Celebrity Silhouette TA April 2013

JonAlone

Hi Howard,

I think with the clock ticking back an hour each day that it might reset your circadian rhythm.

Try to avoid napping during day and excercise can help make you tired enough to help you sleep more fully.

Funchal looks excellent, I am quite tired of Punta Delgada.

The cable car, the 2nd highest ocean cliff in the world 1,900 ft and the drive up to the 5000+ ft peak for mountain views sould like a full day.

Then they also have a historic hotel that does British high tea too.

I gotta get dive certified too since there are really good dive options.

Wish it wasn't so far off, but soon enough

Hi Howard,

I think with the clock ticking back an hour each day that it might reset your circadian rhythm.

Try to avoid napping during day and excercise can help make you tired enough to help you sleep more fully.

Funchal looks excellent, I am quite tired of Punta Delgada.

The cable car, the 2nd highest ocean cliff in the world 1,900 ft and the drive up to the 5000+ ft peak for mountain views sould like a full day.

Then they also have a historic hotel that does British high tea too.

I gotta get dive certified too since there are really good dive options.

Wish it wasn't so far off, but soon enough

I have been to Funchal a couple of times on TAs. The cable car is good if the weather is fine, great views .... they do a toboggan ride down again, but you are seated in a wicker armchair on wheels and pushed all the way down by a couple of guys in white outfits.. very traditional and scares the sxxt out of me. I took the cable car down again..

I may try to buy a bottle of Madeira there, there is a white version too I think, not quite as sweet... but to be honest, it is probaby easier to buy it in the UK and not have to schlep it home.

Good Morning, believe it or not, I actually got 5 hours sleep last night. I think it might be the wine that I have been drinking. I had been having pfrobably too much per night. I know they say1/2 glasses a night, but sometimes I go over that amount. What can I say, I do like my wine.

Cruising gourmet, we will be turning our clocks ahead, not back going over. I also just remembered that we all met up the night before at the"Alibi" in Wilton Manors prior to the cruise. Today Royal Carib. has a gay cruise and there are 3,100 folk on board. That should be a "tres gay" cruise. I've never done a full ship charter before as I always feel that the pricing for them is quite out of whack, especially when compared to regular cruises.

JonAlone, you really must do your "dance of the 7 oy veils". You were known for it on the other cruise. And I seem to remember you being able to hold all of those coins in your "g-string".;)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have tried the warm milk and the cammoumile tea, no luck though. I have several diferent sleeping pills, but after some weird episodes with Ambien and Lunesta, I stopped those. Last night I took an actifed and a breathe right strip and that seemed to do the trick. I'll see if I can string 2 nights in a row.

I took the "tobaggen" down the hill in Madeira and once was quite enough. But it does produce a good photo op. The cable car is def worth it though. You can get some very good wine in Madeira, without doing for the "Mateuse Rose" (too sweet). I like sitting near the dock and drinking the afternoon away. (see I told you I drink too much) lol.

Hope everyone has a teriffic weekend.

Howard in sunny and cool Fort Lauderdale

Good Morning, believe it or not, I actually got 5 hours sleep last night. I think it might be the wine that I have been drinking. I had been having pfrobably too much per night. I know they say1/2 glasses a night, but sometimes I go over that amount. What can I say, I do like my wine.

Cruising gourmet, we will be turning our clocks ahead, not back going over. I also just remembered that we all met up the night before at the"Alibi" in Wilton Manors prior to the cruise. Today Royal Carib. has a gay cruise and there are 3,100 folk on board. That should be a "tres gay" cruise. I've never done a full ship charter before as I always feel that the pricing for them is quite out of whack, especially when compared to regular cruises.

JonAlone, you really must do your "dance of the 7 oy veils". You were known for it on the other cruise. And I seem to remember you being able to hold all of those coins in your "g-string".;)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have tried the warm milk and the cammoumile tea, no luck though. I have several diferent sleeping pills, but after some weird episodes with Ambien and Lunesta, I stopped those. Last night I took an actifed and a breathe right strip and that seemed to do the trick. I'll see if I can string 2 nights in a row.

