group sales with rccl

Doing a wedding cruise but not booking the wedding with rccl, however we will utilize the group services. Does anyone have any experience booking a group of 10-30 people? I believe they offer you different options of perks for you to take as the primary bookee. Any advice on some perks better than others? I realize its quite subjective but just wondering if anyone might have a thought. thanks

Doing a wedding cruise but not booking the wedding with rccl, however we will utilize the group services. Does anyone have any experience booking a group of 10-30 people? I believe they offer you different options of perks for you to take as the primary bookee. Any advice on some perks better than others? I realize its quite subjective but just wondering if anyone might have a thought. thanks

We've had groups before, but have always used a travel agent. This was a good method for us as the agent knew the details of group bookings and handled many issues that come up when booking so many people.

I organize a group cruise every 2 years on RCI. First, I would suggest that you work with an independent travel agent. They can assist with all the details and bookings. They really are invaluable when you are working with a group.

Second, the cruise line offers 1 free berth per 8 cabins booked. That means out of the 8 cabins, one person (the group leader) can go for just the cost of port charges and taxes. The free berth is also priced based on the average type of cabin booked. If you have 3 balconies and 5 inside cabins, the free berth will be based on the inside cabin cost.

Third, the cruise line also provides GAP (Group Amenity Program) points. The less popular the ship or time of year, the more points. The more popular the ship and time of travel, the less points. Some travel agents take these points, convert them to cash and take an extra commission. This is something that you will want to discuss with your travel agent up front. If you advise that you are aware that this is a benefit for the group, they will have a hard time taking the extra commission.

You can convert your GAP points to private cocktail parties (usually 1 hour) or other types of perks. We, however, convert our points to shipboard credits for each cabin (anywhere from $50 to $100 per cabin). Or, as in the case of Port Canaveral, we used the GAP points for the bus to and from the Orlando airport. Again, your travel agent can go through the options. I googled RCI's GAP options and came up with this page:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/10021360_GAP_Amenity_2011.pdf

As you can see from the link, it was from 2011 but should give you an idea. Your travel agent can tell you how many GAP points are available for the cruise you want to do.

Even if you are unsure if you have the full 8 cabins in your group, it doesn't hurt to set up the group from the get go. If it doesn't work out, they will just be linked reservations OR the travel agent may have people that they can book into the group to reach the 8 cabins.

I also recommend booking a group cruise through a TA. My friend was doing a vow renewal and she asked me for my TA's info to help her organize everything. Not only did she get the GAP amenity as mentioned above from Royal, she also got other extra amenity from the agent.

And yes, you do get a free berth for every eight rooms, but think of it as an additional credit, because you still have to pay government taxes and port charges, so it's not really one person can sail free.

Archived