Celebrity Reflection - Nov 1, 2013

Schplinky

I wish I was able to travel like that! :-P

I noticed a few more people that have recently signed up for the cruise on the main thread and have advertised either sharing a ride from Rome to the port on embarkation day or they are looking for a few more travelers to fill a van that is already booked from central Rome to the port. I hope one of those offers will work for you so you don't have such a large expense to get to the port on your own. That money would be better spent to cover the cost of many cocktails or glasses of champagne while on board the ship. :-D

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE network using Tapatalk 4 Pro

I'm curious...how many are going for an unlimited alcohol package? And did anyone get one as a perk? I certainly didn't get one as a perk, but I also didn't on my very recent Americas Cup cruise either, only to learn that many on the boat did! I always tell myself that what, with elite cocktails etc, I'm not going to buy one, that I'll be a good boy, but then after the first day I look at my bar tab and decide I better run down and buy the premium one! LOL :cool:

We got it as a perk and upgraded to the higher of the two for $10 per day. If we end up with vouchers for the Elite drinks hour (the room will be too small to accommodate everyone), we will be treating whoever we see first with our vouchers.

I'm curious...how many are going for an unlimited alcohol package? And did anyone get one as a perk? I certainly didn't get one as a perk, but I also didn't on my very recent Americas Cup cruise either, only to learn that many on the boat did! I always tell myself that what, with elite cocktails etc, I'm not going to buy one, that I'll be a good boy, but then after the first day I look at my bar tab and decide I better run down and buy the premium one! LOL :cool:

Randy -

I deliberated on this topic for a long time. I was inclined to delay getting the package until I was on the ship and maybe purchase after Tenerife. Then the "Celebirty Cruises" representative came on to a thread here on cruise critic and posted some information that indicated that it would cost more if you waited to get the package on the ship. After several weeks, the "representative" came back and made a new posting to correct some mis-information originally posted... the new information indicated if you have a Classic package and want to upgrade to Premium that this can be done pre-cruise or on the ship for the same price ($10 + 15% gratuity) per person per day.

Since I did not have a drink package as part of the promo, I bit the bullet and went ahead and purchased the Premium package for all 15 days. If you buy the premium package, here are the prices:

pre-cruise: $54 + 15% graturity = $61.20 per day, per person.

on board ship: $59 + 15% gratuity = $67.85 per day, per person.

Not sure what you drink preferences are, but maybe it would be worthwhile for you to buy the classic package (pre-cruise) for all 15 days and decide if it makes sense for you to upgrade to the Premium package during the course of the cruise.

For me, I like champagne and wine by the glass and the selection below $8 is not very wide ranging. I like the occasional martini and so the premium package will cover most or all drinks I would select at either the Martini Bar or the Molecular Bar. If the drink is more than $12, I only pay the difference. Also, if I decide to buy a bottle of wine or champagne, there will be a 30% discount if you have the Premium package. My one disappointment about the beverage package is that it does not allow for you to try wines at Cellar Masters from the dispensary. I hope that is the only restriction and not all of Cellar Masters.

We got it as a perk and upgraded to the higher of the two for $10 per day. If we end up with vouchers for the Elite drinks hour (the room will be too small to accommodate everyone), we will be treating whoever we see first with our vouchers.

You guys are wonderful and generous! :D

My one disappointment about the beverage package is that it does not allow for you to try wines at Cellar Masters from the dispensary. I hope that is the only restriction and not all of Cellar Masters.

I think you're correct here. I am looking forward to trying lots of the offerings there and at the Molecular Bar, which I love. Thank goodness for all the sea days.

I think you're correct here. I am looking forward to trying lots of the offerings there and at the Molecular Bar, which I love. Thank goodness for all the sea days.

Lee -

Of course, I go back to where I thought I had seen this limitation for the dispensary at Cellar Masters and now I cannot find it. Go figure...

I have included a link to the Celebrity flyer that gives the change in cost of each "new" beverage package purchased pre-cruise vs. on board the ship.

