Giving MIL a Cruise for Chistmas need ideas!

cruise_pirate

My MIL LOVES to cruise, but due to the economy she lost her job and cannot afford to cruise.

So this year we decied to take her along. We will be giving this trip to her as her Christmas present, and would like to know if you were doing this how would you surprise her with it??

Looking for creative ideas here! ;)

Thanks!

Does she live close to you? If so, sneak in her house and leave things laying around on her counter: roll of quarters, sunscreen, beach hat, travel size bathroom items, water wallet, beach bag. Put things out just now and then. She'll wonder where they came from. Do this leading up till Christmas. Then you can tell her all those things that she was finding she can take with her!

Hi we are doing the same thing but for our 2 dds ages 19 and 15. The ideas I have so far below, but other are wanted so that we can go with the best best option.

So far- 1 Jigsaw made from a picture of the cruise and date

2. Pass the parcel (xmas addition were there are small gifts for the other wrapped in each layer but the final layer will be for them. 1 each the first saying we are off to florida and busch gardens and then the 2nd for the cruise.

3 treasure hunt with clues through the house (prob only any use for my dds and not your mil.

4 wrapping up some beach stuff seperately with each having a a large letter and eventualy the last gift saying work out the anagram from the letters.

5. Puzzle box with the gift inside- warning we did last year with money and my eldest took all day to get into her.

6. If you have any young kids that are going to visit santa, you could take your MIL with you and have prearanged for him to call your mil over and give her her gift

I have surprised my husband with 2 trips over the last few years.

First one--surprise trip to San Fran to see his favorite NFL team--the 49ers. For this one, I made up a scavenger hunt and bought items that were actually clues to his main gift! He had no idea. I got items for him like a new 49ers hat, new 49er's shirt, etc.

Second one--just this year. I surprised him with a trip to Vegas. For this one, I had a surprise birthday party for him and about every 10 minutes, I had someone walk up to him and give him a "present". They were actually clues to the trip. For the reveal, I did a color booklet and it had printed pictures and descriptions of everything he would be doing and seeing. (Going to Nascar race, staying at Four Seasons, going to the Grand Canyon & renting a ferrari for a day). He was speechless! Best part was all of our family and friends were there for it too!

Other we have done in the past

Inside Xmas cracker (but these are very hard to trak down in the US)

Inside the Xmas Pudding - It used to be the done thing to hide trinkets inside Xmas pud in the UK - not done now because of health and safety, but we have added in a surprise into them in the past as long as you watch every mouthfull that the person with the surprise puts into their mouth.

All GREAT ideas everyone! She lives about 10 minutes from us so sneaking into her house is probably not a good idea LOL. She has never gotten anything like this so I want to make it special for her;)

Her Birthday is the 23rd of Dec.. So after she gets the Cruise, we will give her a birthday card with the airline tickets inside!:D

Thanks for all your input!

Lonnie

I did this for my mom last Christmas...booked a Caribbean cruise for her and I in April 2012. I ordered a Caribbean 2013 calendar and wrote 'CRUISE WITH LAURA' on the week we would be cruising. I also ordered plastic luggage tag holders (that hold the paper tags we print out from CCL website) and gave her 2. I had her open the calendar 1st and she was like "oh...a calendar...I already have 1, but thanks" and I told her to check out the month of April because it was a really pretty beach. She saw what I wrote and was shocked. I also booked us a balcony but told her it was just an inside. She was super surprised when she opened the door to our cabin and walked over to the curtain to see the balcony. It was her 1st balcony and she LOVED it. We had a great cruise.

I did this for my mom last Christmas...booked a Caribbean cruise for her and I in April 2012. I ordered a Caribbean 2013 calendar and wrote 'CRUISE WITH LAURA' on the week we would be cruising. I also ordered plastic luggage tag holders (that hold the paper tags we print out from CCL website) and gave her 2. I had her open the calendar 1st and she was like "oh...a calendar...I already have 1, but thanks" and I told her to check out the month of April because it was a really pretty beach. She saw what I wrote and was shocked. I also booked us a balcony but told her it was just an inside. She was super surprised when she opened the door to our cabin and walked over to the curtain to see the balcony. It was her 1st balcony and she LOVED it. We had a great cruise.

The Calendar is an AWESOME idea!!! Going to use this as one of them for sure probably the way to break it to her like you did!! LOVE IT!!!!:):):)

just came across another idea - this is the one I will put inside the Xmas pass the parcel.

You can have beach flip flops made with photos of your choice on them. On one of the girls we are putting a Busch garden photo on them and on the other a photo of the ship.

They are then getting the trips from there granparents again these will be photo gifts as jigsaws.

If you are giving her the cruise as an early Christmas present ... I would find a small tree and decorate it with cruise and beach stuff. Wrap it in a big box and give it to her as her early present. Maybe on Thanksgiving?

Oops...was a 2012 calendar.

One year my parents surprised my husband and me with a cruise for Christmas! First they handed me a rolled up paper tied with a ribbon. I opened it and found plane tickets to Florida. I was thrilled to simply get tickets to go to Florida. Then they said there was more, and they handed me a bag. Inside the bag was a Princess Cruise catalogue with a page bookmarked, indicating our cruise. I couldn't believe it! I was shocked and excited! The cruise was leaving in a month, and my parents had already gotten permission from my husband's boss that he could take the week off from work. I don't know how everyone was able to keep it a secret for so long.

Since you are giving the 'cruise' on Christmas - I would do the 'tree' thing. But start with an empty 'tree' or even picture of a tree. Instead of 'decorating' before have hints in envelopes or 'bags' with things to attach to decorate and hint about the cruise. The last could be a 'luv u' and time to make some memories message.

What ever you decide - don't forget that first picture when she gets the cruise. You may want to put a 'remember' this 'book' together.

Archived