A Guessing Game...... What Is Next?

sail7seas

[quote name=vicocala;36039390

Just because someone takes advantage of a deal doesn't mean that they won't spend money. Now let's kiss and make up or shake hands' date=' whatever it is you do.:)[/quote]

Yes, I do realize EVERYONE won't be like that but I bet a good portion will be that way. I had a colleague of mine that got a trip on the Eurodam last April for about $500 maybe less. Her husband, her daughter and her went on the cruise. I'm sure just the 2 of them paid, the daughter was likely free or paid very little. She told me she didn't spent any money on the cruise (other then HSC). I'm thinking that more likely then it is unlikely.

:( snow!

Two story family cabanas... Im all for cabanas, but beach is getting VERY crowded...

YIKES!!!!!!! I like the cabanas on the ships but that just sounds wrong. I'm SO thankful we'll be the only ship there both weeks.

Yes, we've had about 2 feet of snow in the last few weeks. It's enough to break a person (me anyway).

With HAL being generous with wine and soda, they certainly don't have to. However to really enjoy the places you go, most people will buy shore excursions if they can afford to. Many don't know about this site or that they can get excursions in other locales. They will pay tips at the minimum. Many will buy sodas or drinks. Some will gamble or play Bingo, etc.

I am not naive enough to say everyone will spend a lot of money with HAL, but they will spend some. Supply and demand dictate what HAL can and will charge. I am sure they would much rather charge more if they felt they could do it. The fact is, they would rather almost give the cruise away and get some relief on their fixed costs and hope for the extra spending.

While some of us do get a deal if we are willing to take what is given in room location, other last minute guests pay above average costs if they wait. It is inevitable. The $50.00 thing with Carnival is what would really upset me if I had spent $50-100 thousand dollars over the years.

Just to clarify the poster I quoted was talking about someone ordering 12 filets or 12 shrimp cocktails. I'm sure many people have ordered doubles but has anyone seen someone order 12 of anything?

Well, not 12, but on our last cruise the gentleman at the table next to us ordered 3 main dishes, had them served all at once, and ate a couple of things of each plate and let the rest stand. Such a waste of food. :(

His wife did not have much room for her plate, with all his plates on the table.

I usually do not watch what others do when dining, but this was right next to us, and I remember having difficulty choosing what to order, it all looked so good. My husband was joking, saying I should order it all. Apparantly that is what the gentleman next to us did.:rolleyes:

snip

With all due respect it does take a while to get to 200 days. .[/quote]

We are three star mariners with over 100 days, but on top of paying for good outside, or more recently, well situated balcony cabins, we have huge airfares to add to the cost of our cruises. We do not live in Florida or in California (or even in the USA), so logging fairly inexpensive cruises to the Caribbean or Alaska on a regular basis (bringing in many relatively cheap "days") is not on the cards for us.

We have no problem paying for special coffees in the Explorations Cafe, but would hate to lose the free after dinner espresso and cappucino coffees in the MDR.

I usually don't have dessert. The decaf cappuccino is my dessert. I really enjoyed that after dinner and it was a special treat. While I will probably still order it, I really agree that it really makes HAL make look cheap. Also with all the Mariners on board, HAL is dealing with people who know that was complimentary. HAL is not dealing with newcomers who don't know any better. This is not going to sit well with Mariners who have many sailing days and I am sure there will be many comments on the surveys as well there should be.

I, for one, after my next cruise, am seriously thinking about Oceania.

This may be the deal breaker.

Terri

Hey! We're trying Oceania next. After the Zudierdam cruise we recently went on, we're done. I can't even believe I am saying this. We loved HAL. I keep reading here hoping things are going to change for the better, but so far, it doesn't look that way. It boggles my mind what's been going on in the past year or so. And it's not just one issue or even one ship ... there are all sorts of issues.

Look for it on all the Carnival Corp. lines.......

If they are doing it on HAL, expect it on Princess, Carnival et al

IMO

It makes HAL look cheap and cheesy IMO and I hate using those words to describe HAL but they have sunk to a level I hoped they would not do. To charge for a cup of coffee with breakfast, lunch and dinner.........

I know no one in Seattle will like this post but I am aware of that. It is disappointing to keep removing the touches that made HAL refined, dignified, tasteful and with grace. I understand they are a for profit company but raise the 'dam' prices before you dilute the product to something we don't recognize.

SaB]I'm sorry for those I may be offending but give it some thought, please.[/b]

Sail7Seas - No offence taken - If fact I agree with you 100%. What next, chinet plates in the MDR? Removal of cloth face clothes in the public washrooms. No room service after 9 p.m. Rationing of toilet paper:rolleyes:. No more Yum Yum Boy. No more shower jel, shampoo and conditioner in the bath tub (bring your own). No chocolate on the pillow (hope Ruth doesn't read this). This list could be endless...

