Review of NCL Star Oct14-21 Bermuda

luv2cruise53

Of course, now I remember, we have been trying to coopt you and take the kids out of school. Has your board picked up any. Ours is so organized and rather fun don't you think?

Kev:cool:

Our board, very little activity :( but hoping it will pick up over the winter. Wish I could have sailed on the 6/9 sailing, but DD is high school aged, and NYS regents are from 6/11- 6/20, so the 6/9 cruise isn't even an option :(

Enjoying the review, keep it coming! Making me miss the Star...

~Michele

Of course, now I remember, we have been trying to coopt you and take the kids out of school. Has your board picked up any. Ours is so organized and rather fun don't you think?

I definitely have to agree with you here, we have a fantastic roll call!

Don't worry OnTheGoMom921, you can prepare for the cruise with us as much as needed and then you can read all about it once we get back which will make you anticipate your cruise even more!

:DSo I scooted down to 5502 and got my useless camera...ever the hopeful and push whir in so fugetaboutit. I turned on the TV and rock of Ages was on the movie channel, I really made a vow to watch this because the stage show is gonna be on the Breakaway. It was at the part where Alex Baldwin kisses Russel Brand. The music was awesome. Shut that off and go to Bridge Channell. It says 72degs and the little navigational line says we are still in New York so I figured it must be 72 degs in NYC. See what a grad student can do with all that education.LOL

I took the elevator in the FWD section all the way to deck 13, one deck below the Bier Garten and scrambled up the stairs to be greeted by a huge crowd both in the Garten and on the pool deck.

2_pool_deck_210-501x373.jpg

The Bier Garten is agreat place for a sail away party and our boards had decided ro meet here with mardi gras beads on so I too had on my Mardi gras beads and was waiting to put faces to names. Plus I am as you can tell a social animal and I was ready to meet some folks too have some fun. Just then I spied the farting princess from my train. I kid you not....I supose it is in the realm of possibility as we were both going to NYC early on a Sunday but come on......My God.....the coincidence is just to laughable. Thank God her and her rail thin hubby were of course in line for the poolside sail away BBQ..... ICBTC (I cannot believe this coincidence)

4b_bier-452x335.jpg

More to come

Well with that shock of the princess I headed immediately to the bar for a...guess....come on....you can say it...yep a frozen mudslide. Then I began searching for a few mardi gras passengers but I didn't see any so I grabbed a spot on the rail and gazed at New York Harbour. At 4:00 on the dot the Gem moved out and when she began to move down the river you get...what?....Baaaaaaawwwmp Baaaaawwmp Baaaawwmp bawmp Bawmp and away she went.

Then it was our turn and we began backing out. We entered the river as well and then Oh forget it ...you know what came next.....So everyone was snapping photos of the NYC skyline and I had no camera so I gazed and took it all in. Some of the best pictures I have seen of a New York City Sail away are on a Jewel Board very close to this board that sailed a week after I did. Rather than coopt those photos I reccommend you check out that site for the best pics. here is the link:;) http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1732193

Edited by luv2cruise53

I am sad that your camera didn't cooperate, but very clever of you to find and snag photos from another site (or direct us there).

Subscribing and glad to be reading along for however long it takes you to write your thrilling review.

DH absolutely HATES the "what should we do now" questioning when we travel with our family, too.... I guess I am just so used to directing everybody all day long I barely even notice it:D

Already learned the "don't buy batteries at the Dollar Store" lesson, but thanks for the reminder! High quality batteries in bulk for the Breakaway!

I am sad that your camera didn't cooperate, but very clever of you to find and snag photos from another site (or direct us there).

Subscribing and glad to be reading along for however long it takes you to write your thrilling review.

DH absolutely HATES the "what should we do now" questioning when we travel with our family, too.... I guess I am just so used to directing everybody all day long I barely even notice it:D

Already learned the "don't buy batteries at the Dollar Store" lesson, but thanks for the reminder! High quality batteries in bulk for the Breakaway!

Hi Sherry, I was wondering when you would show up. I hope the review is not too crass, its just my sense of humor and I hope some people don't get offended.

Glad you moved up on the manifest. Boy we sure slowed down lately on new passengers. Not that like a 120 is not the hugest I have ever heard of.