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/celebrity-cruises-beverage-packages-price-flyer.pdf

Walter

Yeah, I have never flown Lufthansa before, but have usually heard good things about them. But when I booked this trip I never DREAMED that the Business Class intra Europe segment would be a 30 inch pitch! Sheesh, even Southwest usually has 31"! And business class 3x3 in a narrow body plane!! UNEFFING BELIEVABLE!! I wept when I checked seat guru after I was already ticketed. (the seat selection diagram on the LH site does not show the center seat that they don't fill so it looks like 2x2) I guess since they leave the 3X3 center seats open in Business I can kinda stretch out into the middle seat's leg space. But after the flight I do plan to express my displeasure to LH if all comes to pass as the internet says. For that to be a business class product is a disgrace. (and there's no 1st on intra-europe) Now on the long haul nonstop from Seattle to Frankfurt I'll have a 6''4" flat bed (actually I got the one seat in business that has even more inches on top of that 6'4, thanks to a tip from a frequent LH traveler.)

When I go to Europe I usually take the wonderful high speed trains intra-europe rather than fly. Live and learn!

Randy, when I started playing the milage game, I started reading FlyerTalk and subscribed to a couple of milage blogs, my favorites being Million Mile Secrets and One Mile At A Time. Lots of reviews with photos and good descriptions. We are now able to do almost all our travel on reward miles. But I've also learned about the good and bad of the various airlines.

Don't waste your breath complaining about LH's short haul business class. ALL European airlines J seats and service are the same. NONE have a separate J cabin, just certain seats with the middle blocked off. You may have two rows of J and the rest Y or six rows, depending on how the flight sells. There will probably be no curtain separating you from the unwashed masses. These seats are intended for short business men who are paying for the privilege of being first on/first off the plane and the use of the business lounge. No European expects International Business comfort. To add insult to injury, your plane will probably be at a remote stand, so you will be herded onto a very crowded bus and driven to the plane. We've had this happen at several European airports, even on international flights. We go with the flow, just as we don't expect European hotel rooms to be anything but cozy. Hey, we travel for the experience.

Along with Walter and Iain, and several others on the Reflection, we're doing the Oceania Marina Lisbon to Rio cruise next year and you should think about it. Our next trip after that will be a land trip through southwest France and we'll go back to riding the TGVs and driving. Yeah, I know, these are first world problems. :) When we meet up, we can exchange airline war stories. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Lee -

Of course, I go back to where I thought I had seen this limitation for the dispensary at Cellar Masters and now I cannot find it. Go figure...

I have included a link to the Celebrity flyer that gives the change in cost of each "new" beverage package purchased pre-cruise vs. on board the ship.

http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/en_US/pdf/celebrity-cruises-beverage-packages-price-flyer.pdf

Walter

It's really helpful to be reminded of all the inclusions. Mike had the premium non-alcoholic package on our last TA and he used it for Powerade and specialty coffees a lot.

Randy -

I deliberated on this topic for a long time. I was inclined to delay getting the package until I was on the ship and maybe purchase after Tenerife. Then the "Celebirty Cruises" representative came on to a thread here on cruise critic and posted some information that indicated that it would cost more if you waited to get the package on the ship. After several weeks, the "representative" came back and made a new posting to correct some mis-information originally posted... the new information indicated if you have a Classic package and want to upgrade to Premium that this can be done pre-cruise or on the ship for the same price ($10 + 15% gratuity) per person per day.

Since I did not have a drink package as part of the promo, I bit the bullet and went ahead and purchased the Premium package for all 15 days. If you buy the premium package, here are the prices:

pre-cruise: $54 + 15% graturity = $61.20 per day, per person.

on board ship: $59 + 15% gratuity = $67.85 per day, per person.

Not sure what you drink preferences are, but maybe it would be worthwhile for you to buy the classic package (pre-cruise) for all 15 days and decide if it makes sense for you to upgrade to the Premium package during the course of the cruise.

