Celebrity Reflection - Nov 1, 2013

Schplinky

Just booked this cruise. Anyone coming along? We're Mike and Lee from Canada

Hi Mike and Lee, we're Bart and Bob from San Diego and we'll be joining you. Actually, having read your blog and listened to a couple of your podcasts last year, I feel I already know you guys. ;-). We're planning to fly to Rome early and rent an apartment (it's one of our favorite cities) before heading to the ship. Should be lots of fun.

Hi Mike and Lee, we're Bart and Bob from San Diego and we'll be joining you. Actually, having read your blog and listened to a couple of your podcasts last year, I feel I already know you guys. ;-). We're planning to fly to Rome early and rent an apartment (it's one of our favorite cities) before heading to the ship. Should be lots of fun.

Thanks for the welcome! I've actually only ever been to Rome for about 5 hours! We went on Brilliance of the Seas and our "Rome on Your Own" excursion got stuck in traffic on the way into town. It really made me want to go back. I love the idea of renting an apartment. Is it hard to arrange? We will likely try for a small hotel in the thick of things.

Thanks for the welcome! I've actually only ever been to Rome for about 5 hours! We went on Brilliance of the Seas and our "Rome on Your Own" excursion got stuck in traffic on the way into town. It really made me want to go back. I love the idea of renting an apartment. Is it hard to arrange? We will likely try for a small hotel in the thick of things.

Rome is pretty intense, but we love it. We prefer staying in the centro storico, the historic center, centered around the Piazza Navona and Campo de' Fiori. Almost all the stuff you hear about is within walking distance of this area, so no worries about traffic! And many of the streets are pedestrian-only now.

One thing we noticed was that hotels were much more expensive than they were on our last visit. We'd talked about renting an apartment and that was all the encouragement needed. There are a number of rental agencies in most European cities specializing in short-term vacation rentals; I found several apartments I liked (and could afford!) on vrbo.com and airbnb.com. My email is bart at cox dot net. If you email me, I can give you more details, including some hotels I like.

We're using reward miles, so depending on which date we can get seats, our plan is to spend five or six days in Rome. Looking forward to meeting you both!

• 2 weeks later...
Do you have any experience with the trains in Italy? I think we will be taking one day trip. Not sure if we'll go to Florence or Naples/Capri.

Yes, we have experience on Italian trains.:) We've taken them from Torino to Venezia, Venezia to Roma, Milano to Torino, Finale Liguria to Genova to Pisa to Firenze and Firenze to Milano. So a mix of both Intercity and Rapido (Eurostar/TGV-type). It can be an experience—both good and bad. We still talk about some of those journeys. We always buy second class tickets, as we like to travel with Europeans, not North American tourists. We've met some really nice Italians on those train trips.

Sometimes, the intercity bus is easier and more direct than the train (Firenze to Siena is a good example). Speaking of Firenze, I'd be very hesitant about trying to do it on a day trip. The city is very crowded all year round with many tourists and the lines to get into the major museums can be very long. and there is so much to see. We found a week long enough only to scratch the surface. Firenze is a wonderful city, but I wouldn't want to do it in a day. Just saying... Naples (and Capri) are certainly doable, IMHO. If the weather is good, we're thinking of maybe doing Capri.

Yes, we have experience on Italian trains.:) We've taken them from Torino to Venezia, Venezia to Roma, Milano to Torino, Finale Liguria to Genova to Pisa to Firenze and Firenze to Milano. So a mix of both Intercity and Rapido (Eurostar/TGV-type). It can be an experience—both good and bad. We still talk about some of those journeys. We always buy second class tickets, as we like to travel with Europeans, not North American tourists. We've met some really nice Italians on those train trips.

Sometimes, the intercity bus is easier and more direct than the train (Firenze to Siena is a good example). Speaking of Firenze, I'd be very hesitant about trying to do it on a day trip. The city is very crowded all year round with many tourists and the lines to get into the major museums can be very long. and there is so much to see. We found a week long enough only to scratch the surface. Firenze is a wonderful city, but I wouldn't want to do it in a day. Just saying... Naples (and Capri) are certainly doable, IMHO. If the weather is good, we're thinking of maybe doing Capri.