I took the "tobaggen" down the hill in Madeira and once was quite enough. But it does produce a good photo op. The cable car is def worth it though. You can get some very good wine in Madeira, without doing for the "Mateuse Rose" (too sweet). I like sitting near the dock and drinking the afternoon away. (see I told you I drink too much) lol.

Hope everyone has a teriffic weekend.

Howard in sunny and cool Fort Lauderdale

Does the basic drinks package include the portside wine bars in Madeira?

Just a reminder for those who haven't done so, that you can easily upload a pic on here by using the paperclip button above or load a pic on Cruies Fellows dot com so we can find you in time for the sailaway!!

I so need this holiday!

Howard, you are probably dependent on sleeping pills!! go cold turkey and get that out your system.... stick to the warm milk or cammomile tea drinking it in bed with the radio on low... I promise you it works and you feel better in the morning.

You are not sleeping because you are stressed out,that you cant sleep.. break the cycle...

I hate all tablets, though take 3 a day... if my weight would only drop I could stop 2 of them, but it just doesnt work like that :-(

Good morning once again. I am rather happy as I had another fair nights sleep. Jon, I am not addicted to anything except cruising. I have nothing to stress me out as I am retired and have been for over 20 years. I sometimes get bored, but then I take a nap and when I awake, voila, boredom gone. I then plan another cruise and again no stress.

I don't think any of the beverage packages come with land wines. You might want to check with Captain Club Hostess. Of course, for the prices that they get on Madeira, it shouldn't be too expensive to buy a nice bottle of wine and get a hunk of bread and some cheese and just enjoy the day. Hmmm, that sounds like I might want to do that. Count me in.

Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday,

Howard in magnificent Fort Lauderdale

welcome keith and ralph! a bunch of us are posting our pics on cruise fellows (make it one word) and you should post your pic there too

Hello...actually this is my second cruise...I just happen to look like every other middle aged single gay man....lol..buzzed head...goatee...overweight

Good morning once again. I am rather happy as I had another fair nights sleep. Jon, I am not addicted to anything except cruising. I have nothing to stress me out as I am retired and have been for over 20 years. I sometimes get bored, but then I take a nap and when I awake, voila, boredom gone. I then plan another cruise and again no stress.

I don't think any of the beverage packages come with land wines. You might want to check with Captain Club Hostess. Of course, for the prices that they get on Madeira, it shouldn't be too expensive to buy a nice bottle of wine and get a hunk of bread and some cheese and just enjoy the day. Hmmm, that sounds like I might want to do that. Count me in.

Wishing you all a wonderful Sunday,

Howard in magnificent Fort Lauderdale

I meant more "reliant" rather than addicted... I hope I didn't offend..:o

and I was, of course, joking about land drinks being part of the ship's package, though with the GO123 and all the other great deals Celebrity give US passengers and don't offer to UK travellers, who knows what will come up next? ;)

Hopefully we will join you for some local cheese and a drop of white Madeira as some point before reboarding the ship.

OOOOOPS!!!

There was a discussion about snowy weather I think in Canada,on the other forum...

I saw one comment that read along the lines of:

"We expect 6 - 8 inches towards the end of the week and thru saturday with a rainy day on sunday."

I forgot which forum I was in and had to quickly delete my comment:

"it sounds like a perfect weekend to me!"

:eek::eek::eek:

is anyone staying for a couple nights in FLL prior to the cruise....any good hotel rates?

Staying in Orlando for 3 nights pre cruise. Much cheaper than FLL, and easier for me to get to (I can fly from Gatwick insead of Heathrow). Will drive down on Sunday morning. Couldn't justify the price of FLL hotels travelling on my own.

Staying in Orlando for 3 nights pre cruise. Much cheaper than FLL, and easier for me to get to (I can fly from Gatwick insead of Heathrow). Will drive down on Sunday morning. Couldn't justify the price of FLL hotels travelling on my own.