I totally agree with Sail as well. And FWIW, I believe one of the next cuts or changes will be to room service..... paying a fee if you order after a certain time of night. That's already done on some cruise lines. RCI being one of them... but we are in the process of booking a cruise with RCI again after being loyal to HAL for quite a few years. Too many of the same issues on too many of the ships, which are being band-aided.

Royal is cutting back too. No lobster on the 3 or 4 night cruises and no escargot. It was explained that the escargot is because of a shortage from their suppliers.:rolleyes:

Their service was very good though and were very attentive to any inquiries. I thought it was cool that they had a "meet the officers" Q&A session in their atrium one afternoon.

Their room service is not as good and they do charge $3.95 for the service after 2:00 AM.

Eventually I think main dining service will be discontinued on all these lines and your choices will be a buffet or specialty dining only. It appears it is beginning to be phased out already.

No one can expect premium service for bargain rates,

Bargain rates??? I beg to differ, HAL's rates are terribly expensive compared to other lines I travel aboard. I've got a SB booked in April and a Penthouse Suite aboard NCL's Breakaway and the NCL fare is an incredible deal, including a private restaurant, pool, spa etc. in the Haven. I continue to cruise HAL longing for the service and amenities I was used to, but I'm afraid those times are long gone.:(

It will be interesting to see if the PS and Deluxe Suite guests will have to pay for the espresso and caapuccino coffees in the Pinnacle for breakfast.

Time will tell.

At this point they are still included.

Imho if you are a suite guest your cappuccino should be included in MDR. You should not have to go to NL or PG breakfast to have it included with a meal.

i am not sure how much others pay for their cruises but i buy mine ahead of final payment and do not find them that cheap.however i have seen pricesdrop dramatically After final. Payment and am told ...tough luck

perhaps that is the problem .Ships are not selling well and therefore companies need to fill them up by slashing prices nearer to sail date .so they lower the price and get rid ofamenities we actually paid for prior to final payment

i think it is sad to nickel and dime everyone ...it does get tiresome

i have heard they charge for water on some ships ...something twice distilled. Which the ship makes

i love my big cappucino in the morning and if no longer free i will get creative

michele

Hey! We're trying Oceania next. After the Zudierdam cruise we recently went on, we're done. I can't even believe I am saying this. We loved HAL. I keep reading here hoping things are going to change for the better, but so far, it doesn't look that way. It boggles my mind what's been going on in the past year or so. And it's not just one issue or even one ship ... there are all sorts of issues.

Please come back and tell us how Oceania was. It's a line we're considering too.

Bargain rates??? I beg to differ, HAL's rates are terribly expensive compared to other lines I travel aboard. I've got a SB booked in April and a Penthouse Suite aboard NCL's Breakaway and the NCL fare is an incredible deal, including a private restaurant, pool, spa etc. in the Haven. I continue to cruise HAL longing for the service and amenities I was used to, but I'm afraid those times are long gone.:(

The bargain rates are not for those of us booking "S" and "SA" cabins months in advance. We are paying very high rates, I agree.

The 'bargains' are those who book very late, usually after final payment but not always, and they either get very low cost upsells or free upgrades. If the "SA, SB and SC" cabins are not filled at final payment, HAL starts giving them are prices no where near what we paid.

I don't mind all that much once or twice but it has happened on so many of our recent cruises that it is starting to get under my skin. It is adding up to a great deal of money. When I start to feel like a fool for the bookings we make, it is time to give it more thought.

We are penalized for booking early. DH is not retired so we don't book last minute. Because we do HAL the favor of booking early and they know that is one less cabin they have to sell, we ultimately learn many others are in the same cabin as us and paid a lot less than we paid.

It is starting to get very old.

Our on board experience is still wonderful. We feel very well treated and enjoy every cruise. We agreed the price they charged us was worth that amount of money to us or we would not have booked the cruise, however, time and time again, I read here of others who rave at the great deal they get. I'd like for HAL to give some pricing consideration to those of us who over and over book early. Don't penalize those who fill your ship the earliest. We wouldn't dream of booking early if DH was retired or we didn't have to worry about booking air. I'd like to save a bit on our cruise fare, too.

There are NO MORE LOYAL GUESTS than DH and me but this is starting to be an issue for me.

Before Internet and the information age, they could do these things and few knew about it. Now we know due to forums such as this.

I too am seriously considering Oceania. I have a b-2-b Noordam cruise this January and, if I find what others have experienced recently then I will be finding a new 'home'.

It's a shame because I loved HAL, but the only way to affect change in these areas is with your pocketbook!!

I should have added to my above post that I realize part of what I am buying when I book early is the cabin of my choice be held for me. When we book early, we usually are able to have the cabin we want but not always.

That has value to us.

Archived