What differences will I find between Celebrity and Oceana

scotslizzy

I should also add I'm not sure where Hawaiidan is getting the airfares? I recently flew from Pittsburgh to Sydney Australia and back for $1380. How is a flight from Hawaii to NY costing him $2200 per person? I spent a week last winter in Maui and paid $2300 per person and that included 7 nights at a nice beach resort and round trip airfare from Pittsburgh.

I should also add I'm not sure where Hawaiidan is getting the airfares? I recently flew from Pittsburgh to Sydney Australia and back for $1380. How is a flight from Hawaii to NY costing him $2200 per person? I spent a week last winter in Maui and paid $2300 per person and that included 7 nights at a nice beach resort and round trip airfare from Pittsburgh.

The $2200 if from Hawaii to Europe if I used miles Its $1400 Hawaii to NY if I used miles.

Flying Kona to Miami on United costs in March $1106 if I pay cash So thats where I get the $2200 Hawaii to Miami or NY..its for 2

Present air fare Kona to LAX is about $500-600 pp All fares are from United, as I dont fly the discount or mixed airlines carriers ( there are none here)

I am comparing HAL to Oceania right now for 7 night Alaska cruise in May. I am currently booked on HAL in a Deluxe Veranda Suite and the total cost, including taxes and port fees is $4,332 for 2 people. Auto tips are $168. I can eat in a specialty restaurant every night for an additional $350. I can buy a beverage card that will more than last the entire cruise for $225. Round trip airfare is $480 per person. That is a grand total of $6,035.

Comparable accommodations on Oceania would be a Penthouse Suite. For a similar 7 night itinerary in a PH3, I would have to pay $5,649 per person, not including taxes and port fees. That comes to $11,298 before taxes and fees for both of us. And because I live in Pittsburgh, its a $199 per person airfare surcharge. So, its over double the price of a nearly identical cruise on HAL.

I'm not saying it would not be a better cruise, because I'm absolutely certain it would be. But, would it be twice as good?

Hawaiidan, pounds this drum a lot. I'm not sure where he books his Oceania cruises, but I have compared them to HAL for years now and they always seem to come out to right around double the price, all things considered. Maybe on longer itineraries the price comes a little closer. Unfortunately, I'm not at a point in my life where I have the free time to take advantage of longer cruises.

It's double Celebrity too. LOL We apparently are using the same math. Doesn't stop me from sailing O when I want to but I am well aware of the enormous price difference and sometimes I don't see the value in twice the price. Itinerary is key.

We are booked on the Riviera 10 day Caribbean on Feb 02 in a B2. We have no airfare to Miami. Our net (fare plus tips less OBC) is $274/pp/day. We think that represents good value for what O offers and the consistently high past passenger satisfaction that is evident from these boards.

If I booked the Equinox 10 day on Feb 01 in AQ, the apples to apples price would be $215/pp/day.You could adjust by booking a Verandah and adding in cost of specialty dining. I did not include a nonalcoholic beverage package in the Celebrity pricing which would add $14 - $18/pp/day.

This will be our first experience of "moving up" from the mainstream lines. We think and hope that we got a pretty good deal and that we will find it good value.

Every time I have priced another line it is at least as much as O if not more. I have not done it a lot, but it has always been more. This would be with RCI, Celebrity, Cunard, Princess and Hal. Not Crystal, Seabourne, etc.

We are in Canada and the air costs more. Having said this we booked our own air in March to China and were able to get desired flights within the allowance plus what we would have paid for the deviation. We were happy with that until this week when O rearranged flights for people traveling to Europe due to disruptions caused by strikes. We will be on our own in March. Here's hoping all goes well, which is the case almost always. I suspect in future we will go with O's air and let them sweat the details. We have never had any problems with air booked through O.

This will be our 8th cruise, all on O. :)

Mo

We are booked on the Riviera 10 day Caribbean on Feb 02 in a B2. We have no airfare to Miami. Our net (fare plus tips less OBC) is $274/pp/day. We think that represents good value for what O offers and the consistently high past passenger satisfaction that is evident from these boards.