For me, I like champagne and wine by the glass and the selection below $8 is not very wide ranging. I like the occasional martini and so the premium package will cover most or all drinks I would select at either the Martini Bar or the Molecular Bar. If the drink is more than $12, I only pay the difference. Also, if I decide to buy a bottle of wine or champagne, there will be a 30% discount if you have the Premium package. My one disappointment about the beverage package is that it does not allow for you to try wines at Cellar Masters from the dispensary. I hope that is the only restriction and not all of Cellar Masters.

You guys are wonderful and generous! :D

On our last TA, a couple of the guys were wine drinkers. They had one of the drink packages, but didn't like the selection of wine by the glass at most of the bars. They used to go over to Cellar Masters and have the bar tender there pour them wine. They said it was not only much better wine than was available in the bars, but the glassware was superior, too. it was only a few steps to Cellar Masters from the evening gay gathering in the Martini Bar.

On our last TA, a couple of the guys were wine drinkers. They had one of the drink packages, but didn't like the selection of wine by the glass at most of the bars. They used to go over to Cellar Masters and have the bar tender there pour them wine. They said it was not only much better wine than was available in the bars, but the glassware was superior, too. it was only a few steps to Cellar Masters from the evening gay gathering in the Martini Bar.

And the molecular bar also. We're likely to float from bar to bar throughout the cruise. Don't be offended, I just like to try it all and I find the martini bar gets overwhelmed.

Edited by Schplinky

And the molecular bar also. We're likely to float from bar to bar throughout the cruise. Don't be offended, I just like to try it all and I find the martini bar gets overwhelmed.

On the RCCL Adverture of the Seas westbound TA, one of the ship bars was heavily focused on Champagne and specialty cocktails. I particularly liked that bar in the late afternoon. Also, our cruise friends Jonathan, Randy, and Russell spent time there before dinner.

I'm probably quite likely to be found in many different locations around the ship as the moment strikes me.

On the RCCL Adverture of the Seas westbound TA, one of the ship bars was heavily focused on Champagne and specialty cocktails. I particularly liked that bar in the late afternoon. Also, our cruise friends Jonathan, Randy, and Russell spent time there before dinner.

I'm probably quite likely to be found in many different locations around the ship as the moment strikes me.

Last cruise, it seemed that most of the guys either had late seating in the MDR or were in Blu and went to dinner after 8:00 PM. So we all sort drifted off to dinner from the Martini Bar together at around the same time.

Yeah, I have never flown Lufthansa before, but have usually heard good things about them. But when I booked this trip I never DREAMED that the Business Class intra Europe segment would be a 30 inch pitch! Sheesh, even Southwest usually has 31"! And business class 3x3 in a narrow body plane!! UNEFFING BELIEVABLE!! I wept when I checked seat guru after I was already ticketed. (the seat selection diagram on the LH site does not show the center seat that they don't fill so it looks like 2x2) I guess since they leave the 3X3 center seats open in Business I can kinda stretch out into the middle seat's leg space. But after the flight I do plan to express my displeasure to LH if all comes to pass as the internet says. For that to be a business class product is a disgrace. (and there's no 1st on intra-europe) Now on the long haul nonstop from Seattle to Frankfurt I'll have a 6''4" flat bed (actually I got the one seat in business that has even more inches on top of that 6'4, thanks to a tip from a frequent LH traveler.)

When I go to Europe I usually take the wonderful high speed trains intra-europe rather than fly. Live and learn!

Here are a couple of links that describe Lufthansa intra-Europe Business Class and have photos:

http://boardingarea.com/onemileatatime/2013/08/05/review-lufthansa-business-class-frankfurt-to-nice/

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=743808&page=4

Last cruise, it seemed that most of the guys either had late seating in the MDR or were in Blu and went to dinner after 8:00 PM. So we all sort drifted off to dinner from the Martini Bar together at around the same time.

