Cancelled Cruise?

Tripper10

If a cruise was cancelled due to weather, would you be refunded your fare or would you need travel insurance to get refunded?

We never had a cruise cancelled due to weather. We did have two that were rerouted to a different itinerary (western carib vs eastern carib) or missed ports due to weather but never cancelled.

I doubt your cruise would be cancelled for weather. They might change the itinerary to sail around a hurricane or tropical storm, but the cruise would usually still sail.

The cruises I have heard of being cancelled totally were if the ship is chartered or has a major mechanical problem.

I would think if the cruiseline totally cancels the cruise, they would have to refund the monies paid. However, I have heard that they sometimes try to get folks to accept another cruise instead.

I doubt your cruise would be cancelled for weather. They might change the itinerary to sail around a hurricane or tropical storm, but the cruise would usually still sail.

The cruises I have heard of being cancelled totally were if the ship is chartered or has a major mechanical problem.

I would think if the cruiseline totally cancels the cruise, they would have to refund the monies paid. However, I have heard that they sometimes try to get folks to accept another cruise instead.

I dont know what cruise the OP is sailing, but I'm on a 4 day Bermuda cruise out of NY this Sat & now thanks to Sandy it doesn't look like there's anywhere for us to go. South, north or nowhere we'll still be in her path; so happens now?

T.T.

It's extremely rare for a cruise to be canceled due to weather. Actually, I've never heard of one canceled due to weather, earthquakes, etc. What can happen is the itinerary can be changed, the ship's arrival and/or departure can be changed to another day, port, etc.

The bottom line is that the ship will sail, with or without you. The cruise line will not refund your money if you're unable to make it. That's what insurance is for. If the cruise is shortened, you'll receive a refund or OBC of some sort.

It's extremely rare for a cruise to be canceled due to weather. Actually, I've never heard of one canceled due to weather, earthquakes, etc. What can happen is the itinerary can be changed, the ship's arrival and/or departure can be changed to another day, port, etc.

The bottom line is that the ship will sail, with or without you. The cruise line will not refund your money if you're unable to make it. That's what insurance is for. If the cruise is shortened, you'll receive a refund or OBC of some sort.

We were booked on a 7 night Disney cruise on the Magic, it could not get back to Port Canaveral but eventually got to FLL, we boarded there but our 7 night cruise became a 4 night. The Disney Wonder that was doing the 3 and 4 night runs was cancelled due to the storm. So I guess it does happen but very very far and few between.

I too am on the 4 day cruise to Bermuda this coming Saturday, and I started packing a lot of sweatshirts in the hope that we can at least go to Canada. Since I booked through a TA, if the cruise were to cancel (hope not!) would I be refunded everything but the deposit and taxes?

I'm afraid an itinerary change is not really an option, but still hopeful we can set sail to Bermuda. It looks we could make it there fine, but would hit Sandy on the way back; my thought would be to stay an extra day but EVERYONE on the 10 day repo following us thinks they will cancel ours because the CB must get back to FLL. Again I feel if we get an extra day, they lose a day & will still make it back to FLL in time. But since I'm not the captian or a meteorologist what do I know:confused:

I just wanna get away!!

would be to stay an extra day but EVERYONE on the 10 day repo following us thinks they will cancel ours because the CB must get back to FLL. Again I feel if we get an extra day, they lose a day & will still make it back to FLL in time. But since I'm not the captian or a meteorologist what do I know:confused:I just wanna get away!!

You are probably correct, if the storm surge in NY will prevent docking we will stay an extra day at sea and the repo cruise will lose a day. Hurricane Irene last year the storm surge prevented morning dockings but by Noon ships could dock.

Carnival did that when they couldn't get into Galveston and I think Miami once.

They will not cancel the cruise, leave early as done in Porto Rico (not that we need to leave early Saturday) canceling would cost too much.

They could send us to Baltimore the next closest port but more likely we stay at sea an extra day. In any case it will be rough sailing on the way back from Bermuda no matter when we come back.

17+ years selling cruises and I never heard of a cruise line canceling a cruise due to weather. Delayed sailing/arrival, itinerary changes , extra sea days , ect.. Yes.

If that should happen , and a cruise line cancels a cruise for any reason , you receive a complete refund and perhaps something towards a future cruise . Doesn't matter how you booked it.

December 2010 we were due to fly from London Heathrow to Rio to join the Star Princess. We had heavy snowfall the day before we were due to fly and Heathrow was shut down. We phoned Princess (who had arranged the flights) and they stated there was no way they could get us to the ship. Our holiday was cancelled and we received a complete refund.