Even travelling solo I usually find the best rates are using Celebrity flights. transfer and hotels especially for a TA, as their flights are based on return fares rather than 2 single fares. Of course there is also the peace of mind that if the flight is delayed they will still get you to the ship.... and transfers with luggage are easier too. They can add on extra days too if desired.

Celebrity will do flights from Gatwick, but there is usually a stop-over at Charlotte... and for the small savings the additional 4 or 5 hours in the airport isnt worth it....

This year my friend arrives from KL the night before flying to FL so I have booked into the Skyline Hotel at Heathrow. For £120 it also includes upto 19 days free parking.... so saves me £100 in cab fares from Tower of London area.

I did read up on Parliament House, sounds ghastly. Also considered The Worthington in FL which sounds really nice and reasonably priced. However, I decided it was sensible to get onto local time before doing the drive down to FL.

I'll be staying at the Hilton Grand Vacations Suites at SeaWorld, which I got for what seems a ridiculously cheap rate of £60 a night through Hotels.com, plus £9 per night cashback through TopCashback.co.uk

Keith, if you fancy flying into Orlando, I've rented an SUV, so would be happy to give you a lift!

Jon, this will be my sixth Celebrity fly cruise, and I've always found cheaper flights on my own than through Celebrity. For this cruise, they wanted £680.00 for the flights (although I assume that would have included one night in a hotel, as I don't think you could feasibly fly out to MIA from the UK and transfer to the ship same day?) I've put together my own package with a non stop BA flight, a 3 night stay, a decent car and, and a tank of gas for £707. I do worry about luggage going astray, and that can happen regardless of who you arrange you flight with, so I always arrive 2 or 3 days before the cruise. Also, arranging the flight through the cruise line doesn't guarantee they will hold the ship for you. I did a northern TA, NY to Dover, on Ocean Princess in 2010. About 30 passengers were flying in same day, but their flight was delayed and the ship sailed without them. They joined us 2 or 3 days later in Halifax.

Hi everyone. Greetings from Toronto. MY TA has a hold on this cruise and is (really) encouraging me to go! I have done a number of cruises but never a transatlantic. I usually travel with people but may go solo this time - a bit anxious. Just a regular gay guy here, 36, down to earth, etc. Any Advice re going solo? Would it better to have a friend go with me? Advice appreciated. Thanks, Michael. :)

Hi everyone. Greetings from Toronto. MY TA has a hold on this cruise and is (really) encouraging me to go! I have done a number of cruises but never a transatlantic. I usually travel with people but may go solo this time - a bit anxious. Just a regular gay guy here, 36, down to earth, etc. Any Advice re going solo? Would it better to have a friend go with me? Advice appreciated. Thanks, Michael. :)

OK .. here we go... lol....

I have done 5 TAs so far and this is the first I have taken someone with me.. I am quite nervous of having to make sure he has a good time!

I have enjoyed every TA I have done and the Solstice Class ships are without doubt one of the best to take a solo holiday.

The Martini Bar or Micheals bar are usually full of gay guys before dinner so it is eady to make up a table or join others... usually best best to book Select so you have freedom to join others, and if you meet people that you can join on a regular basis, just ask Maitre D' to add you to their table (if they invite you of course)... If for any reason this doenst work for you on the ship, just ask to be put on a seating time (late) on a big table and then you will have regular table mates to fall back on...(even if they are not "family" )

The idea that you have a nice long sea based holiday and can get up when you feel like it, go to whichever bar / restaurant/ cafe you feel like and sleep whenever you want is a great appeal to me.. Having said that I have made some truly wonderful friends on TAs travelling solo, and still find myself rushing to make deadlines for tours, drinks, meals etc.

Celebrity are very gay friendly and there will be a FOD gathering (usually around 7 - 7.30 ) every night at the Martini Bar... all very welcoming and easy to spot... no need to be nervous.. If I can do it, anyone can!

Great prices at the moment too.. so grab it while you can.. and have a wonderful holiday!

Archived