Bart -

All previous cruises for me have been traditional MDR late seating, usually at 8:30 pm (except on Norwegian, where you have "anytime dining" throughout the ship using their reservation system for each dining venue). I'm really looking forward to a flexible dinning experience on Celebrity. I may find myself never wanting to go back. :D

Between our dining package and free specialty dining certificates, Iain and I will be in Blu for 8 of the 15 nights at dinner. That does not account for any dinners consummed in the MDR. Assuming that I enjoy the Blu experience, I can see future bookings in Aqua without feeling the need to dine in a specialty venue.

Anyway, I think I am drifting off topic.... being able to "go with the flow" will be nice since this vacation is all about not wanting to be confined to too many plans or being anywhere at a certain time (except specialty dining timeslots).

Iain and I also like to attend shows if they sound interesting. Having flexible dining will assist in flowing from a show to dinner, etc.

If any of you have dined in your stateroom or suite while on a cruise, I'd be interested to hear what comments you have had (positive or negative). Also, if you have used a butler before on Celebrity, I would like to hear your thoughts.

I have experienced butler service on Norwegian (in a Haven suite) and it was quite nice. The butler on our Norwegian cruise was part of a team of butlers that provided servcie in the Haven and the service was excellent. Until recently, I did not know that for each suite on a Celebrity cruise ship you have a dedicated butler for your suite. If you have knowledge or experience with that, I'd enjoy hearing your comments and perspectives.

Walter

Mel & Paul here. Will be cruising with you folks.

Has anyone heard about the formal nights - dates?

Anyone traveling Aqua Class - wondering about the suites and if they are worth being on a busier deck?

Mel & Paul -

Welcome to the thread and the ship... quite exciting as it is fast approaching. I'd be interested in know the formal nights as well.

Most of the LGBT travelers that have posted here have all commented in the past 20+ pages that they have booked in Aqua... so to answer your question, Blu will be overrun with us boys (and ladies).

Not sure what your other question is getting at... if you clarify, maybe we can help you out. Are you in a GTY room without your room number assignment? Once that assignment has been made, you can look to see where you are on the ship (which deck, forward, center, or aft) and if other rooms in the same category are available and more to your liking, you can work with Celebrity (or your travel agent) to request moving to a different room. I hope this helps some.

There is the main roll call thread that is worth visiting, but over 255 pages as of today. Lots of information to catch up on if you have the time to read through it all. Also, there is a special website for the cruisers that has some really good information available.

Don't forget to sign up for the Celebrity "Connections" meet and greet. There is also a "sailaway" planned for the group that will happen immediately after the muster drill on deck 15 aft (Bart, correct me if I am wrong).

Walter

Mel & Paul here. Will be cruising with you folks.

Has anyone heard about the formal nights - dates?

Anyone traveling Aqua Class - wondering about the suites and if they are worth being on a busier deck?

Welcome aboard, Guys! A whole bunch of us are in Aqua, so you'll have lots of company. I don't know if anyone has been in an AQ suite before, as they are only on the Reflection, but a couple of the guys are in suites. People on the main boards say they weren't bothered by noise.

Bart -

All previous cruises for me have been traditional MDR late seating, usually at 8:30 pm (except on Norwegian, where you have "anytime dining" throughout the ship using their reservation system for each dining venue). I'm really looking forward to a flexible dinning experience on Celebrity. I may find myself never wanting to go back. :D

Between our dining package and free specialty dining certificates, Iain and I will be in Blu for 8 of the 15 nights at dinner. That does not account for any dinners consummed in the MDR. Assuming that I enjoy the Blu experience, I can see future bookings in Aqua without feeling the need to dine in a specialty venue.

Anyway, I think I am drifting off topic.... being able to "go with the flow" will be nice since this vacation is all about not wanting to be confined to too many plans or being anywhere at a certain time (except specialty dining timeslots).

Iain and I also like to attend shows if they sound interesting. Having flexible dining will assist in flowing from a show to dinner, etc.