So I headed to the gangplank and just as I did the Sun came out. It had been rainy and cool all morning but now Sun, and Star. I had on Jeans and a long sleeve due to the weather so I was not feeling very cruisy but I endured and headed into deck 7. All I can say was it was quite ornate and rather breathtaking. The atrium reminded me of the Spirit but it went higher and was larger. Beautiful fountains and quite classy as all NCL ships tend to be. No glitz and Vegas like I am told carnival is famous for. I checked my room number on my boarding pass...again....like it was gonna mysteriously change from porthole 5520 to 12056 or something. I was way way up front in the furthest cabin up except some other poor room 1 up. The swells I expected were gonna be a ride like Splash Mountain. I hope the folks in front of me are not prone to seasickness.

I decided to skip the main dining room for lunch and opted for Blue Lagoon but when I went up the stairs one deck they were not open. I guess 24 hours does not mean 24 hours on embarkation day. Hostess told me only Buffet, Oasis grill and MDR. So I elevated myself in one of those glass suckers up to deck 12. Lots of confused passengers everywhere. We had one of those little and very helpful maps that was great because the Star is big and I was lost...again....and again...and again....I finally found the pool deck after taking a wrong turn and finding myself in front of room 12056....Spooky.....seriously....I turned around and went out to pool after passing through the buffet. Only half the stations were open and I found this unusual for embarkation but that would be the trend for the week.

Buffet was packed and looked unappetizing so hit the pool deck and found it to be quite small and crowded and it had 2 useless looking slides that tended to make it even worse. I walked around a bit and things opened up and got better on the other side which was rather cool with all these tiers and stuff that went up like 3 decks to the Bier Garten. On the Spirit the bier garten had food so I thought I might head up and check out the brats and veinerschnitzel....but no luck...only booze. But a great view of all the comings andd goings.

There was a large contingent of elderly people and no kids. I like the trade off...Apprently parents do not take the kids outta school so early into the year and the elderly know this so you get the vice versa effect. I think I like this better but that opinion may change.....I saw more wheelchairs and hoverrounds in 5 minutes than I did at an early bird dinner at my local all you can eat restaurant at 4:30.

Next Up....Lunch

Kevin,

We were on the ship the week before you..I'm 57 and my husband 61..and I thought the same thing...we were one of the "younger" ones on board..but loved it!!!

So all in all it was a nice sail away. Good weather, the pool DJ girl was spinning some real fun music. The cruise crew were doing some dancing. We all paused at the freedom tower and the cruise director gave a patriotic rendition on how the USA won't be brought down. And we all sang and danced to New York New York. I got a little self conscious wearing the mardi gras beads so in the pocket they went. I wandered around the front of the ship and there were all these alcoves and tiers and it was windy but nice up here. I found the large hot tub and decided this area would be great for sunning later on in the cruise. I never did find the cruise critic sail away though I was not all alone, as I spent a good deal of time chatting and introducing myself to others. After we crossed under the Verrazano it was time to head in as it was getting chilly. Back to room 5502 to relax and get ready for tonite. The movie was The Amazing Spiderman and it was at the scene where Spidey discovers how to use his webs and is trouncing the city buildings. I vowed to watch this as well.

I am gonna sign off for now. Comming tomorrow, Night 1 and Day 2, The Day of the Liver.

Don't forget to set your clocks back tonite.

What a fun review to read just before bedtime! I shall have sweet dreams of me too walking down the secret alcove staircase...I love that staircase and tend to wave a gentle hand to the passengers below ...or kick my legs up as I decline them...depends on my mood, hahaha.

Looking forward to tomorrow to read more about your solo adventure!

coka:D

Hi Sherry, I was wondering when you would show up. I hope the review is not too crass, its just my sense of humor and I hope some people don't get offended.

Glad you moved up on the manifest. Boy we sure slowed down lately on new passengers. Not that like a 120 is not the hugest I have ever heard of.

I am enjoying your sense of humor (of course, you are sure to upset someone on these boards, nothing is forcing them to follow along). Can't wait to read more!:D

It was lonely over at the manifesto while you were away....and then Sandy~oy vey!

