Hotel In Fort Lauderdale

MikeDMess

We are staying at the Hampton Inn Airport before our cruise in November. They will pick you up at the airport, serve a hot breakfast the next morning and take you to the pier--all for $89. We thinks that's great and the hotel is less than 3 years old.

We stayed at the Renaissance - it's right near the port entrance and about a 2 block walk to the water taxi. About two blocks the other way is a mini mall with a Publix. Hotel was fairly new, quiet and clean. No shuttle - but cab ride to ship was under $10. We got the room bidding on Priceline 4* downtown. Going to bid for it again for our November cruise.

I have stayed twice at the Marriott Hotel and Marina both compliments of priceline. First time paid $52 for a Sunday night stay and 2nd time paid $75 for a Saturday night stay. Also have received the Radisson for $100 also compliments of priceline.

Both these hotels are excellent, but I do have to say I like the Marriott over the Radisson, but both hotels are excellent for a pre or post cruise stay.

Both hotels also are on the water taxi line, which is great. The Radisson does not provide any shuttles what so ever, but is close to both the airport and the pier. The Marriott does offer a free shuttle from the hotel to the pier, but nothing from the airport to the hotel. A taxi cab to the Marriott from the airport should run you about $13 or so.

If you are not familiar with priceline, here are two web sites that will explain how priceline works: http://www.biddingforfun.com and http://www.biddingfortravel.com both are a wealth of information.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please ask or check out the hotel board.

Our favorite FLL hotel for pre and post cruise stays is Hyatt Pier 66. Full service resort with beautiful grounds. Wonderful roof top revolving lounge with a terrific view of Port Everglades and all the ships.

It is ten minutes from the airport and less than that to Port Everglades.

Doone is right on! Priceline is the only way to go. We got Renaissance (4*) for $58 per night for our precruise in August. Actually, I would much prefer the Marriott Marina (3*). Search this forum under Fort Lauderdale hotels. There are about 1000 emails on this topic.

Our favorite FLL hotel for pre and post cruise stays is Hyatt Pier 66. Full service resort with beautiful grounds. Wonderful roof top revolving lounge with a terrific view of Port Everglades and all the ships.

It is ten minutes from the airport and less than that to Port Everglades.

SAILS7---So glad you mentioned the 66. My father and step-mom stayed there before their Princess cruise and said that there is a coffee shop in the hotel but the main restaurant for dinner is not in the hotel and you have to walk outside a good distance to eat in another building? What if it rains? Not sure I like that. We would like to go from the cocktail lounge right into the restaurant.

SAILS7---So glad you mentioned the 66. My father and step-mom stayed there before their Princess cruise and said that there is a coffee shop in the hotel but the main restaurant for dinner is not in the hotel and you have to walk outside a good distance to eat in another building? What if it rains? Not sure I like that. We would like to go from the cocktail lounge right into the restaurant.

Grill 66 is on the grounds as you indicate. It really is very close to the main entry to the hotel lobby. (We walk it in less about 3 minutes.) In the event you do not wish to take the very short walk, they have golf carts to drive you and you would be there in about a minute. I'm sure they have large 'doormen' umbrellas if needed.

Grill 66 is a new renovation from their former restaurant. The food/service/setting is excellent IMO

The restaurant in the hotel I suppose could be called a coffee shop but they have a rather full menu. It is more than just sandwiches. You can have a full, nice dinnner there. Also....they serve a wonderful breakfast IMO

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites, and found it a good value for the money. Cooked breakfast is served, and the hotel manager hosts a reception in the evening. Our room had a small balcony, but it was on the wrong side to see any but a small portion of the port.

They just thought it a very odd arrangement for a Hyatt. The restaurant in the hotel was right in the lobby area across from the gift shop in a very public area and was practically empty during dinner, though busy at breakfast when they ate there. I wonder if some guests even realize there is a restaurant in another building. Most people seemed to be leaving the hotel grounds for dinner which is what they did by taxi. The separate restaurant building seemed to them to be more associated with the yacht docking facilities than with the hotel.

