Dressing for Brazil

Palmetto Lady

We have five ports in Brazil including Rio. Any suggestions for what to wear so I do not shout "Tourist". Do women usually wear skirts or pants?

(No I do not carry a "fanny pack" or wear white sneakers or any sneakers period)

Lots of women wear dresses and lots wear shorts and jeans . Dress is very casual and Brazilians tend to show some "skin" as it is quite hot!

Lots of sleeveless ( even for women who don´t have perfectly toned arms!) , colorful blouse , fun jewelry. Just don´t wear your real "bling" in port!

You´ll see lots of shorts , flip flops , even in restaurants , unless you are going to a very upscale place ( although for lunch people are casual).

No nos- big white tennies , socks , shapeless logo tees , and fanny packs .Sounds like you already know that! Most Brazilians don´t wear hats unless at the beach.

have fun!

Kim

Lots of women wear dresses and lots wear shorts and jeans . Dress is very casual and Brazilians tend to show some "skin" as it is quite hot!

Lots of sleeveless ( even for women who don´t have perfectly toned arms!) , colorful blouse , fun jewelry. Just don´t wear your real "bling" in port!

You´ll see lots of shorts , flip flops , even in restaurants , unless you are going to a very upscale place ( although for lunch people are casual).

No nos- big white tennies , socks , shapeless logo tees , and fanny packs .Sounds like you already know that! Most Brazilians don´t wear hats unless at the beach.

have fun!

Kim

Thanks Kim

Although since I am 80 years old and even though I'm told I don't look it, I don't know how much skin I want to show.

There is no way to NOT look like the tourist that you are. Locals won't be going to the sightseeing places you will!

True, but when we are walking around on our own and stopping for lunch or dinner, I don't want a sign on my back screaming "TOURIST" if I can help it.

Thanks Kim

Although since I am 80 years old and even though I'm told I don't look it, I don't know how much skin I want to show.

One nice thing about Brazil is that ladies of all ages dress for the hot weather ( sleeveless , shorts , bikinis , etc :D ) and nobody bats an eye. the beach here is very interesting , people of all ages , shapes and forms dress as they please .

I´d suggest a light dress (I wear them a lot in the summer) , capris and and a cool blouse , or something of the sort. Light colors are more refreshing in our humidity.

One important consideration: The streets in many of the towns here such as Parati ( lovely!) are cobblestone and very uneven. Wear sturdy sandals or shoes with good footing .

If you have any further questions or need any touring advice , I´d be glad to help. Have a wonderful trip.

True, but when we are walking around on our own and stopping for lunch or dinner, I don't want a sign on my back screaming "TOURIST" if I can help it.

Are you fluent in Portuguese? Even if you manage somehow to look like a Brazilian, as soon as you speak, locals will know you are a tourist...unless, of course, you speak perfect Brazilian Portuguese (as opposed to the Portuguese of Portugal.)

are you fluent in portuguese? Even if you manage somehow to look like a brazilian, as soon as you speak, locals will know you are a tourist...unless, of course, you speak perfect brazilian portuguese (as opposed to the portuguese of portugal.)

duh!

I'm not sure why your response was, "Duh." I used to live in Brazil. It is hard for North Americans who have never been to Brazil before to try to look like Brazilians and not like tourists.

My advice is to relax, dress comfortably for the climate and not make a special effort to not look like a tourist. Just be careful about wearing valuable jewelry or watches, be careful about your handbag or wallet and be alert to those around you.

I hope you like Brazil as much as I did. The people are very friendly. The country is absolutely beautiful. I hope you can get up to Corcovado. The scenery is awesome.

The food is delicious. A caveat:If you sit at a sidewalk cafe, watch your belongings.

Brazilian music is wonderful. There are many different styles. Hopefully you will be able to hear a samba school practicing even if it is far off in the distance.

I hope you can visit Portugal one day too.

When you return, I would love to hear how you liked your visit and if you have any photos, please post them.

I wrote "Duh" because of course I realize that when I opened my mouth that everyone would know that I am not a local. We are not novice travelers and have traveled the equivalent of around the the world. I guess my original question was because I don't care to draw attention to myself by the way I dress.

Where we live, we are pretty sure that people who are wearing shorts in the winter are tourists. If they are wearing socks with sandals, they are likely from Europe.

Archived