Celebrity Silhouette TA April 2013

JonAlone

• 1 month later...

Hi... Hope all is well with you!

I booked today and bringing my ex partner who is flying in from KL to London a few days earlier.

I held out for a good deal on Aqua, and grabbed it today when one came up.

Will be interested to see if there is much of a "Friendly" crowd as on previous years... hopefully the usual 30 - 40 passengers at the FOD drinks in the MArtini Bar...

Looking forward to seeing you guys...

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

Hi all, well not too many yet, but hello just the same. Jon, maybe you remember me as we were on a Trans-Atlantic before. I just booked this cruise as the prices finally have come down. The single rate was very attractive. Now I just need to find a free awards air ticket and I'll be as happy as a boy can be. Well, I could be happier, but that will have to wait.

Howard in beautiful Fort Lauderdale

Hi all, well not too many yet, but hello just the same. Jon, maybe you remember me as we were on a Trans-Atlantic before. I just booked this cruise as the prices finally have come down. The single rate was very attractive. Now I just need to find a free awards air ticket and I'll be as happy as a boy can be. Well, I could be happier, but that will have to wait.

Howard in beautiful Fort Lauderdale

Howard, I am sure more will join nearer the date... It is a great trip by the sound of it.. nice ports and some sunshine much needed right now...

Just thinking about this one. Never cruised on my own before, but good prices for singles right now, and good to know there will be some friendly faces on board.

Last cruise I did, the G&L roll call was dead, but was the gayest cruise I've been on, at least 40

Just thinking about this one. Never cruised on my own before, but good prices for singles right now, and good to know there will be some friendly faces on board.

Last cruise I did, the G&L roll call was dead, but was the gayest cruise I've been on, at least 40

We usually get 40 - 80 on a transatlantic.. and this will be the first of my 5 TA's travelling with a friend.. I have always travelled solo and met some great people.

If you book flights etc via Celebrity. it is likely we will be on the same route and hotel... we are taking the later flight out of Rome to be able to do a little sightseeing there too...

Get on to CruiseClub International in Bromley in Kent, and tell Joy that Jonathan Goldsmith sent you there.. they may do you a better deal than anyone else will.. worth a phone call!

Feel free to contact me on my email jaygee1243 at hotmail dot com if you want to get in touch.

If you book flights etc via Celebrity. it is likely we will be on the same route and hotel

Thanks Jon, not contacted my TA yet (I usually use Bolsover), but on the Celebrity website flights are adding £680. I can get them for £500 with BA. Looking at flying into Orlando on the Friday, and driving down from there. (Gatwick is much easier than Heathrow for me.)

Not looked at Hotels yet, but stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 last month, and really liked it. Where are you staying?

Do you normally book fixed dining or select when you travel on your own?

Nick

Thanks Jon, not contacted my TA yet (I usually use Bolsover), but on the Celebrity website flights are adding £680. I can get them for £500 with BA. Looking at flying into Orlando on the Friday, and driving down from there. (Gatwick is much easier than Heathrow for me.)

Not looked at Hotels yet, but stayed at the Hyatt Pier 66 last month, and really liked it. Where are you staying?

Do you normally book fixed dining or select when you travel on your own?

Nick

Flights booked with Celebrity include the hotel and transfers to the hotel, to the ship and to the airport on return.. you may also find that flying from Gatwick is cheaper than Heathrow with Celebrity...usually around £70 less via Gatwick.

Last year I looked at the cost of a hotel room on my own and transfers etc and the Celebrity option was about £50 more than the lowest deal I could find.. but I figured their hotel and transfers would be better and of course if there is a plane delay (and there was a major one with BA engine fault) at least Celebrity have to get you to the ship at their expense... Making your own package could leave you trapped.

I usually book Select for dining, hoping I will meet some others during the first day or at the Martini Bar to make up a table... you can always move to set dining if that doesnt work out... however last time I was Aqua Class and ate at Blue when a crowd made a table up there... only one night there was a misunderstanding and people I was drinking with went off to a speciality restaurant freebie and I had nobody to eat with... but when I got to Blue some others immediately asked the Maitre d' to pull up a table so I could join them.. (I hate sitting at a table on my own in the evening... would rather eat in the cabin or at the buffet) .. We are Aqua this year.

Celebrity use the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina hotel.

