Celebrity Silhouette TA April 2013

JonAlone

Hi Howard,

I play trivia and also Mexican Train.

Looking forward to our FOD cocktail hours and meeting everyone.

Welcome George and Jonathan Z.

Are there any "Trivia" players out there? I hope so. How about card players? One can't sit in the sun if one is from Florida, can one? Not all the time anyway.

Howard in crisp Fort Lauderdale

Hi Nick,

My friends Tom and Art were Aqua Class last cruise. Blu was OK, but I much prefer to eat in QSine and order off their iPads. I liked Murano OK, certainly high calorie food in there. I will skip Tuscan Grille this year I think.

Hey Howard and Julian, would love to join you in QSine one night. We did the 5 night dining package on Silhouette last summer, and QSine was our favourite - we thought it was better than Murano. I could easily be dragged back to any of the other restaurants as well. Right now, I'm just jealous of Jon for dining in Blu, that's the only restaurant that I didn't get to try.

Hey Jon

do we need reservations on Lawn Grill? That would be really fun to get a gay group up there. Let's do it while we are still in the Caribbean so it's WARM

Although we have Blu, we can also use main dining room too... as well as speciality restaurants.. Would be cool to make a gay table one night at the Lawn Grill ...or Qsine !!

Just found out 2 of the Scots guys from Solstice TA last April are joining the ship.. Will be good to see them again....:)

Hi Nick,

I like Trivial Pursuit, but on board usually I play Team Trivia (I agree that Brits + Americans = winning team).

Of course, the "special relationship" - and I'm sure Brits + Canadians is an equally successful combination!

Hello Nick C and Julian, yes "Team Trivia" is the way to go. My only hope is that they don't make the teams so restrictive. On my last crossing, they only allowed teams of 4!:eek: Brits, Canadians and Americans would make it better.

Specialty dining, yes yes yes. Let's definitely do this. I love dining in the different rooms. I have not tried "Qsine" as of yet. I always like "Tuscan Grille" so I'm surprised you din't like it. They could care less if there is a FOD table in any of their dining rooms. Not anymore, at least. Money is money, you know.

Julian, I don't think I'm familiar with "Mexican Train". You'll have to teach me that.

Is anyone going to be staying in Rome following the cruise? I am arranging a private car transfer on the other board and we're only up to 5. I have found "Bob's Limo" through Tripadvisor and they have great rates. Let me know. I found "Hotel Miami" on "Purpleroofs.com" I use them fir most of my hotel needs. They have proven to be quite excellent. The hotel is located about 4 blocks from the main train station on Via ****onale.

Howard in still dark out but soon to be light Fort Lauderdale.

Jon, any place is better and better priced that the Hilton coffee shop. You are 1 block away from tons of dining spots

We had two meals in Tuscan Grille last year. The first was disappointing, mainly because the service wasn't very good. We had a word with the Maitre d' in the way out, and our second evening was excellent. Loved the (scalding hot) french onion soup, and had a decent steak. Great views though, which is something sorely missing in Murano - I found it slightly depressing not having any windows. I think to make that work, they need to go very old fashioned, dark wood and dim lighting.

I still haven't sorted out where to stay. I'm flying into Orlando. Debating whether to do a couple of theme parks or drive down to FL and crash on the beach for a couple of days. Is it silly doing a theme park on your own when you are 55? (I may have just answered my own question, but the child inside me is still tempted).

I gather Mexican Train is some sort of dominos?

Howard - hope you are feeling better?

Hi Nick C, how can you even think of not going to Disney if you want to. I too wanted to go but when I couldn't find anyone to go with, I almost didn't. So definitely have a go at it. I too was amazed that the site automatically changed my spelling to a dirty word. Backgammon works for me. I challenge you to a ....... game . Thanks for your concern BTW, I am hoping for a resolvement sooner rather than later.

Cruising gourmet, I don't know if we can take over the whole Lawngrille, but its worth a try. We'll propose it to the FOD's at the Martini Bar. You never know.

