Why the late check in?

katrus-83

We are going on our first Fred Olsen cruise soon (a 4 night mini cruise) and have just received our check in time which is 15:00.

My question is why do Fred Olsen have such late check ins. We cruised on a similar cruise with P&O in July and we were checked in and on board before 13:00.

If P&O can turn around a ship the size of the Ventura in this time then surely Fred Olsen can do it with a ship the size of the Boudicca.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be too bothered by this check in time if we were going away for a week or more but for a four night cruise! This check in time means that our first day will be almost over before we get on board.

Thanks for the reply Parsman.

I'm sure you're right and we will have a great cruise. I just wonder though if it's time for FOCL to look at the possibility of boarding passengers earlier, especially on mini cruises, so that they can have a little more time to enjoy the ship and perhaps, if they prefer, have something to eat nearer to lunch time.

I think it's probably going to be 16:00 or later before we can get our afternoon tea and with dinner shortly after 18:00 we probably won't

bother.

You should be on board before 16.00 as FOCL check ins are usually efficient, hopefully by checking in later you will miss the 'bulge' caused by the arrival of coaches , which on my last two FOCL cruises seemed to arrive around 2pm.

FOCL don't provide a full buffet on embarkation day, afternoon tea OK but I've never bothered. Perhaps having lunch en route might tide you over till your evening meal?

Thanks for your replies.

I'm encouraged by the fact that FOCL seem to have an incredibly loyal following and that people seem quite happy to put up with a part of their service which doesn't seem to measure up to the efficiency of other cruise lines. The standard once onboard must be really good!

I still don't know why they insist on later check ins apart from the fact that they've always been that way. Having said that one of the reasons that we booked with FOCL was because they look like a more traditional cruise line so I suppose some of their routines may be a little antiquated.

Not antiquated at all. My last 3 checkins with P&O have toldl me to be there at 1500, I just chose to get there at 12 noon. Can't think why they don't give their staff a little longer on the first day of the cruise.

The buffet on Fred Olsen has white tablecloths and napkins for breakfast and lunch and you wait to be seated. I call that sensible and modern. No getting a tray, then your food and wandering round to find a place to sit. Wish P&O would do the same.

Thanks for your reply jeanlyon.

As I've already said I'm sure that the standard once on board is very high and I am looking forward to that. I have also noticed, as I've already said also, that FOCL seem to have a very loyal following which means that they must be doing most things right. I still think, however, that they could improve their check in times, especially for mini cruises, and allow their loyal customers the maximum possible time to enjoy the FOCL experience and give them a decent lunch time meal while they're at it.

I know that everyone has different expectations from their cruise holiday and early boarding will not be to everyones taste but surely if FOCL are as good as people say then a lot people would welcome the chance to board as soon as they possibly can.

Personally, I think the turn-around times on P&O are far too quick. The already over-worked cabin stewards have to clean and prepare their section for new customers in a very short period of time. Without doubt this leads to mistakes and slap-dash cleaning in some cases.

I would have no problem with an afternoon arrival for everyone. We're never there early anyway as we're at the mercy of the coach bringing us from 'Up north'! :D

Personally, I think the turn-around times on P&O are far too quick. The already over-worked cabin stewards have to clean and prepare their section for new customers in a very short period of time. Without doubt this leads to mistakes and slap-dash cleaning in some cases.

Obviously hasn't put you off judging by your cruise history!

• 6 months later...

Just spotted this thread after noticing own the FO site that our check in will be 3pm.

So we really do miss out a meal or is that meal replaced by having it on departure day, ha ha!!! Rather annoying considering we'll have a 4 hour drive and then I presume afternoon tea will be just cold sardines (don't eat bread!) so I won't be getting any 'paid for' food until 8pm?

I'm starting to think we made a big mistake booking FO as we still can't find any details about what kind of dress nights we'll have or port arrival and departure times and it's less than 10 weeks away.

can't find any details about what kind of dress nights we'll have or port arrival and departure times and it's less than 10 weeks away.

Have you looked at the website? the information will appear there when it is available.

Late check in - they will be doing a deep clean then !!

Can you believe what you read. Some idiot already hacked off because they won't get paid for food until 8. I know this is Cruise CRITIC but really. Give me strength.

Thank goodness the rest are not on with Moaning Minnie.

Have you looked at the website? the information will appear there when it is available.

Yes, I looked at the website yesterday and they only have info for the 10th June which was last week and then 18th June which is today!

Late check in - they will be doing a deep clean then !!

Can you believe what you read. Some idiot already hacked off because they won't get paid for food until 8. I know this is Cruise CRITIC but really. Give me strength.

Thank goodness the rest are not on with Moaning Minnie.

Looks like EVERY FO cruise has a deep clean then? Wonder how the 'proper' cruise lines manage????

As for moaning, I think I'm I'm quite within my rights to have a moan, as they do appear to be somewhat lacking to several other cruise lines in the first on board experience I will be having with them. I believed in marketing that it's the first impression that counts as you don't have a second chance to make a first impression, as they say but this isn't going to be giving me that feeling. Have to say that if all passengers on FO are like you then we DEFINATELY have made a mistake in booking.

Now then Minnie.

As it happens Fred do priority embarkation for first time cruisers and all the information will get through to you prior to sailing.

And please learn how to spell 'definitely' if you going to highlight it !!

And I was joking about the deep clean.

I don't often venture onto the Fred. board.....and reading this thread I thought I'd logged on to the P&O section in error LOL

I'm a loyal but infrequent Fred. customer, but they are the only UK focused line on which I would sail.

If you want guaranteed early embarkation then you can always book a suite.....just before sailing you will receive an invite to a special embarkation lunch....handy if you have come a long way.

Must fly,

Edina

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I don't often venture onto the Fred. board.....and reading this thread I thought I'd logged on to the P&O section in error LOL

I'm a loyal but infrequent Fred. customer, but they are the only UK focused line on which I would sail.

If you want guaranteed early embarkation then you can always book a suite.....just before sailing you will receive an invite to a special embarkation lunch....handy if you have come a long way.

Must fly,

Edina

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Unlike P and O who board as and when people turn up, Fred gets you all to meet in the terminal, then start boarding when the cabins are ready, so as soon as you board you can go straight to your cabin, knowing it will be ready. No hanging around in a bun fight waiting for the magic words.

Have a good brekkie, there are snacks in the departure hall when we have travelled with them, then you can camly board, and camly go to your cabin, and unpack. And calmly get ready for the evening.

When we have travelled and they do theme nights, people do seem to partake, when they had maritime? I thought I would be the only one in white trousers and stripey top.....wrong....nearly everyone in the MDR was similary..however I had a glitzy anchor on mine.

It takes all sorts Jean. Of course on the P&O forum it is full of people who get on board early then moan moan moan that their cabin is not ready and there are queues in the restaurant. You cannot win can you? In many ways Fred's idea of keeping everyone shoreside until all cabins are ready stops all that - and there is afternoon tea if you need topping up.

We come down from London on't train (by gum) and I usually tuck away a baguette which keeps me going until dinner and the first night ritual of wondering who they have shoved us with this time. Always fun sizing up ones dining companions.

Archived