Just their impression.

The 'yacht docking facilities' you mention are the Marina at Pier 66. Some fabulous yachts from around the world dock there. The docking area runs along the rear of the restaurant.

We also leave the hotel to go to some of the many excellent restaurants in the area. We dine in Grille 66 and we dine elsewhere as well. Way too many great places to eat to only stick with going to the same place each time we are in FLL.

Not all properties suit all people and that is fine. We have stayed in this hotel at least 2 dozen times (probably more than that) and always look forward to returning. It is more to us than just a place to spend a night before/after our cruises. We almost always spend a minimum four days there each cruise we take out of FLL.

Have stayed at the Embassy Suites many times - both pre and post cruise.

Begining this fall, floors 8 - 12 will be completely done over. They will work on one section at a time. New furniture, bathtubs, sinks, carperting - everything. Each room will be litterly gutted and done over completely.

We too have stayed at the Holiday Expresss on 17 the Ave, and it was fine.We both feel it has changed slightly over the years,needs a redo.Love the bigger ones across the street but as always the trade off is the price.Wanted to ask,since this year we are meeting friends and they will park at the Port.do you need to make reservations for parking and how do they go about that??????Thanks for any help.

No reservations for parking at the port. It's a large, covered parking garage directly across the road from the ship. We always park there for our HAL cruises. Charge is $12/day, pay when you exit, and they accept credit cards. DH just pulls up in front of the entrance to the terminal, leaves me off with the luggage which the porters take, he parks the car and then walks the short distance back to the terminal. Very convenient and only for cruise passengers (no public parking).

We've stayed twice at the Marriott Marina, once on the pre-cruise deal for $200 plus in Feb, when the Ft Lauderdale hotel prices are obscene. Here's what you get: upgraded balcony room overlooking the poll-intercoastal. and included $40 breakfast credit (room service is the best way to spend the 40, imho) and a shuttle to the ship. Hey I have seen folks post that their room in this same hotel from priceline was a cheap room in the "annex." Why scrimp on the room the night before the cruise? Book at www.marriott.com

The hotels near the port have become increasingly expensive over the past year. I've stayed in the Embassy Suites and found it very nice. The Marriott Harbor Beach Resort (a short taxi ride from the beach) is admazing in every regard, including the prices!

At the other end of the scale, a month ago I stayed at the La Quinta Airport and found it very nice, a solid 2-star with free airport and cruise shuttles, free breakfast and a vast amount of nearby shopping and eateries at the Oakwood (strip) mall. It's a "big box" mall so expect a long walk between stores, but there were many shopping options there. Also, A multiplex and a Dave and Busters means there's things to do in the evening. Hotel an neighborhood is a tad faded but overall very nice, and I would stay here again. Not as convenient as the hotels right by the port mind you, but a solid deal if you strikeout on priceline and hotwire.

I have stayed at the Marriott twice as my above post indicates, both times compliments of priceline. So far I have never had a bad room, asked for a tower room, they were able to accomodate me. Also had a beautiful room overlooking the pool. If anyone had a lousy room, I can't say it was all due to booking with priceline, perhaps the hotel was sold out.

If you want to save a buck or two, use priceline, you'll probably get the same room and service as the people next door to you who paid full price, who knows. I just know so far I am extremely happy with priceline.

I second that. Have used Priceline at least 7 or 8 times in Fort Lauderdale. Last Jan. 2 or 3 we stayed at Marriott Marina. I had phoned the hotel directly after receiving the hotel thru PL and asked for 3 rooms together in the tower facing the port. They were sold out (orange bowl) but gave us what we asked for with no mention of PL. The hotel is terrific (paid $55/room). In March pre-cruise (spring break) we got the Rennaisance for $70/room. Again, we needed the rooms together and the desk was very nice. both hotels are beautiful and convenient.

Archived