Just heard that 2 lovely gentlemen that I met on the November crossing are also going to be on board. I'll have to direct them to this site so that they too can register. I also have a girlfriend that is considering it too. Plus he birthday takes place during that time, so I'm trying to twist her arm. She is a delight.

Howard is brisk and bracing Fort Lauderdale

PS: Though not as cold or snowy as our fellow cruisers in England

Nick,

You should totally go to the Theme Parks in Orlando if you want to. I went to Harry Potter world in Universal in October where I scored some wands and a Marauder's Map for some friends my age and gave them as Christmas gifts. They were, and I quote, "the best gifts ever" so let that tidbit encourage you to follow your heart. Plus, remember we have a few days of cruising the Caribbean with nice beaches on the islands before we sail across the Atlantic, so you can get your beach time in no problem.

Yes, Mexican Train is a dominos game, very competitive, very backstabbing, very fun. I have a travel set which I will bring.

We had two meals in Tuscan Grille last year. The first was disappointing, mainly because the service wasn't very good. We had a word with the Maitre d' in the way out, and our second evening was excellent. Loved the (scalding hot) french onion soup, and had a decent steak. Great views though, which is something sorely missing in Murano - I found it slightly depressing not having any windows. I think to make that work, they need to go very old fashioned, dark wood and dim lighting.

I still haven't sorted out where to stay. I'm flying into Orlando. Debating whether to do a couple of theme parks or drive down to FL and crash on the beach for a couple of days. Is it silly doing a theme park on your own when you are 55? (I may have just answered my own question, but the child inside me is still tempted).

I gather Mexican Train is some sort of dominos?

Howard - hope you are feeling better?

Hello everyone, well another glorious day in Fort Lauderdale. How is it glorious, well, my name was not in the obits this morning. :)

My doctor has given me something called a Z Pack, which seems to be working a little. It seems I have an upper respiratory infection and this is supposed to help. We'll see. I've had it for months.

There is a Gay beach in St. Maarten. If I'm correct, it's some where between the 2 side of the Island. I want to say Orient Beach, but don't hold me to it. Just checked a Gay site, and it is Orient beach. It is in fron of something called "The Orient Resort" and it's also a nude beach.

Julian, have you made it to the "Harry Potter" exhibit out of London yet. I haven't yet, but I hear it's supposed to be pretty good. I also understand it's very expensive. The Universal one though is great. Nick, just go. You'll feel sorry if you don't. Of course, if you get to the states a lot, that's a different story.

Speaking of stories, don't forget to register for the "Murder Mystery Group", on the other board. It should be a hoot. I have volunteered to help and be a cast member. It's so Gay.

Howard in beautiful Fort Lauderdale

Gay nude beach? count me in. I am very proud that when I went to school in San Diego I didn't have a tan line for 3 years. I hate the feeling of a wet bathing suit, love being naked.

Hello everyone, well another glorious day in Fort Lauderdale. How is it glorious, well, my name was not in the obits this morning. :)

My doctor has given me something called a Z Pack, which seems to be working a little. It seems I have an upper respiratory infection and this is supposed to help. We'll see. I've had it for months.

There is a Gay beach in St. Maarten. If I'm correct, it's some where between the 2 side of the Island. I want to say Orient Beach, but don't hold me to it. Just checked a Gay site, and it is Orient beach. It is in fron of something called "The Orient Resort" and it's also a nude beach.

Julian, have you made it to the "Harry Potter" exhibit out of London yet. I haven't yet, but I hear it's supposed to be pretty good. I also understand it's very expensive. The Universal one though is great. Nick, just go. You'll feel sorry if you don't. Of course, if you get to the states a lot, that's a different story.

Speaking of stories, don't forget to register for the "Murder Mystery Group", on the other board. It should be a hoot. I have volunteered to help and be a cast member. It's so Gay.