It was very nice to see a little action on this board since it came up in my email list. So Nick, what's it going to be? Do we welcome our newest member to our small but intimate group on board the "Silhouette"? FYI, on my last crossing in November, we were a very hearty group of about 75. Quite a few of us met each evening for the listed "LGBT Gathering" in the Martini Bar. There also a gay table that I wound up joining and we were a friendly group of 7. I started out as Select Dining and switched to late sitting because I never seemed to get out of the Martini Bar before 8-830 anyway. Jon, Since you and your friend are Aqua Class, I guess that means "Blu" for you. But, I think there will be a chance for all of us to meet up in one of the specialty restaurants if not at lunch or any other times.

Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend.

Howard in quite foggy, for some reason, Ft. Lauderdale

Jon, Since you and your friend are Aqua Class, I guess that means "Blu" for you. But, I think there will be a chance for all of us to meet up in one of the specialty restaurants if not at lunch or any other times.

Although we have Blu, we can also use main dining room too... as well as speciality restaurants.. Would be cool to make a gay table one night at the Lawn Grill ...or Qsine !!

Just found out 2 of the Scots guys from Solstice TA last April are joining the ship.. Will be good to see them again....:)

Booked, got a balcony at an unbelievable rate. The joys of being 55!!

I envy you your AQ cabin though Jon, would love to try Blu sometime.

Anyone else Elite, or will I be drinking on my own in the CC lounge?

With a first cruise in 1969, its no surprise that you are in Celebrity's "Senior" category Jon! (Although it was obviously a school trip)

Wouldn't say I would rush for the free drinks, but its nice to pop in for an hour after the sun goes down.

I was Elite for the first time on my last cruise. My god, you should have seen those people, I think they were friends of Bill W. There was a lady who would get through 3 glasses of fizz while we had breakfast, and she was always there before we arrived and when we left.

I did enjoy working through the list though (over several days, naturally), and became very fond of apple martini on the rocks.

Not buying a drinks package, but I got $300 OBC for my open passage (if you'll pardon the expression!) which should cover wine with dinner.

With a first cruise in 1969, its no surprise that you are in Celebrity's "Senior" category Jon! (Although it was obviously a school trip)

Wouldn't say I would rush for the free drinks, but its nice to pop in for an hour after the sun goes down.

I was Elite for the first time on my last cruise. My god, you should have seen those people, I think they were friends of Bill W. There was a lady who would get through 3 glasses of fizz while we had breakfast, and she was always there before we arrived and when we left.

I did enjoy working through the list though (over several days, naturally), and became very fond of apple martini on the rocks.

Not buying a drinks package, but I got $300 OBC for my open passage (if you'll pardon the expression!) which should cover wine with dinner.

Yup.. you got me.. I was a babe and it was a family Mediterranean trip on our first cruise.. my parents got the bug then... If you count chartering a 50ft sail boat and bareback sailing round the Greek islands, Croatia or Turkey you can add another 8 cruises on my list.. and we also used to own a gin palace moored near Palma Mallorca.

My parents have had the cruise bug since the 1970s and do several a year more so since Dad retired at 78, eight years ago.

I also have the $300 OBC

Welcome aboard Nick C, nice to know you were able to get a good deal. I too am "elite". I always go to the Elite cocktail party at 5 (what else do I have to do anyway) and then proceed to the LGBT gathering at the Martini Bar. One drink. How much can one drink afterall (except for your friend of Bill W). The morning breakfast they give us, is a real delight for me. I try to host a gay table at the elite cocktail party and that way we have an extension of the LGBT party, albeit on the early side. I am not yet an alcoholic, I'm not.

Which 2 Scots are joining? Could their names be "David and David"?

JonAlone. I plan on buying the 5 "specialty dinner package" once I board and then perhaps we could def have that table at dinner at the "Grill" or "Qsine" . If I book now, they charge my credit card now, and I have so much OBC as it is.

Not terribly long now

Howard in Beautiful Fort Lauderdale

Looks like we will be on same cruise, AGAIN:eek:

I just booked a B1 Veranda for $699pp and got 300 OBC.

Celebrity is so generous.

Seems they were running a special when Jonathan & I took a Bahamas mini cruise over the weekend just ending today in Miami.

I will be with Jonathan the lad I am currently with.

However, it is NOT Jonathan Z but rather Jonathan B

The first names are the same I assure you it is not a conspiracy just a coincidence .

