Have you sailed on a Solstice class ship in an area with a cooler climate?

EngSet

Getting ready for our first cruise to Alaska in September 2013 on the Solstice.

Curious about any areas of the ship that might be "closed" due to cooler weather. Looking for input/experience from those who have sailed Celebrity Solstice class ships in areas with cooler climates.

For example, was the Lawn Club closed? Assuming that outdoor pools were closed, were lounge chairs still available on deck for passengers?

Anything else that made cruising on a Solstice class ship in cooler weather different from cruising on one in warmer climates?

Thanks in advance for your sharing.

:)

We just cruised from the UK on the eclipse and the first few days were pretty cool and damp. There were deck chairs...there are always deck chairs set up and held down with a rope. The glass show went on as scheduled.....with a somewhat smaller audience since it is outside. The ship provided blankets to wrap around yourself. I actually don't know about the outdoor bars/mast grill because I wasn't going to go out there :) As far as I know, there were no physical areas of the ship closed due to the weather....if you didn't mind being out there, go for it.

All ships get more crowded inside if there is cold/wet weather....the same number of people crowd into fewer bars...they are looking for someplace quiet to read and so on.

The issue with most all cruise ships is that if you want to sit inside and watch the sea, the glaciers, etc. there are fewer and fewer areas to do so. On the other hand, there are more and more balcony cabins so many just stay on their balconies. Those with inside or outside staterooms are probably the most effected....and that's on any ship.

You'll have a great time in Alaska.....

We sailed from NY in Nov on a S class. It is the same as being on any other ship. If it is too windy dangerous areas will be closed off. If it is too rough the pools will be closed. Otherwise If you want to be out in the cold weather there is nothing preventing it.

I think many think Alaska, at least the parts where ships cruise, is snow and ice year round, but that's not the case. I've sailed Alaska in late September and the temps were in the 70's during the day. If it's colder, you just dress appropriately and use the wraps and blankets they provide.

Thanks, everyone, for the info.

Kitty9- Thanks for the reminder about the weather in Alaska.:)

Just wanted to make sure that major parts of the ship would not be closed off during the sailing- such as the Lawn Club. I don't mind being outside when it is cold and am looking forward to seeing Alaska.

Archived