US Dollars on Grand Caymen

cjw

do remember that the Cayman dollar is valued at $1.20 US - this has been a fixed exchange rate for a very long time (really $1.22 but they work the even number away from banks). Most of the time, the prices you see are in CI, so to figure your US price you add 20%. If getting in a cab, ask for the price up front in US - I've never had a driver try to rip me off in Cayman but in the early days I thought that was so cuz I forgot about the exchange rate. Handing over a $20 I'd get much less change than I expected . . .

Another way to look at it. Your US $20 is $16 CI . . . (really 16.40 but on the street they are gonna round down)

http://coinmill.com/KYD_USD.html this site has a conversion table you can print and carry if you are not good with math

if eating in a rest' and the prices are CI and you want to pay US & leave a nice tip ... you're adding 40% to your bill . . . 20% for exchange rate and 20% tip . . . that's when you begin to think that the prices are a wee bit high.

Archived