IE sold

carolynne15

Hi everyone we're back home after our cruise on Oriana.....we were in Rhodes the same time as IE and she was looking good......can't believe she is sold although she has been for sale for a while....but why then was she refurbished (or was that to make her a more attractive buy?)

We will be sorry to see her go, if that's what happens, as she was a good ship and we enjoyed our cruises on her....fabulous staff, entertainment and passengers of course!!:D

It will be interesting to hear what Mr Ellacott has to say on the subject!!

So, Ellacott says that IE being sold is only rumours online, and that crew haven't been made redundant. What did you think of his response?

Just to set the record straight before I get stuck into this question, we didn't get rid of Island Star. In fact, Island Cruises was a joint venture between First Choice and Royal Caribbean, and the Island Cruises fleet was broken up us part of the merger deal. We got Island Escape, while Island Star went back to Royal Caribbean. We've spent tens of millions of pound on Island Escape since we took her on in 2009, albeit mostly on the technical side. And we've had some great feedback about the work we did on her last winter - replacing the carpets and some of the soft furnishings.

At the moment, we're not thinking about expanding the Island fleet but the Island product is very popular so it's something we might look at in the future.

As for the sale rumours. They are just that, rumours. We get enquiries from time to time and, as you know, this isn't the first it's been a hot topic on the internet. Obviously, we can't discuss commercial information like this but rest assured we'll let our customers know if our circumstances change. The crew have certainly not been laid off. Island Escape isn't in service for the winter so their contracts have naturally come to an end. The agency they work for will be working with them to find them roles for the winter season.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you seen the new rumour on Facebook RR? It seems that the rumour now is IE isn't sold, but will leave the fleet when Thomson receive their newbuild, and then one of its current ships will transfer to Thomson brand, I guess most likely Majesty as Dream and Celebration are said to be with Thomson for the long-term and Spirit is smaller and older. Would guess that would mean IE will sail until 2015?

Thinking about the ancient Mayan calendar predicting the end of the Island Escape, I have realised we have just passed a critical date… That of the Thomson’s £10 for “Major changes to your holiday for which we will pay compensation unless the change is for reasons beyond our control” paid out for changes made within 84 days of the start of a cruise… I think the 84 day mark to the first 2013 I.E. cruise on 13th May was passed a couple of days ago. Goes to show those Mayan crew members were worried for nothing. ;)

RR you haven’t really cancelled your bargain I.E. cruise next summer have you? That really would be the end of an era.

Thinking about the ancient Mayan calendar predicting the end of the Island Escape, I have realised we have just passed a critical date… That of the Thomson’s £10 for “Major changes to your holiday for which we will pay compensation unless the change is for reasons beyond our control” paid out for changes made within 84 days of the start of a cruise… I think the 84 day mark to the first 2013 I.E. cruise on 13th May was passed a couple of days ago. Goes to show those Mayan crew members were worried for nothing. ;)

RR you haven’t really cancelled your bargain I.E. cruise next summer have you? That really would be the end of an era.

I meant 13th March... Never been any good with Mayan calendars :o

Archived