We love Blu, Walter, for a couple of reasons: it's a beautiful room, it's fairly intimate (like being on a small ship), the service is very personal, and we really like the food. I know that food is a personal thing, but we thought it was very, very good (except for one unfortunate pork chop!). We like to eat in the MDR for lunch on sea days, but Bob dislikes the MDR, as he finds it too loud, too crowded and too hectic. There are little things in Blu, too. Food is cooked to order, as opposed to mass produced as in the MDR. Each dish is brought out individually, as opposed to a bunch of those covered stainless things on a big tray. And the non-liquid ingredients in your soup arrive in the bowl, while the liquid is in a small carafe shaped like a bud vase. The waiter pours the soup liquid in front of you. We've eaten in good restaurants all over, and the food in Blu was mostly right up there. I'm hoping Blu on the Reflection maintains those standards.

We were never rushed and prefer to linger over dinner. But the waiters always seemed to know what pace we wanted. When Bob got up to use the men's room, the staff noticed and upon his return, his chair was pulled out, he was seated and his napkin placed on his lap. We celebrated our anniversary on the Solstice two years ago and a friend surprised us with a very large and very fancy cake. Then all the waiters and the assistant maitre "d sang Happy Anniversary. We shared the cake with many of the diners

As for going with the flow, it's nice knowing you don't have to stop what you're doing to rush off to dinner. There are tables of varying sizes (though most are for two) so if you want to dine with others, the staff will accommodate you. And be sure not to miss breakfast in Blu; it's wonderful, IMHO (love the chocolate danish!).

If any of you have dined in your stateroom or suite while on a cruise, I'd be interested to hear what comments you have had (positive or negative). Also, if you have used a butler before on Celebrity, I would like to hear your thoughts.

I have experienced butler service on Norwegian (in a Haven suite) and it was quite nice. The butler on our Norwegian cruise was part of a team of butlers that provided servcie in the Haven and the service was excellent. Until recently, I did not know that for each suite on a Celebrity cruise ship you have a dedicated butler for your suite. If you have knowledge or experience with that, I'd enjoy hearing your comments and perspectives.

Walter

Walter, friends were in a Sky Suite two years ago and we stopped by one afternoon for afternoon snacks. In our AQ2 cabin, our room attendant brought Bob shrimp cocktail every afternoon. Our friends' butler brought sandwiches, cakes, pastries, coffee and tea. He brought them cappucinos in the morning, too and if I remember correctly, room service meals were served course by course. I think they only did that once, though. We had no complaints with our room attendants; they smilingly fulfilled all our requests. I just left post-it notes on the mirror and it was done!

Mel & Paul -

Welcome to the thread and the ship... quite exciting as it is fast approaching. I'd be interested in know the formal nights as well.

Most of the LGBT travelers that have posted here have all commented in the past 20+ pages that they have booked in Aqua... so to answer your question, Blu will be overrun with us boys (and ladies).

Not sure what your other question is getting at... if you clarify, maybe we can help you out. Are you in a GTY room without your room number assignment? Once that assignment has been made, you can look to see where you are on the ship (which deck, forward, center, or aft) and if other rooms in the same category are available and more to your liking, you can work with Celebrity (or your travel agent) to request moving to a different room. I hope this helps some.

There is the main roll call thread that is worth visiting, but over 255 pages as of today. Lots of information to catch up on if you have the time to read through it all. Also, there is a special website for the cruisers that has some really good information available.

Don't forget to sign up for the Celebrity "Connections" meet and greet. There is also a "sailaway" planned for the group that will happen immediately after the muster drill on deck 15 aft (Bart, correct me if I am wrong).

Walter

Good answer, Walter! You're right about sail away. It's at the Sunset Bar, aft on deck 15.

Walter

We had an Owner's Suite for Mike's last milestone birthday and we had 8 people for dinner once. It was a great experience except that all the food arrives at once.

We had an Owner's Suite for Mike's last milestone birthday and we had 8 people for dinner once. It was a great experience except that all the food arrives at once.

When you say you were in an Owner's Suite, was that a Royal Caribbean cruise ship?

Edited by vulcan1971

Sorry. That was Ocean Princess. We had a table for four inside and one outside so we put them together outside.

Sounds nice. I did a large suite on the Norwegian Pearl for my 40th. My absolute favorite perk was the cappuccino machine located in the dining room.