If I booked the Equinox 10 day on Feb 01 in AQ, the apples to apples price would be $215/pp/day.You could adjust by booking a Verandah and adding in cost of specialty dining. I did not include a nonalcoholic beverage package in the Celebrity pricing which would add $14 - $18/pp/day.

This will be our first experience of "moving up" from the mainstream lines. We think and hope that we got a pretty good deal and that we will find it good value.

Caribbean itineraries are usually more comparable as they tend to be a better deal on O. The real differences can be seen in the European itineraries and other exotics.

However, Oceania is in in every respect, for me 20% to 30 % less overall cost on either Celeb and or Holland America.

That, is in fact one more reason I cruise with Oceania.

If you are happy...fine I just want the best value/experience based on my wants and needs

Please forgive me If I have up set you or your mind set....it not was not my intention.

Now that I'm a solo cruiser, I've been comparing some cruises and lines. No doubt about it, HAL and X are far, far less expensive (for me) than Regent or Oceania. I'm only talking about the cruise fare, no air, gratuities, etc. Also, I am comparing HAL or X with balcony staterooms, as opposed to O's oceanview.

Without Princess having a fire sale like they sometimes do, it's cheaper for us to sail Oceania on their 10 day Tahiti itinerary than Princess.

Tahiti was $4,299 pp for a balcony including air, gratuities, and non-alcoholic drinks.

Princess is $2,700 for the cruise alone, then add on at least $1,700 air from Vancouver and then we have the tips, specialty restaurants, soft drinks, etc.

Without Princess having a fire sale like they sometimes do, it's cheaper for us to sail Oceania on their 10 day Tahiti itinerary than Princess.

Tahiti was $4,299 pp for a balcony including air, gratuities, and non-alcoholic drinks.

Princess is $2,700 for the cruise alone, then add on at least $1,700 air from Vancouver and then we have the tips, specialty restaurants, soft drinks, etc.

Exactly...Whether it be a 10 day carribe or 49 day grand cruise I reach the same conclusion when I add total overall cost me . I can not see how one could otherwise fairly compare? ( like buying a car and not adding the tax,licence, extras, del., etc etc and comparing onl the stripped basic car)

Another factor not really mentioned is That these HAL, RCI, Princess Celeb. ships are twice the size and for me sailing with1200 is vastly better than sailing with monster/mega ships 2000 to 3000+ on a floating resort with nickel and dime at every turn .

So, the asthetic value of Oceania is even higher with less people comes a higher quality of experience/life.

For many of us the airfare is irrelevant as we do our own or have miles.

I use miles for air also. But it is anything but irrelevant. My last O cruise resulted in a total of $2,600 in refunds from O for my wife and I in exchange for not using the O air.

We did our first oceania recently, and have sailed celebrity . The excursions on oceania were much more expensive. The smoked salmon was awful on the marina and the "free" cappachinos were awful unless u went to the barrister.

The difference in service was minimal. At least celebrity offers you water and cold wash cloths when returning from an excursion. The food is slightly better

On oceania. Oceania does have more interesting itinerary's and places,that the

Larger lines don't go to. The marina was beautiful and we did enjoy then quieter

Atmosphere around the pool . The average age on our ship was 70 ish and no

Children.

I use miles for air also. But it is anything but irrelevant. My last O cruise resulted in a total of $2,600 in refunds from O for my wife and I in exchange for not using the O air.

The miles you use are not free... You spent real money to get them and they have a real value ( at about 3.5 cents min in real value that the airlines determine)

I treat my miles the same way I treat real money. because it is...its my money. for me spending miles better come up less than the ticket

costs. I would never waste 40,000 miles (read $1,400 dollars) to get a ticket that cost $700.00

So dont write off too quick those miles as a freebee...no way are they.

The miles you use are not free.

Of course they're not. I didn't say differently. My point is that Oceania's free air offer is significant in comparing the cost of cruises, regardless of whether you are using Oceania air or frequent flyer miles.

The miles you use are not free... You spent real money to get them and they have a real value ( at about 3.5 cents min in real value that the airlines determine)
Many of us don't pay a single dime for the miles. All of my FF miles are paid for by the company I work for or the clients I am working with. So, as far as I'm concerned, they are free. I get a lot of them and I use them everytime I fly for personal reasons. The last time I paid money for a personal airline ticket was in 1989. Same with hotel points with Marriott and Hilton.

Many of us don't pay a single dime for the miles. All of my FF miles are paid for by the company I work for or the clients I am working with. So, as far as I'm concerned, they are free. I get a lot of them and I use them everytime I fly for personal reasons. The last time I paid money for a personal airline ticket was in 1989. Same with hotel points with Marriott and Hilton.

I understand your point. To me however, whether my company a client or the easter bunny got me the miles they have the same dollar value.. real money. The same as your company giving you cash bonus.

My view point is that however I got the miles or points is of no concern.

All I want to do is spend that money to get the most value and return on it.

If uncle Bob gave me $1400.and I spent it all for a product that I could have bought for $700, that would have been a waste of money. I could have thus saved the guift for $1400 for a later date for something more expensive.

Hey, like you I have a lot of miles but it seems to me un wise not to get the best bang for the buck. For the same miles 40,000 that would get me a coach ticket to LA costing $496 I can get a Business class ticket to Hong Kong costing $2800. I just dont want to waste money or miles and get the highest possible return.

( When I Get below 600,000 miles I cant sleep well)

Hi ohmark, I think Brian.uk was hoping for more discussion on the differences between Oceania and Celebrity, ie the actual cruise experience, which is the subject of this thread. Whereas some posters have jumped in to use this thread to talk about FF miles etc. If FF miles or other flight details are so important in their own right, then please start a new thread...

Hi ohmark, I think Brian.uk was hoping for more discussion on the differences between Oceania and Celebrity, ie the actual cruise experience, which is the subject of this thread. Whereas some posters have jumped in to use this thread to talk about FF miles etc. If FF miles or other flight details are so important in their own right, then please start a new thread...

Thanks, durante. But just to point out that the discussion as to usage of airline ff miles came about when one of the above posters indicated that O's free flight policy was of no interest to him/her because she/he used frequent flyer miles for the flight. My response was that it should be of interest because O provides a significant cash refund if one doesn't utilize the free flight. Thus, the issue is germane to a cost comparison between a cruise line that provides a free flight (O), and others that don't. To some extent the relative costs of the two cruise lines had already become a significant part of the thread; maybe they shouldn't have or maybe they should have. I don't know.

However, I agree that the thread shouldn't devolve into a discussion of how best to use ff miles. Just wanted to point out how the topic came up and that, at least initially, it wasn't, arguably, OT.

I have only sailed Celebrity once, and that was on Century. I hear the Solstice class ships are brilliant although they are large. I have also never been on the Millenium class ships so my experience may be not reflective of the true X experience.

Firstly I think that Celebrity is excellent value for money and I loved our cruise. Now the differences.

MDR food on Oceania is far better, and O has more specialty restaurants and you dont need to pay for them. The Specialty restaurant on Century (Murano) was however excellent.

Breakfast on both was good although Oceania does fruit so much better. Otherwise the food in the X equivalent of Terrace Cafe was good although the ambiance was less elegant than O.

Waves hands down beats the pool deck grill on X - it is not even a race. O's afternoon tea is wonderful and everyday and included. Murano did a pleasant formal tea on some days but it was at an additional cost.

I am yet to sail on Marina but have sailed on all of the R ships. One of the key differences for me was the maintenance difference. Century was an elegant ship with some beautiful spaces (MDR, theatre) but her external maintenance was not great with rust spots on the exterior, window glass that had misted with age, and a general lack of TLC when compared to the immaculately maintained O ships. The newer X ships may be different.

Ambiance? This is an indefinable thing and different for each of us. For me X was more like a large hotel and O like a luxury lodge. Everything but alcohol is included on O and that makes a difference. I am an adult I dont mind paying for a drink but it is a pain to have to pay for coffees, juice and sodas, and it means you feel like a customer rather than a guest. Of course you could use a package (which I did) but you still have to front up with your card all the time.

Staff are fine on X but there was for me a noticable difference in friendliness and service. X was good, but O went further.

X entertainment is better but that isnt something I am really in to.

I prefer country club casual anytime dining to a fixed dining time and formal nights. I dont dislike formal dining but on some itineraries its a pain. Tendering and embarkation was a queue experience on X, and never has been for me on O.

Active kids would prefer X and will find more companions. There is a kids club. O doesnt do that.

I much prefer O but would sail X again. Frankly X is super value for what you get. I found O to be twice as expensive. Is it twice as good? Well we all know that isnt how this works. After a point the more you pay earns you more but in diminishing returns, and thats how luxury works. The issue is what matters to you, and whether its worth it for you.

My response was that it should be of interest because O provides a significant cash refund if one doesn't utilize the free flight.

The credit will vary by cruise so some are significant & some are not that much in comparison to booking air yourself

Some people do not have FF points

But back to the topic of differences between X & O

I have only sailed Celebrity once, and that was on Century. I hear the Solstice class ships are brilliant although they are large. I have also never been on the Millenium class ships so my experience may be not reflective of the true X experience.

Firstly I think that Celebrity is excellent value for money and I loved our cruise. Now the differences.

MDR food on Oceania is far better, and O has more specialty restaurants and you dont need to pay for them. The Specialty restaurant on Century (Murano) was however excellent.

Breakfast on both was good although Oceania does fruit so much better. Otherwise the food in the X equivalent of Terrace Cafe was good although the ambiance was less elegant than O.

Waves hands down beats the pool deck grill on X - it is not even a race. O's afternoon tea is wonderful and everyday and included. Murano did a pleasant formal tea on some days but it was at an additional cost.

I am yet to sail on Marina but have sailed on all of the R ships. One of the key differences for me was the maintenance difference. Century was an elegant ship with some beautiful spaces (MDR, theatre) but her external maintenance was not great with rust spots on the exterior, window glass that had misted with age, and a general lack of TLC when compared to the immaculately maintained O ships. The newer X ships may be different.

Ambiance? This is an indefinable thing and different for each of us. For me X was more like a large hotel and O like a luxury lodge. Everything but alcohol is included on O and that makes a difference. I am an adult I dont mind paying for a drink but it is a pain to have to pay for coffees, juice and sodas, and it means you feel like a customer rather than a guest. Of course you could use a package (which I did) but you still have to front up with your card all the time.

Staff are fine on X but there was for me a noticable difference in friendliness and service. X was good, but O went further.

I prefer country club casual anytime dining to a fixed dining time and formal nights. I dont dislike formal dining but on some itineraries its a pain. Tendering and embarkation was a queue experience on X, and never has been for me on O.

Active kids would prefer X and will find more companions. There is a kids club. O doesnt do that.

I much prefer O but would sail X again. Frankly X is super value for what you get. I found O to be twice as expensive. Is it twice as good? Well we all know that isnt how this works. After a point the more you pay earns you more but in diminishing returns, and thats how luxury works. The issue is what matters to you, and whether its worth it for you.

Excellent post.

I've only been on the M class of Celebrity and only the R ships of Oceania. I enjoy them both immensely. Next Monday we board Equinox which is an S class ship, I'll be more able to compare them then. Hopefully in the next year or two we'll be able to cruise on the newer O ships.

One thing to note on the S class ships of Celebrity there are 3 to 4 specialty restaurants, all at an extra charge though. Of the mass market ships I've sailed Celebrity is our favorite.

X2 Excellent post that stayed on point. Thanks for posting.

Here is another post that I found informative with a balanced perspective - from a thread on the Celebrity board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35856995&postcount=9

Archived