I think we are going to do Mykonos for a few days before returning.

I am sure it will be fun as always, perhaps more so

Looks like we will be on same cruise, AGAIN:eek:

I just booked a B1 Veranda for $699pp and got 300 OBC.

Celebrity is so generous.

Seems they were running a special when Jonathan & I took a Bahamas mini cruise over the weekend just ending today in Miami.

I will be with Jonathan the lad I am currently with.

However, it is NOT Jonathan Z but rather Jonathan B

The first names are the same I assure you it is not a conspiracy just a coincidence .

I think we are going to do Mykonos for a few days before returning.

I am sure it will be fun as always, perhaps more so

If I am correct that is George ????

Brilliant to be cruising with you again!!

Are you Aqua Class??

I am bringing CT from Malaysia and we have Aqua cabin so I guess we will eat in Blu some of the time.. but the main dining room upstairs is excellent as you know, so perhaps if you are not Aqua we can still join you for dinner some time..

I am not sure if Qsine and the Lawn Grill will be your thing.. Qsine you would enjoy for the presentation and the atmosphere rather than for the fine dining and the Lawn Grill is probably too casual Bistro for you... but if not, those are two other great evening options.

It will be great to see you again! The ship is even better than Equinox!

The one & Only hehe.. Yeah I did x-Atlantic last year on Eclipse I think you went another ship a week before.

I'm sure it will be interesting. It was kind of an impulse buy but really too good to pass up, since I like these crossings and was going regardless.

Hopefully you will have more than an hour from airplane to ship.

The gay polo match in Palm Beach is not to be missed.

We were in the Papers a few weeks ago I'll msg you the link.

Cheers,

George

Welcome George and Jonathan Z.

Are there any "Trivia" players out there? I hope so. How about card players? One can't sit in the sun if one is from Florida, can one? Not all the time anyway.

Howard in crisp Fort Lauderdale

Hey Howard, are you talking about the quizzes or the board game (Trivial Pursuit)? I love doing quizzes, and its always good to get a mixed team of Brits and Americans, spreads the knowledge.

Used to play Canasta, not played for a while though.

George, we land in Miami at 4pm on Virgin 005... by the time we get through immigration and to FL I would assume 6pm staying at the Hilton FL Marina. CT would have had 2 longhaul flights in 2 days... KL to London and London to Miami.. so no idea what state he will be in with regard to jet lag... but we are staying at a hotel in Heathrow the night before to save travel time for him in London to and from the airport.

I would doubt that will be early enough for any activities ... other than dinner..on the other forum they are talking about some Clam place they are all heading to.. Like a budget version of Joe's Stone Crab... The burger at the hotel last year was very very expensive, poorly cooked with cold chips..so something I would try to avoid this time..but at least we should be there earlier.. I dont think we got in til almost 11pm in 2012.

Hi Howard,

Julian from San Francisco here. I just signed up for this cruise. Looking forward to our Friends of Dorothy cocktail hours on the Silhouette! They are always such fun on Transatlantics. My business partner and his husband will be onboard too. We're all on Deck 6. Right now we're signed up for 8:30 dining, and I know we are going to do the package of dining in 3 Specialty Restaurants (LOVE LOVE LOVE Qsine) so we have a pretty flexible dining "plan." Of course Qsine is more fun with a big group so let's round up some people.

It was very nice to see a little action on this board since it came up in my email list. So Nick, what's it going to be? Do we welcome our newest member to our small but intimate group on board the "Silhouette"? FYI, on my last crossing in November, we were a very hearty group of about 75. Quite a few of us met each evening for the listed "LGBT Gathering" in the Martini Bar. There also a gay table that I wound up joining and we were a friendly group of 7. I started out as Select Dining and switched to late sitting because I never seemed to get out of the Martini Bar before 8-830 anyway. Jon, Since you and your friend are Aqua Class, I guess that means "Blu" for you. But, I think there will be a chance for all of us to meet up in one of the specialty restaurants if not at lunch or any other times.

Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend.

Howard in quite foggy, for some reason, Ft. Lauderdale

Hey Howard and Julian, would love to join you in QSine one night. We did the 5 night dining package on Silhouette last summer, and QSine was our favourite - we thought it was better than Murano. I could easily be dragged back to any of the other restaurants as well. Right now, I'm just jealous of Jon for dining in Blu, that's the only restaurant that I didn't get to try.

Archived