I was on the 10 repo cruise last year and we were delayed departing NY by one day due to the freak snow storm. Because we were delayed, we missed going to San Juan. Now this year we are booked again on the 10 day repo cruise. Definitely hoping this is not going to be a repeat of last year. Wish us luck! LOL.

If they delay (by a day) the Oct. 31 10 day repositioning cruise on the CP, does Princess do anything about hotels in New York for your first night?

I would imagine not, but I'm wondering if we are able to fly into LGA on Wednesday and then the ship is not there, where will we go?

I have checked the Princess website and as of right now, they have nothing about the storm.

This could be quite a mess!! I just hope we make it onboard eventually!!

If they delay (by a day) the Oct. 31 10 day repositioning cruise on the CP, does Princess do anything about hotels in New York for your first night?

I would imagine not, but I'm wondering if we are able to fly into LGA on Wednesday and then the ship is not there, where will we go?

I have checked the Princess website and as of right now, they have nothing about the storm.

This could be quite a mess!! I just hope we make it onboard eventually!!

We are on the same cruise. IF the storm goes as predicted, all the airports will be closed. We won't be able to fly in on Wednesday. If by some chance we were able to fly in.....you would just spend the night at the airport as I am betting there won't be a hotel room to be found. Princess would do nothing in regard to a hotel. If you have travel insurance, you would be able to claim a night on that. But as I said...there won't be any avaiable hotel rooms, I fear

Good luck on getting to the port. We have pretty much resigned ourselves as to not being able to go.

We are on the same cruise. IF the storm goes as predicted, all the airports will be closed. We won't be able to fly in on Wednesday. If by some chance we were able to fly in.....you would just spend the night at the airport as I am betting there won't be a hotel room to be found. Princess would do nothing in regard to a hotel. If you have travel insurance, you would be able to claim a night on that. But as I said...there won't be any avaiable hotel rooms, I fear

Good luck on getting to the port. We have pretty much resigned ourselves as to not being able to go.

I'm not ready to give up yet...I'm hoping if we can't fly into New York on Wednesday, that the ship won't be able to get in either & we will be able to get there on Thursday & board!!! But I guess, it would be a long shot since there would be lots of people looking to rebook flights that were cancelled.

We're arriving Sunday and staying in the city so we're ready when Princess says "get on the ship". One of us is flying in early (ungodly early) Tuesday morning.

We're of the mindset that this just adds to the adventure. Here's hoping we all stay safe, travel in to NYC safely, and have an amazing cruise!

17+ years selling cruises and I never heard of a cruise line canceling a cruise due to weather. Delayed sailing/arrival, itinerary changes , extra sea days , ect.. Yes.

If that should happen , and a cruise line cancels a cruise for any reason , you receive a complete refund and perhaps something towards a future cruise . Doesn't matter how you booked it.

It happened to my parents back in the 80's. They got all the way to FLL from SFO and the cruise was cancelled, so they got to spend a week with us in the Denver area instead while travelling back.

I'm on the 4 nt Bermuda..... I never even thought of them extending the cruise a day, now that would be awesome (for me, not the next cruisers). its a waiting game til tomorrow....... i hate not knowing. but as other posters have stated, there is NO alternate route to have us go, the storm is going to be surrounding the port... well, im acting as if we are sailing, if not, oh well, and if so, i'll be ready.

As long as the ship can get to port for boarding I don't think the cruise would be cancelled.

A few years ago we were on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Galveston, and were stuck at the dock for two days in fog. We boarded on time, had dinner, went to shows, enjoyed the ship and finally sailed on Tuesday morning (Sunday boarding). We missed one port and were refunded port charges of $19pp! Turned out to be a nice cruise but, as you can imagine, there were some very vocal and very upset passengers during the time we were sitting at the dock in the fog!

We too are on the 4 day to Bermuda. I am traveling with a friend and it is their first cruise and they don't want to go. Unfortunately we did not get insurance. If they back out and I decide to go alone, will Princess charge me a single supplement?

Would the ship be able to stay in the Hudson River for the 4 days? I wish Princess would give us an idea of some of their alternate plans. I think it would be crazy to try and get to Bermuda. The eye of the storm is supposed to be directly in our path Sunday at 2am.

I'm also fearful because of all the mechanical problems the CB has had recently. What if she konks out right in the middle of the Atlantic with Sandy bearing down on us??!! :eek:

Archived