So after some snuggling in those luxurious bed linens and checking out all the tube chanels it is now approaching 6:30. I didn't really meet anyone so I decided not to plan a big dinner in one of the 2 MDR's. It's Lobster night according to the menus, but I am from Boston and a caribbean lobster tail is not going to make a difference in my life. As I often do on solo cruises, I usually head to the buffet. Between the variety and the fresh bakery, as well as the carvings and pasta stations I usually do quite well.;)

I checked my Daily, and I noted that I had yellow Highlighted earlier (I bring a highlighter and each time I get a daily I read it and highlight things I want to try and get to) a solo meet and greet at 7:00 PM in the Champagne Bar. So I threw on some Khakis and a polo shirt,and some dock shoes (This dress mode is more than adequate for Freestyle Cruising) and I headed up to the Champagne Bar on deck 6. There were perhaps 20 people milling around the area but I did not necessarily see any solo takers, but I asked the bartender and he told the solo coordinator I was there. I recognized her as the DJ from sail away and I was rather thrilled because she was talent slanted towrds my liking in music. We chatted and she was sympathetic at the lack of solo shows as well as I was. A few minutes later another solo passenger arrived. His name was Gary and he was in his early 20's and from Washington State. The three of us chatted for an hour or so but no more takers arrived. I asked the coordinator if they would hold solo gatherings every night at 7:00. She said they do not generally announce these after the first night and when I asked if they could, she indicated she would put in a request, however she did not know if she could be there. She obviously put in the request as it appeared in the dailies every day. Thank you DJ Girl. Gary had already had dinner so I picked up my frozen mudslide, slid off my stool and slithered up to The Garde Cafe. I would not likely slither often.

Next Up: The Garden Cafe:eek:

I am not going to belabor this dissapointment. You should all know I am a huge fan of NCL Buffets and I often defend them on these boards. I have always found them fresh, diverse, clean, variety laden, and rather tasty in general.

I have sailed NCL 7 times in the past 5 years from the Majesty to the Dream(2) to the Dawn to the Epic to the Spirit to the Star. Never once have I ever encountered a Buffet that I did not thouroughly enjoy.As I said I have fiercly defended them on the boards. I also based solo travel choice because of these dining rooms that allowed me to eat less self consciously.

That Said. The Star Garde Cafe Buffet quite frankly SUCKED.:(

At 8:00 PM there was one section out of 6 open. The breads were stale. There was one pasta station. The dried pork carving was cardboard. The soup was cold and was not a chilled soup but Cream of Broccoli with no broccoli.Ther were no ethnic selections. No roast beef , ham or turkey in the deli section, no diet salad dressing. Only one potatoe choice, 1 rice choice and one vegetable. AND ON AND ON and on.

Before loyalists go slamming me saying I went to late, I didn't ask, I chose wrong Let me say this. A buffet closes at 9:30. It should be hot, fresh and available till the end. There is no time frame on a buffet. I shouldn't have to ask. I couldn't choose wrong cause there was nothing to choose.

I left the plate on the table and left in disgust.This has never happened to me before.:confused:

As I walked away I prayed they would improve for breakfast as I really love the breakfast buffets on NCL.

Nuff Said!:o

Next Up: Blue Lagoon

I am enjoying your fun review so much. Too bad your camera broke. I'd have loved to see your pictures.

I'm sorry the buffet sucked. I'm hoping things get better for you.

Thank you NY Girl. I follow your posts all the time. I know we both love NCL and are loyal. I am sorry if I rant about some things. I only rant if something in MHO is rantworthy.

Things can't get any better. I love the Star. I just find some inconsitencies from other NCL...but if you wait a little bit and follow along you will see some really high praise for the Star that lacked on other NCL ships.

When I review I hold nothing back, either rant or rave and in the end you will see the Star as all NCL ships ends up a rave.

I notice the Staten Island Tag on your profile. Are you OK? I hope you are....It is devastating to see the destruction of your island. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your friends and family.

Kev

Thank you NY Girl. I follow your posts all the time. I know we both love NCL and are loyal. I am sorry if I rant about some things. I only rant if something in MHO is rantworthy.