I agree about not being able to do everything. It would most likely be for a stroll and a long lunch, as opposed to museums. I love taking trains in other countries and agree that second class is fine. We did a first class cabin in England and it was ridiculous. Just part of the same car, with no service and no conductor even checking to see that people had 1st class ticket. We're pretty sure the others didn't.

I agree about not being able to do everything. It would most likely be for a stroll and a long lunch, as opposed to museums. I love taking trains in other countries and agree that second class is fine. We did a first class cabin in England and it was ridiculous. Just part of the same car, with no service and no conductor even checking to see that people had 1st class ticket. We're pretty sure the others didn't.

Our experience on both Italian and French trains was that the conductors DO check the tickets. Even forgetting to time stamp your ticket on the station platform can result in a fine. On express trains, you have a reserved seat (we've even had our names on the compartment window, though newer trains have no compartments. First and second class are usually in different cars. On trains with compartments, first class had four seats in each compartment vs. six in second. On high-speed trains, first class cars often have three seats across vs. four. Not a really big difference. Our Italian friends always travel second.

Even in the off-season, Firenze seemed like Disneyland on a major holiday. Personally, if I just wanted to stroll and have lunch, I'd pick a smaller, less-touristed (though just as charming) town, like Orvieto, Tarquinia or even Lucca.

Our experience on both Italian and French trains was that the conductors DO check the tickets. Even forgetting to time stamp your ticket on the station platform can result in a fine. On express trains, you have a reserved seat (we've even had our names on the compartment window, though newer trains have no compartments. First and second class are usually in different cars. On trains with compartments, first class had four seats in each compartment vs. six in second. On high-speed trains, first class cars often have three seats across vs. four. Not a really big difference. Our Italian friends always travel second.

Even in the off-season, Firenze seemed like Disneyland on a major holiday. Personally, if I just wanted to stroll and have lunch, I'd pick a smaller, less-touristed (though just as charming) town, like Orvieto, Tarquinia or even Lucca.

Good information.

Is Orvieto not the place from Under the Tuscan Sun? I love Frances Mayes' writing, except that it always makes me very hungry.

I read a thing on Fodors about the difference between the classes. The writer there said first was usually full of Italian businessmen and U.S. tourists. She claimed second had more frugal businessmen and more frugal tourists. LOL. In the end, the difference in accommodation didn't matter to me. I suspect that if we splurge, it will be for speed.

Good information.

Is Orvieto not the place from Under the Tuscan Sun? I love Frances Mayes' writing, except that it always makes me very hungry.

I read a thing on Fodors about the difference between the classes. The writer there said first was usually full of Italian businessmen and U.S. tourists. She claimed second had more frugal businessmen and more frugal tourists. LOL. In the end, the difference in accommodation didn't matter to me. I suspect that if we splurge, it will be for speed.

The faster Italian trains are quite nice. There are two airplane-type seats on each side of the aisle, facing a second set of seats across a dining-height table. The slower trains with older rolling stock, often have old-fashioned compartments with a corridor down one side of the car, just like in the movies. We usually would try for the fastest train we could. I have to say that Italian train stations (all of them!) reminded me of the Tijuana airport.:D

I believe Under the Tuscan Sun took place in Cortona, near Arezzo in Tuscany. Orvieto is a hill town in Umbria, famous for it's cathedral.

logo2.jpg

The faster Italian trains are quite nice. There are two airplane-type seats on each side of the aisle, facing a second set of seats across a dining-height table. The slower trains with older rolling stock, often have old-fashioned compartments with a corridor down one side of the car, just like in the movies. We usually would try for the fastest train we could. I have to say that Italian train stations (all of them!) reminded me of the Tijuana airport.:D

I believe Under the Tuscan Sun took place in Cortona, near Arezzo in Tuscany. Orvieto is a hill town in Umbria, famous for it's cathedral.

logo2.jpg

How pretty!!!

