Is there a deadline for signing up for travel insurance?

jimbug

Hello,

We are experienced cruisers, but this is the first time we are attempting to cruise in the middle of winter, and are a bit worried about the weather in ND/MN, trying to get to our FL destination. I realize we have already missed the cut-off deadline for getting pre-existing conditions covered, which is fine....but is there a deadline for getting the travel insurance policy for trip cancellation/delay/interruption?

Like...if we were to wait until 7-10 days before sailing to sign up for the insurance, if the potential for severe winter weather presented itself? My husband is a meteorologist, so I'm confident in his forecasting abilities, but 7-10 days is about the most notice we would get.

I'm just not familiar with how the timing of things works, and I couldn't find anything online on any of the policies we were looking at.

Thanks for any info you can pass along!

I know for any Travelguard policy I've had, you must purchase insurance at least 24 hours before any storm is named. Once it's named, it's excluded from any type of coverage. IME, you can't purchase coverage after the storm exists.

Insurance plans vary but most have a wait between 7 and 21 days for some of the coverage. You need to check with insurance providers about the specifics of the coverage you are considering.

If you are simply worried about weather related travel issues, consider travelling a day or two before departure if at all possible. It's much less stressful doing this, regardles of insurance.

I'd still recommend travel insurance, and if necessary travel medical insurance.

Waiting period...that is the terminology I was looking for. Thank you!! I will look more closely at the policies we are considering and see if I can find verbiage on that now.

We are flying out 2 days in advance, but even so, we are flying a smaller airline that doesn't have frequent service to our city...and doesn't code share. So we are banking on the hopes that they will get us there, one way or the other!

Waiting period...that is the terminology I was looking for. Thank you!! I will look more closely at the policies we are considering and see if I can find verbiage on that now.

We are flying out 2 days in advance, but even so, we are flying a smaller airline that doesn't have frequent service to our city...and doesn't code share. So we are banking on the hopes that they will get us there, one way or the other!

Seems like you are doing everything right. Have a great cruise.

Archived