Yes, the nude beach on St Martin is part of Orient Beach. Take minibus from port, approx $13 pp, takes about half hour if I remember correctly. Once you reach the drop off point you go to the right and walk along the beach, you will soon realize that you are there! Club Orient is the hotel mentioned. Was there in November, nice beach! Also, Maho Beach is great, thrill to see the aircraft landing right above you! About $6 pp cab ride.:)

Thanks for the info. Is there cab service from Maho Beach to Orient beach? I also wanted to see the planes land overhead but I think we only need a short time for that then.

By the way, my hometown is Vancouver BC.

Yes, the nude beach on St Martin is part of Orient Beach. Take minibus from port, approx $13 pp, takes about half hour if I remember correctly. Once you reach the drop off point you go to the right and walk along the beach, you will soon realize that you are there! Club Orient is the hotel mentioned. Was there in November, nice beach! Also, Maho Beach is great, thrill to see the aircraft landing right above you! About $6 pp cab ride.:)

We went to Maho Beach early, I think we were there about 10:30ish. It gets really busy later on. The cab fare was $6 pp, we stayed there a couple of hours, got some awesome pictures, but no biggies, largest was a 737. Awesome to watch and fun to watch the spectators who don't or can't read the signs that warn you about the jetblast on take off. Everyone gets e free exfoliation as the sand is whipped up, hilarious!!!! We then took a cab to Orient Beach from there, that was $13 pp. The views there are awesome (if you know what I mean!!!)

Looking forward to a rematch Jon G.

I love the idea of taking over the lawn grille, especially in the warm caribbean.

Count us in.

Only if you have been practising .. lol... perhaps I should retire undefeated rather than risk a titanic experience... lol...

Lawn Grill should be fun but we need to make sure there isnt a concert on the lawn the same night we book for a load of us... or we may have to keep the noise down.

Qsine is great for round tables .. think we can get 8 or 10 on a round...

I have been to Orient Beach... I didnt see a gay section, but it is a great beach... not that deep from bars to sea edge ... but nice bars and good sand. I love a tan line!! so back on diet so I can wear my AussieBums!!

Murder Mystery - I took part on Solstice last year TA - the only venue they would give us was in the buffet restaurant in the corner near the main entrance. We started at 6.15 and had to break for food around 8pm for 45 mins or so... we didnt finish til around midnight. Turned out I was the killer! (Barry Glitter - Ships entertainer). It was a fun night, and a nice crowd, but not sure I would do it again .. ever... lol...

Oh... and I know of 2 more friends joining this trip... 2 great guys I met on Equinox TA in 2011 and then joined them for Holyland Cruise on Sillhouette 2011

I have been to Orient Beach... I didnt see a gay section, but it is a great beach... not that deep from bars to sea edge ... but nice bars and good sand. I love a tan line!! so back on diet so I can wear my AussieBums!!

Murder Mystery - I took part on Solstice last year TA - the only venue they would give us was in the buffet restaurant in the corner near the main entrance. We started at 6.15 and had to break for food around 8pm for 45 mins or so... we didnt finish til around midnight. Turned out I was the killer! (Barry Glitter - Ships entertainer). It was a fun night, and a nice crowd, but not sure I would do it again .. ever... lol...

Oh... and I know of 2 more friends joining this trip... 2 great guys I met on Equinox TA in 2011 and then joined them for Holyland Cruise on Sillhouette 2011

The nude section is past all the bars and cafes, keep going to your right as you look out to sea!:D

If you are arriving a few days in advance you could take advantage of some of the society events around here.

http://www.gaypolo.com/the-event/

Here are some pics ,from our Mar-a-Lago holiday party from the Palm Beach Post Social pages.

http://shinyshots.palmbeachdailynews.com/mycapture/enlargePopup.asp?image=45266023&event=1584195&CategoryID=48024&pSlideshow=1&picnum=6&move=B#Image

I'm in pic 3 and Jon is in pic 4 with Lady Coates from England

Cheers George

Archived