the staff that trains the crew members what great customer service is to also train any PCC that is need of such training.

What do you think? Should NCL look into this?

I can assure the OP that NCL cruises are not full of snobs, .

The funny thing about this, is that 75% of the time, we're fighting the idea that NCL is the Walmart of cruising.... :rolleyes:

*Not-a-snob, and proud of it!*:p

Stephen

I had a similar experience with an NCL rep a little over a year ago when I was searching for a cruise. I ended up booking with Carnival. My rep at carnival was awesome. The NCL rep was really pushy. Now looking to try NCL for the first time. Haven't booked yet but will probablt just book online without a rep. I hate dealing with TA's because you have to go thru too many channels to get things done. I prefer to go direct.

While I'm sorry that the OP's first impression wasn't a positive one, I do find it rather ironic that there are TA's out there who trash NCL. I've had one do that exact thing with me - I moved on quickly.

Thankfully, I've always been the type to make up my own mind otherwise I would have missed out on my first (but most definitely not my last) cruise with a great line:D

Archived