Things can't get any better. I love the Star. I just find some inconsitencies from other NCL...but if you wait a little bit and follow along you will see some really high praise for the Star that lacked on other NCL ships.

When I review I hold nothing back, either rant or rave and in the end you will see the Star as all NCL ships ends up a rave.

I notice the Staten Island Tag on your profile. Are you OK? I hope you are....It is devastating to see the destruction of your island. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your friends and family.

Kev

Kev don't apologize for your rant. Nobody expects every cruise and cruise ship to be perfect. Imagine how boring it would be. You need some diversity in your life..it helps with growth!

I am fine. I was a little worried because we only moved here a year ago after living in the same house in Brooklyn for over 30 years and knowing every nook and cranny. But this house held up like a champ and we only experienced several power outages and now a gas shortage. We are in the center of Staten Island and there's devastation all around us here in the low lying areas.

I am still waiting to even cruise on NCL!! My first cruise is next Sunday believe it or not. We then have a group going on the Breakaway next August and I booked the Owners Suite for next December on the Gem.

I will review my Jewel cruise next week.

I am really enjoying your writing style and I'm actually picturing you going to all of these venues. Your description of the buffet really had me feeling bad for you.

I can't wait for you to continue!

I call this The Blue Lagoon Redemption (like a Robert Ludlum book title) because I was 110% fully impressed.

As many of you may know the Blue Lagoon is a 24 hour light meal type restaurant. They are usually known for their wings. On the EPIC and new ships it is O'Sheehans pub but essentially the same thing.It is full service and not a buffet.

At a little after 8:00 PM I decided to give it a whirl. I had thoroughly enjoyed this venue on past ships and the Star did not disappoint. It is located on deck 8, overlooking the atrium and is across form Moderno Churascaria. I approached the hostess stand and was immediately greeted with a smile and a welcome. I noticed there were about 20 tables dining, about 1/2 full.I saw that along the rails overlooking there were a few step down alcoves. I asked for a table there and was led there in style by a hostess, the waitress and the busboy.(What great service). The Hostess gave me a menu. The busboy filled my water and cleared the extra service and the waitress asked me if I would like to start with a drink. What do you think people out there? Did Kev need a drink? Double yup. and you all know what I ordered. That's right a frozen Banana Banshee!!! I got ya didn't I? I do have some variety in my life.

Anyways I glanced around and I cannot tell you how aestetically pleasing everything was. The decor of the atrium, the lights and the jazz combo playing. It was like being in a 5 star hotel in their finest lounge areas.

5_blue-464x344.jpg

So I opened the attractive menu and perused the offerings. There is not a great deal of variety but it seemed appealing so I decided on my order.

There were about 4-5 appetizers including

Tomato Basil Soup I'll Take that please! and

Buffalo Wings I'll Take that please! mild small order

Grilled Hot dog I'll Take that please!

There were also standard comfort food choices and all in all a good variety from Spinach and artichoke dip to fish and chips and grilled chicken sandwiches and burgers.

No rush here, my drink came by my waitress and the hostess brought my soup. Soup and drink were superb. Both were creamy and one was hot and one was cold. duh.

The soup had a great slightly tangy flavor and was topped with croutons.

Delish as always on an NCL 24 hour.

Soup was cleared by busboy and waitress placed the wings. I saw one small ramekin of bleu cheese for about ten wings so I begged for more, which arrived in a large ramekin in a jiff.

What can I say about NCL wings. Well they are about the best I have ever had, anywhere, hands down. They bake them first then quick fry em befor brushing not dunking on the sauce. What you end up with is a crispy, but juicy and very meaty and perfectly sauced piece of bird.

Nuff Said.

The Hot dog arrivede when I was half way finished with my wings which I consider perfect timing.

It was not your standard dog. It was a little bigger and fat and juicy. It had sauteed onions on it but I brushed em aside. It's not that I don't like sauteed onions-just not on a dog. It was accompanied by shoestring french fries. (Can you say Mc'Donalds)

All I can say is everything was exccelent from the service to the ambience to the food. Kudos...Blue Lagoon

I turned down dessert even though they practically begged me to try it

I would not have been able to tip had I not had a drink but I did have a drink and I tipped generously more for the service overall than the drink itself, which was great. (Note) If you do not have a drink in an MDR then you will have no bill and thus no opportunity to tip extra. Cash is forbidden and by this point your wallet or purse should be in the safe unless you are planning on the casino.