This our honeymoon and I think you're been to Rome before. Some friends want to give us dinner in Rome as a present. Any idea what the average cost might be? We don't want to exploit their generosity but we want to give a reasonable estimate.

If you'd like information on a great apartment in the Jewish ghetto, send me an email (spav01@bellsouth.net). My partner and I spent a week there and loved it. Great owner, perfect location.

Oh, and boarding the Reflection for the Caribbean Inaugural in 3 weeks!

This our honeymoon and I think you're been to Rome before. Some friends want to give us dinner in Rome as a present. Any idea what the average cost might be? We don't want to exploit their generosity but we want to give a reasonable estimate.

I took Bob to a great gay-owned restaurant in Trastevere for his birthday some years ago years ago. I don't know if it still has the same owners or not, but we had a wonderful special occasion meal. It's called Restaurant Asincotto. http://www.asinocotto.com/index.php?secc=texto_primario&kdb=home. There are reviews on Trip Advisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d1010856-Reviews-Asinocotto-Rome_Lazio.html. There are lots of great restaurants in the Jewish Ghetto and around the Campo de' Fiori in the centro storico. I would guess that a fine meal in any of these will probably run between 30 to 50 euro pp, including service charge.

If you'd like information on a great apartment in the Jewish ghetto, send me an email (spav01@bellsouth.net). My partner and I spent a week there and loved it. Great owner, perfect location.

Oh, and boarding the Reflection for the Caribbean Inaugural in 3 weeks!

I would! I'll be sending you an email from bart@cox.net. Are you going to be on our TA also. Definitely interested in hearing your impressions of the Reflection.

• 1 month later...

Hello all...

I just posted on the general forum board to introduce myself, but figured I go look and see if an LGBT thread had been started. My name is Walter and my partner Iain will be travelling on this ship. We just finished our first TA on RCCL in Nov 2012 and liked it so much that we wanted to do another. :D

Not so much activity going on here, but I am sure that will change as we get closer to the date. Looking forward to reading the posts here and on the other forum board.

Walter

Hello all...

I just posted on the general forum board to introduce myself, but figured I go look and see if an LGBT thread had been started. My name is Walter and my partner Iain will be travelling on this ship. We just finished our first TA on RCCL in Nov 2012 and liked it so much that we wanted to do another. :D

Not so much activity going on here, but I am sure that will change as we get closer to the date. Looking forward to reading the posts here and on the other forum board.

Walter

Hey Walter,

Welcome aboard. Looking forward to meeting you.

Lee

Hi, guys.

My partner Ted and I are on this cruise. It will be our second TA, we went the first time on the Solstice, November 28th, 2011, and loved it.

We had a whole group of 20+ gay guys in the Martini Bar, every night.

We had a blast and can't wait to do it again.

We will be in Aqua, and would love to find some people to dine with, in Blu, our favorite restaurant on the sea.

We plan on spending 1 or 2 nights in Rome, prior to the cruise.

See you guys on board.

Hi, guys.

My partner Ted and I are on this cruise. It will be our second TA, we went the first time on the Solstice, November 28th, 2011, and loved it.

We will be in Aqua, and would love to find some people to dine with, in Blu, our favorite restaurant on the sea.

See you guys on board.

Welcome aboard. We're looking forward to the trip a lot after our first TA in NOV 2011 also. We're in AQ as well. Cannot wait.

Hey everyone! We are Ted and Kim (zentha from above post) from Rockmart, Georgia and we will be joining you on this Transatlantic at the end of the year. Looking forward to meeting everyone....Martini bar?

Edited by rockmartian

Hi, guys.

See you guys on board.

Hello and welcome to the roll call. My partner Iain and I are also in Aqua class as well. We have sailed Celebrity many times but this is our first Solstice class ship. This will really be a treat for us. Looking forward to meeting you all.... Either at Blu or Martini Bar, or both. lol

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk