Air From Atlanta to Papeete, Tahiti. Ridiculous!!!

Sicilian

Hello everyone. Did my first O cruise this year on the Marina to British Isles. Loved it. Wife and I looking at a possible O cruise in Apr 2014. We generally fly out of Atlanta GA. However, it appears the flight from Atlanta to Papeete is a 37 HR ordeal with a 24 Hr layover in LAX. There has got to be a better way. I would greatly appreciate anyone who has done a South Pacific cruise to share their flying experience or who might have some suggestions on flights. :confused: Currently I plan to book flight through Oceania. Thank you so much!!!:)

Hello everyone. Did my first O cruise this year on the Marina to British Isles. Loved it. Wife and I looking at a possible O cruise in Apr 2014. We generally fly out of Atlanta GA. However, it appears the flight from Atlanta to Papeete is a 37 HR ordeal with a 24 Hr layover in LAX. There has got to be a better way. I would greatly appreciate anyone who has done a South Pacific cruise to share their flying experience or who might have some suggestions on flights. :confused: Currently I plan to book flight through Oceania. Thank you so much!!!:)

Check flights with this website - just checked for this coming spring and there are better options. http://matrix.itasoftware.com/search.htm

You probably should consider paying the air deviation fee so you can select your own flights - or at least discuss flight options and find workable solutions. Lots of discussion here on air deviation. It is a reasonable fee compared with the cost of your vacation and it gives you control. You also know about your flights well before others who don't use the air deviation service. You can build in extra days on either end of your cruise if you wish.

Coming back from Papeete, we opted for a longer layover in LAX in order to take a non-stop Air Canada flight home. Trip still upcoming!

You can also ask your travel agent to inquire about how much money you would save if you organized your own flights completely. We did that for our Baltic cruise because it was easy to get cheaper flights from Toronto to Copenhagen - we could do it for the allocation they would give us. Not so for our upcoming trip so we chose Oceania flights with air deviation.

Charter out of LAX first option.

I wouldn't think so, if they had first or business they would have added that with an upgrade charge at time of booking. We live in Palm Springs doing are own air for that reason, don't want to fly coach. We'll also fly into LAX the night before and spend the night, and take are time going to the airport the next afternoon for the flight to PPT. If I was you, I'd just go with the flow and spent the night at a hotel at LAX if you have a 24 hour layover. No big deal--why would you want to fly for 5 hours, wait around a few hours just to get on a plane for 8 1/2 more hours. Start your vacation rested----ATL/LAX, spend the night-have a great dinner-go to the LAX the next day to catch your flight.

Rick

All good advice. Just a query - you don't actually know your flights yet, do you? If you plan to take ronrick1943's advice and stay a night at LAX, you might have to do air deviation. With Oceania air and no air deviation, you get a month or so notice about your flights.

You asked for suggestions - using the ITA Matrix I mentioned earlier, I tried for April 2013 (your cruise is 2014). I found this:

Atlanta (ATL) to Phoenix (PHX) - Wed, Apr 3

US Airways 71 Dep: 7:40AM Arr: 9:13AM 4h 33m Airbus A320

Layover in PHX 1h 2m

Phoenix (PHX) to Los Angeles (LAX) - Wed, Apr 3

US Airways 27 Dep: 10:15AM Arr: 11:47AM 1h 32m Airbus A321

Layover in LAX 4h 13m

Los Angeles (LAX) to Papeete (PPT) - Wed, Apr 3

American 7175 Dep: 4:00PM Arr: 9:30PM 8h 30m Airbus A340

OPERATED BY AIR TAHITI

When I tried only ATL to LAX and then LAX to PPT, I found flights with long layovers as you did. When you do a search with the matrix, you can tweak your results with the right hand column (advisory) to take out risky and tight connections. I don't think you can take out terminal changes because you would be flying out of the US - you would need to go to the international terminal.

So another option. There are more possibilities but you would have to assess the pain you are willing to take!

Will be taking our 3rd trip CHS-PPT (via ATL) in June - have taken the same approach each time - ATL-LAX O/N at LAX Hilton - LAX-PPT on ATN Same thing on return. More relaxing, less stress on connections. Have used ATN for LAX-PPT segments and fly BC.

Thanks for the advice. Obviously with the cruise not until 2014, I cannot identify flights yet. I will work with TA and ask for deviation.

All good advice. Just a query - you don't actually know your flights yet, do you? If you plan to take ronrick1943's advice and stay a night at LAX, you might have to do air deviation. With Oceania air and no air deviation, you get a month or so notice about your flights.

You asked for suggestions - using the ITA Matrix I mentioned earlier, I tried for April 2013 (your cruise is 2014). I found this:

Atlanta (ATL) to Phoenix (PHX) - Wed, Apr 3

US Airways 71 Dep: 7:40AM Arr: 9:13AM 4h 33m Airbus A320

Layover in PHX 1h 2m

Phoenix (PHX) to Los Angeles (LAX) - Wed, Apr 3

US Airways 27 Dep: 10:15AM Arr: 11:47AM 1h 32m Airbus A321

Layover in LAX 4h 13m

Los Angeles (LAX) to Papeete (PPT) - Wed, Apr 3

American 7175 Dep: 4:00PM Arr: 9:30PM 8h 30m Airbus A340

OPERATED BY AIR TAHITI

When I tried only ATL to LAX and then LAX to PPT, I found flights with long layovers as you did. When you do a search with the matrix, you can tweak your results with the right hand column (advisory) to take out risky and tight connections. I don't think you can take out terminal changes because you would be flying out of the US - you would need to go to the international terminal.

So another option. There are more possibilities but you would have to assess the pain you are willing to take!

We are on the 4/7/13 Papeete to Papeete Marina cruise. We are using Oceania air for the first time an took the deviation since we want to come in two days early and stay 4 days in Moorea after the cruise. It appears that for those that are not requesting the deviation a charter flight from LAX to Papeete and return will be used. We are flying out on NYC and here are the flights and times we were given:

NYC to LAX 10:30 am arrive 1:40 pm

LAX to Papeete 4:30 pm arrive 10:00 pm

Papeete to LAX 10:00 pm arrive 9:10 am

LAX to NYC 12:30 pm arrive 9:10 pm

I believe there is a 6 hour difference between NYC and Tahiti. Also, Air Tahiti has an additional flight that flies out on Fridays.

Does anyone know if the charter flights are all coach seating or are upgrades ( biz or 1st) available?

Atlas is the carrier and uses a all coach 767-300er config of std 18 inch wide 32 to 36 pitch I was told. If they do have first...its going to be a 19.5 wide seat with 38 inch pitch with 7 inches of recline. That will cost $900 pp form LA to PPT

Now as to the" 37 hour ordeal"...... Its a peresent fron heaven. Get on your knees and thank God for this totaly wonderful schedule... I would pay extra to do it that way...

Your going to have a 5 hour flight from Atlanta... then a nice night in a hotel, I like Marriott as they pick you up . Hey ,rent a car, take in LA, have a nice dinner, see a show.

Then the next evening you catch a 9 hour flight in coach to PPT.

Doing a 16 hour continious travel in coach with 6 hours of time change is going to kick you in the butt for several days. You will spend the first 3 days whacked bu time and aches and pain.

Spending a day in LA will reduce your time change to mo more than 3 hours !

I fly from Hawaii to europe. and always try to overnight in LAX or SFO

its a 5.5 hour to overnight 12 to 14 hours then a 11 hour to europe.

Hi All,

We have flown 3 times to Tahiti. We live near Toronto Canada and have overnighted in LA twice. The first time, we flew TO to LAX, waited a couple of hours and then LAX to PPT....we were exhausted. I highly recommend staying the night in LA before flying to Tahiti!

Sydney

Now as to the" 37 hour ordeal"...... Its a peresent fron heaven. Get on your knees and thank God for this totaly wonderful schedule... I would pay extra to do it that way...

Your going to have a 5 hour flight from Atlanta... then a nice night in a hotel, I like Marriott as they pick you up .

Could not agree more.

Stay at the Marriot and walk to the " Encounter Reataurant" for Dinner if you dont want hire a car.

Or get the shuttle to drop you near it.

You can get rooms up the front of the Marriot with great views of the LAX Runways .

Ask for a King Corner Room with a Runway view los-angeles-airport-marriott

We are on the 4/7/13 Papeete to Papeete Marina cruise. We are using Oceania air for the first time an took the deviation since we want to come in two days early and stay 4 days in Moorea after the cruise. It appears that for those that are not requesting the deviation a charter flight from LAX to Papeete and return will be used. We are flying out on NYC and here are the flights and times we were given:

NYC to LAX 10:30 am arrive 1:40 pm

LAX to Papeete 4:30 pm arrive 10:00 pm

Papeete to LAX 10:00 pm arrive 9:10 am

LAX to NYC 12:30 pm arrive 9:10 pm

I believe there is a 6 hour difference between NYC and Tahiti. Also, Air Tahiti has an additional flight that flies out on Fridays.

Terrier1 - Quick question - Was the flights that you mentioned what O offered before your deviation request?

Terrier1 - Quick question - Was the flights that you mentioned what O offered before your deviation request?

I am new to the deviation process. In the past we always arranged our own flights.

I checked out flights on my own and their costs since I knew we wanted to come in early and stay late. O's costs were cheaper than what I could come up with even with the deviation so I asked the TA to start the deviation process giving her the days I wanted to arrive and depart. O came back with flights. The schedule was what O offered and what matched what I could see available on line. If you know you want to arrive/depart early/later than don't wait to start the process. You are charged the deviation fee once you agree to the deviation. I then called the airlines and selected my seats. We did this over a month ago and we don't depart till April. The tricky part with Papeete is that O charters planes with Air Tahiti Nui for those coming in the day off departure and leaving the day of disembarkation. You will not see these when you look on line to see what is available. Since we are deviating we are on regular scheduled flights.

I am new to the deviation process. In the past we always arranged our own flights.

I checked out flights on my own and their costs since I knew we wanted to come in early and stay late. O's costs were cheaper than what I could come up with even with the deviation so I asked the TA to start the deviation process giving her the days I wanted to arrive and depart. O came back with flights. The schedule was what O offered and what matched what I could see available on line. If you know you want to arrive/depart early/later than don't wait to start the process. You are charged the deviation fee once you agree to the deviation. I then called the airlines and selected my seats. We did this over a month ago and we don't depart till April. The tricky part with Papeete is that O charters planes with Air Tahiti Nui for those coming in the day off departure and leaving the day of disembarkation. You will not see these when you look on line to see what is available. Since we are deviating we are on regular scheduled flights.

we have always booked our own flights as well but for 2014 south pacific are thinking about getting in early ( a day or two) and leaving a couple of days after the cruise , so we are thinking about deviation.

We have also been reading on several posts that for south pacific at least it is far cheaper to take O's flights with deviation than booking your own.

thanks again

Oceania has used both Atlas and Air Tahiti Nui

Atlas has 18 inch wide seata of a 32" ro 34 inch pitch on a 767-300

Air Tahiti Nui has the 18 inch wide seat but only very, very tight 31" pitch. on a A-330

;)

With the tighter pack on the 9 hour Tahiti flight it becomes highly desireable ( unless you live in LA) to break up your looooooong trip

Oceania has used both Atlas and Air Tahiti Nui

Atlas has 18 inch wide seata of a 32" ro 34 inch pitch on a 767-300

Air Tahiti Nui has the 18 inch wide seat but only very, very tight 31" pitch. on a A-330

;)

With the tighter pack on the 9 hour Tahiti flight it becomes highly desireable ( unless you live in LA) to break up your looooooong trip

One might consider bringing cushions as advertised in Magellan's catalog. ATN has super thin seat cushions. Also, it often feels like the person in front of you is actually sitting in your lap....very tight seat pitch. Ahhh, the joys of airline travel in the economy class.

HawaiiDan- are you planning to do Oceania air or the weekly (sat) flight on Hawaiian Air from HNL?

Yes..I hope to but un sure Here is the quandry, The HNL flight only goes on Saturday and arrives at 1030 pm.. Prior to November the Marina was showing a departure time from Papeete at 11pm. and I figured that they might hold as it take no time at all to get from the airport to the pier... and at that hour

However, last week they were showing that Marina would sail at 8 pm !!!

If that is the case, I fugured they would have me layover in the airport for 6 hours and catch the 6 am flight to meet the ship in Raitea... 80 miles distant.

I would think that it would be far less costly to delay the ship from the 11 pm by an hour because it would only take 5 hours tops to sail to the next port. Flying me to LA, then overnight and an Atlas or Tahiti Nui is a 20 hour affair and 2500 more miles 5.5 hours of flying.

Well I have a few months to worry about it but I will cross that bridge when I get to it

Now... as to the tight seats in Tahiti Nui... getting a cushon will not help at all. The 31 " leg room is the problem and if your over 5' 2" its going to be not fun.. even in an aisle seat. Seat cushons will actualy diminish the 31" even more.

Archived