Next up: The Star Bar Not the StarDust

Thanks again for this wonderful review! So, when I go on Epic, if I eat in the MDR, or O Sheehans, and dont have a drink, but I have exceptional service, I cant just leave a few dollars on the table? If that so...I will just have to order a drink:D Chances are that I would order a glass or two of something with dinner anyway. But if that is what I have to do, to leave an extra tip, it works for me! Thanks for the info.:)

So after that delightful meal, I had the option of going to the 1st Night show or the Star Bar at 9:00. From past experience I have found that except for the EPIC it has generally been a synopsis of what shows were going on all week. The freestyle daily said as much so there was no yellow highlight here.This is not to say they were my only option, God NO there was stuff going on evreywhere and much sounded great. That is why I bring the highlighter so I can find my best and not get overwhelmed. Quite frankly I was pooped, not (booped) and by the way the boo booo boooop's had diminished considerably and were no longer heard in the cabins. So I opted for the Star Bar on deck 12 in the same area as Cagney's. I entered and found this to be gorgeous. All I can say is Gorgeous. A space for say maybe 60-70 people. Comfortable low tables and leather chairs. A nice Bar andd a Grand Piano(heres those pianos again.) The best feature were floor to ceiling windows overlooking the pool deck, which at night is quite attractive lighting wise(exception here is when they make the palms go schizoid i.e flashing and chasing white lights)

4b_star2-436x322.jpg

The Piano Player had just started and he was running through some seriously good jazzy numbers. This was heaven at the top of the ship folks. (Do not miss)

So I sat down with a group of like minded and like aged folks in the corner and introduced myself. A waitress hurried over and asked me what I wanted to drink. So of course I ordered......a gran marnier snifter and a double espresso. Got ya again didn't I....Variety folks...thats me.

Very nice time. Eventually by 9:30 it filled up and the piano player thrilled us all with his talent.

However;

I was now falling asleep in my Gran Marnier. I had been up since 4:00 AM so I said my goodnights and elevated down to 5502. I turned on the TV and Rock of Ages was on, the part where Alex Baldwin was kissing Russel Brand....LOL..I had an elephant for a towel animal and I went to take a picture...push ..whir in...LOL

What a day...

Up Next: Day 2....the day of the liver

Thanks again for this wonderful review! So, when I go on Epic, if I eat in the MDR, or O Sheehans, and dont have a drink, but I have exceptional service, I cant just leave a few dollars on the table? If that so...I will just have to order a drink:D Chances are that I would order a glass or two of something with dinner anyway. But if that is what I have to do, to leave an extra tip, it works for me! Thanks for the info.:)

As far as I know there is no cash allowed anywhere except in the casino's

I have been told that the reason for this is they must still split

OH OH OH....The exception besdides Casino is your Cabin Steward. I always and did give my cabin steward 20 at start and 20 at end of cruise because they deserve it regardless of the DSC daily service charge.

Maybe the restaurants and bars can take cash but I have never heard or seen anything to that effect.

Great job on the review...funny, witty, smart and informative. Can't wait for more! Quick question...I really love a view when I dine, so, must one arrive early so as to be seated at a great table (we're a party of 3)? Which dining venue offers the best views while seated? Which drinking establishments? Waiting for the breakfast review, Luv...keep 'em coming! :)

Great job on the review...funny, witty, smart and informative. Can't wait for more! Quick question...I really love a view when I dine, so, must one arrive early so as to be seated at a great table (we're a party of 3)? Which dining venue offers the best views while seated? Which drinking establishments? Waiting for the breakfast review, Luv...keep 'em coming! :)

If you go Early (5:30-6:30)then you will usually snag a window. Lets see......Bear with me...and I could be wrong so not a done deal. MDR has huge and many windows...good chance here. Aqua has some but not as many...some on the left and some on the right. Ginza has lots of windows opening to the Port Side promenade. Cagneys...Dunno...Le Bistro no windows but an outdoor cafe seating area.La Cucina...I believe so but not sure.